Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-05-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
I just put a new Monster Tower, mirror and racks on my Tige. I love it. Only problem is that the monster tower racks leave black marks on my board when I put them in there.

Anyone have this problem, or a solution to it?Upload
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-05-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
I installed a new Monster tower this summer and my boards get black marks too. I just haven't been too worried about it. Try RV black streak remover.
Old    smooth_worm            08-06-2006, 12:02 AM Reply   
I had that problem with my monster racks when I first got them. I called monster and they said they'd never heard of it.. Anyways It seems to dissapear after u get out on the lake a couple times.. I think its just some kind of manufacturing grease on the rubber that marks the boards. Mine works fine now anyways.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-06-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Guess I just gotta get out more :-)

Thanks
Old    bocephus            08-07-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
I was told to just rub something called Vagisil on the scratches and they will rub out. Supposedly it will work on scratches on your boat too, but I don't know. Anyone know where to get it or even heard of it before? Thank Michael for the hot tip if it works.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-07-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
Hehe, do a google search for it. Its a female "personnal" creame. I think someone was havin some fun at your expense

That said, 3M makes some stuff that takes little scratches and stuff out really well. Its a fiberglass cleaner and restorer. Its like 8 bux at Walmart.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-07-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
i'm pretty sure he already knew what vagisil was joel... my monster tower racks do the same thing. i fixed it by buying a black board.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
try cleaning the rubber with a little acetone or IPA
Old     (md5150)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
I'm here to help. MD
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
I was cleaning my interior last night and noticed some black scuffs on my board so I used the MAGIC ERASER and it took them right off.
Old    bocephus            08-08-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
Yes, sand paper will take them off too.

Magic Eraser is a cleaning product comprised entirely of Melamine foam, which, because of its microporous properties, actually removes otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from relatively smooth surfaces. For example, it can remove crayon, magic marker, and grease from painted walls, finished wood, and hub caps.

While this does appear miraculous, it's simply a property of the kind of foam used. The open cell foam is not only microporous, but its substance, melamine, is also extremely hard, which means that it is actually working like sandpaper, but on a very tiny scale, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the subject being cleaned. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure ends up being more like a maze of fibreglass strands than like the array of separate bubbles in, for example, styrofoam.

The substance simply needs to be wetted to work properly, and it does break down rather rapidly, so that a given block of foam generally is seen to last only a single intensive scrubbing session, though it can be used repeatedly for much smaller marks.

While the name-brand "Magic Eraser" is made by Mr. Clean (Procter & Gamble), the foam itself was already a common product before this new use was discovered, and other companies have also began cutting it up and marketing it for its cleaning properties, either under other names, like Coralite Ultimate Sponge, or as a generic product.
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
Our Monster Rack did the same thing and the rubber had to much grip, makeing getting the boards out very difficult.
I used a little 303 protectant on the rubber and now they work great! No marks, easier to use and the boards still do not move! The rubber should last longer now as well.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Bocephus, Are you trying to say that I should not use the Magic Erasers to clean my board because I am hurting sanding the board or was that just a huge piece of useless knowledge that you needed to get off of your chest?
Old    bocephus            08-08-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
I am saying that Magic Erasers are an abrasive. Many people don't know this. You can do what ever you want with the information, I really don't care, I just have a lot of free time. Have a good day dude!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
I am having a great day, thans. How about you? I was just wondering because you aparently know alot about this stuff. I figured if you thought it was going to hurt the finish on my board I would look for something else to use.

These things work great on the vynal in the boat. Am I hurting it with this mild abbrasive?
Old    bocephus            08-08-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
I don't know if it is good or bad for your board. My dealer say just use elbow grease and Fantastic on the Vinyl of the boat. In my truck I used Magic Eraser on the center console. It left a dull cloudy looking spot on the vinyl that won't come off.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-08-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Good idea Scott....I'm gonna try the 303. I don't really care about the scuffs, but the boards can be a bit tough to get in/out of the racks and sometimes the bumpers pull out of the arms as well.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-08-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
just ignore the black marks and ride?
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
toothpaste works too
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I don't mind so much about the black marks, but when I go to put someone else's board in there and then give it back to em all scuffed up....