Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
just watched ds2 over the weekend. great job jason and everyone else who rode and helped put the video together. you guys captured what wakeboarding is all about. style and fun!! all us nor-cal people can appreciate all the locations it was filmed at. only one problem, after watching the video 3 times i want to go ride but i work weekends!! someone hire me as a permenent 3rd in the boat so i can quit my job. go out and buy the video.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Yup yup, good stuff!
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Yeah im hopefully going to be pickin it up tomrorw! or in the next few days :-) can't wait to check it out..
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Thanx Gdog. We are very stoked on the general response we have been getting. It makes it worth it!
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-12-2006, 4:36 AM Reply   
Digging the soundtrack that comes with it.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
I liked it alot . . . worth the purchase, but seriously . . .

If the premise of the movie is STYLE, and riding with a spiked up mohawk is considered true style, then I've got alot to learn. The mohawk was the only thing in the movie that just reeked of trying too hard (and therefore lacked style). I doubt I'll watch that section again.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Josh Smith(with mohwak) is how he rolls. It is not trying to hard, posing, or anything else- that's just JOSH. He is not only a legend in our sport, but has rode the way HE wants for over 15 years, even when it was not cool or when he was broke. He has never changed his style or riding for a camera, tour or sponsor. Watch the section again with this information and know what you see is who he is, not what he wants to be.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Seriously, Josh has been such an ambassador for the sport I could really care less what he does with his hair. I guess I am most impressed with his riding rather than hair style.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Josh kills it. I think his section is SICK!! True west coast style!! Josh is one of the few OG riders still out killin it today. I watched Spray last week, and He is the only old school rider still rippin that never change his style. Its always been big grabed spins with a style all his own. Plus how can you not have mad respect for the guy who was on the box cover of one of the first wake videos, and still kills it after all these years. RESPECT!!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
For me, it's about the hair and Sean O'Brien has great hair.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
i think chase is jus bitter cuz he dont have the balls to rock the mohawk himself, much less ride even close to the caliber that josh rides.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-13-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Chase, I think you're off. The mohwak look is the complete opposite of the typical wakeboarder look. So what is he trying too hard for? To not look like a wakeboarder?

Anyway, go throw on the old school videos where they were just doing away with directional boards. You will see Josh Smith there. He was one of the sports' founding riders.

Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Alright, answer me this . . .

Why would a movie about style and the California Delta need an East Coast rider to throw down?

Tell you what, why don't you get Cdubs (or whatever his homies call him) to chime in on this topic. His writing style has proven to also be in a league of its own . . .
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
While I have a lot of respect for Webb; he would not be the deciding factor as to whether or not I bought the video. DS2 is my favorite movie to date and does a very good job at portraying the west coast style.

Chase, I dont really understand why you are knocking the video so hard anyways, is it something personal? Whats wrong with having a selection of videos to choose from that does not include the same riders in different settings? Do you really like watching the exact riders over and over?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
wow
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
ohh yah, and Sean. Its been a long day

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I know better than to answer chase's comments, but can't hold myself back. I personally brought in the 3 "east coast" riders because they are young stylish riders. Two of the are from Canada so technically they are not East Coast anyways. I felt that unlike other videos we could portray the style these guys ride with and not just their hardest stuff. If you noticed JD can do much harder tricks, but I asked him to put his style out there. Sean O'brien does harder tricks, but we wanted style. I know just about every pro wakeboard in the business and if I need "names" that was a phone call away. Not bragging-just a fact. Those guys are there because we felt that could add a different style, but still be entertaining as heck and they are some young guys that most people had not seen yet.

If you are that unhappy, I'll buy the video back. Geeze does'nt the video do what it says? And for $29 you get a sountrack as well man. Watch 3 or 4 of the sections you like, throw the CD in your boat and get a ride on.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
I liked the video, but i think it sold out a bit.
I would have much rather watched full sections of Jacob locken, Chris Dykmans, Derek conway etc. than watching JD Webb, Sean Obrien and Jimmy Wolf. I have nothing against the latter, but they are not from here. I feel like it's saying we can't do a good Wakeboard DVD without bringing in outside talent, and to me that's a slap in the face to our local guys. It's called Delta Sessions. It should feature solely local delta riders and maybe have guys from outside the area in the extras, not the other way around.

Aside from what was mentioned above, i must say that the filming and editting was excellent. If there is a DS3 my one piece of advise would be keep it local. Our boys can cary a film on their own.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Ya well I wouldent have sold the dvd in my shop if Webb, Obrien and Wolf dident ride in it. It cost alot of money to produce a wake dvd and who you have riding in the vid is whats going to make it sell or not sell. Bottom line is they have to make money and I think there is a great mixture of riders on this dvd and the soundtrack is kicka$$. GOOD JOB
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
What about Almost Famous? Are you not going to carry it because it doesn't have the better known riders in it? I bet you'll carry it proudly when and if it comes out because it has your boys in it. And you know it's a great vid. That's the way it should be.
Unfortunately, i agree that most uneducated people won't buy a video unless they are familiar with the riders. It's unfortunate for them and for the ones who made it. They won't ever be introduced to and inspired by new riders, and because of this filmers/producers will continue to put big names in their DVD's simply because they sell.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Almost Famous is what it says it is, its up and coming riders that our tearin up the sport and yes I sell it because it has one of my riders in it, and to be honest if it dident have Dustin in it I would not be sellin it because it would just sit on the shelves and not sell. The majority of customers that come in to buy wake dvds look on the back and purchase a wake dvd based on who is in it. That may suck but thats just the way it is. Dont get me wrong I think Almost Famous is a great vid that showcases up and coming riders, but if it dident have the local boy Shows in it I would sell very few copies
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-14-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Wikipedia - "Selling out is a common slang phrase. Broadly speaking, it refers to the compromising of one's integrity, morality and principles in exchange for money, success or other personal gain. It is commonly associated with attempts to increase mass appeal or acceptability to mainstream society."

OUCH!

Matthew- I understand that it's impossible to make everyone happy when putting together a video like this, but just because you would have done it differently doesn't necessarily mean we sold out. Sure, we could have kept it 100% local riders and it would have been cool and maybe more "core" in some people eyes. Our concept was to focus on local talent, but also to show riders from other areas "session-ing the delta", hence the Delta Sessions title. Where do you draw the line for who is local anyways, 10mile radius, 20mile, 100mile?

Thanks again to everyone for the support.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
am i local if i was born in the philippines, grew up in socal, lived in guam for 3 years, moved back to socal, moved to seattle, back to socal, moved to norcal, moved back to seattle, moved back to socal, but now i'm back in norcal?
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-14-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Oh, and by the way Smith's mowhawk is freaking awesome. He is the man.

Dont try the mowhawk and expect it to add style though...it wont work.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
uuuuuhhhhh sure Joe! You are a local!(from damn near everywhere)

At first I was a lil bummed that some of the local rippers did not make the main video. But the way I see it is, It puts the local guys (from the extras, or main video) names out there. Cuz like Jeff said alot of ppl will not buy a video if they don't see a big name in it. Now someone in FL who buys it cuz JD is on it, Well see alot of Cali locals killin it. And next time may buy a video cuz D.Cook, Callen, Bird, Locken, Dykmans Etc. are in it. I think its good for are locals to be in a vid with big name riders.

Sean/Jason great job on the video!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
BG, yup EXACTLY.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
I would have liked to see longer sessions of the Delta riders too, but big names do sell, and that's where the money comes from to make DS3.

Matthew, you know Dykmans was hurt, so how were you going to see a full session of his best tricks? He just started killin it again about two months ago.

I personally think it's sweet to see SOB and Webb riding on the Delta also. You even see the Payton kids, Billy Tonis, and several other intermidiate level riders. Not many video producers do that.

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Joe, I think you can be considered a local just about anywhere on the west coast

Sean, I mean no disrespect. I'm simply stating my opinion. And that is i would rather watch Jacob locken, Chris Dykmans, Derek conway than JD Webb, Sean Obrien and Jimmy Wolf. And the fact that they got slighted for better known riders irks me a bit. If these guys can't get love in their own back yard then who is ever going to give it to them? Maybe it should read westsideconnection to the eastside and greatwhitenorth.

I guees the question is, if you didn't add those other guys to sell copies, then are you saying that they have more style?
Style is subjective, but i think we have enough of it in our own backyard to make a good and even great vid.

(Message edited by ldr on June 14, 2006)
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-14-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Sean and Jason, I think the video is Great and I
think Sean is right it's about people riding at the
Delta, not just living there.
Jeff, I think the Almost Famous video sells better were people know the riders. Also Jeff
how's Dustin doing? I haven't talk to Don since
saturday, I think Larry talked to Dustin yesterday.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
BG,
that's a good point. I must say that i hadn't thought about it like that.
By the way i got the play by play of your run this weekend via cell phone from el Daddo.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
He is doin good I say good because I am shure he would rather be riding then sitting at home, but overall I think he is just happy to be ok and I am shure he is counting down the days untill he can get back on his board. It sucks because he cant really do anything at all for the next couple weeks. Not even come into the shop and HELP ME OUT (just kidding Dustin)
Old     (michael_h)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
where can you get this video at, I live in Bakersfield CA sounds like its a great video.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
Heres a place you can get it at if you have no local shops.athttp://www.boardersparadise.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DVD-DS2
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
As a reminder 99% of the Norcals has not been in a video until we did Delta Sessions (1). That is not to say guys would not get there, but it was my money and energy that put Norcal riders in a video and marketed globaly. WakeTV was basically doing the same thing and I just took over the reins once Jocko left. I do not take credit for their successes as each has to earn their own, but when you talk about core or keeping it local, who does more, especially other film makers. I could have made an entire Florida style video for this one, but chose to keep in Norcal and add a little extra flavor. If It consisted or Parks, Harf,Watson, etc. than call me a sell out, but when we make a 1+ hour long video and like 11 mintues of it is other than norcal riders, how can that be selling out. Before DS1 most people had not heard of Kevin Bird, Lockin, Dykmans, and Brady.

Why do you constantly put down things that help your brother? Why not be supportive and say go buy it because he is in it? Your are entitled to your opinion, but if you want to support Norcal than support it. Who else has produced more pictures and videos of Norcal in the last 10 years? Your constant negitivity makes me not even want to take a picture, video, or a phone call from him at this point.

As others have said, if someone in the mid-west, china, germany buys it because of Sean O'brien or JD, does'nt that help NorCal and your brother? How is that a bad thing? It's not like we falsely advertised about what the video is or is'nt.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
And Jeff, Thank you for the support!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
No problem Jason, the vid is sick and it has alot of great riding from alot of great riders! I think you did a great job and I will help out in any way I can. Keep up the great work!!
Old     (michael_h)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
thanks for the info
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Jason, I personally think the movie is perfect, congrats on the accomplishment and thank you for making a video that allows me to say "hey I know him, I ride there, and maybe I will try grabbing like that next time". I think there are always going to be haters and nay-sayers but in all fairness everyone on this board probably knows how much you have done for the local scene here. I also feel that its really easy for people to sit back a sling crap about how they would have done it, blah blah blah... But seriously JB is one of the few ACTUALLY doing it.

P.S> isnt Jimmy a Wakedevil, thus a leftsider?

(Message edited by liquidmx on June 14, 2006)
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-14-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Hey Jason, voice of reason here.....don't make Kevin pay for a big mouth brother. Great kid, great rider. Your first instinct was right. Also, great shot in WBM this month of Rathay.
To all those who think that they can do better, go out and do it. There were a number of Nor cal riders that were injured during the filming and there were scheduling conflicts as well. It was under no circumstances that the DS2 didn't try to get those aforementioned riders out on the boats.Again, scheduling conflicts and injuries. Jason, Sean and crew, great job, great attitude and great movie. Hugs, robyn PS As far as JD is concerned, he is one of my favorite riders for both riding style, ability and all around attitude.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
Ouch!

Hey everyone, I just reread some of my posts and i'm feeling like a jerk here. Truly it wasn't my intent. Team Valdez i truly respect you and your continuous kind words for my brother. I can see that i went overboard in my critique of the film and that was not my intention. I have a ton of respect for Buff, Sean, J.D., Jimmy Wolf and Sean Obrien. and I hope people understand the spirit or intent of what i was saying. It truly comes from a love of watching the local guys. They are great riders and great people.

Team Valdez, Thanks for being the voice of reason.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
more on josh's crazy hair- check out the movie hit it. came out back in 95 or so. it was one of the very first movies that featured alot of style and core riding. josh was rockin blue hair in that movie. so havin crazy hair has been his "own" style fore years and years.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-14-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
As has been the switch toe 3, indy b/s 180s, and heel front flip. Lots of mileaage there, but still running strong.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-14-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
dear whomever opened their mouth about josh smith,

you have no freakin clue. go work on your raleys.

thanks,
everyone that knows of/knows josh smith
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
It's cool Matt. Robyn is right and yoru actions should no affect out promotions of your brother. It's all good man!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-15-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Another Vote for Josh - a super cool cat who's been rippin it up snce the skurfer days in the 80 / 90's and still killin it today with nothing but love for the sport.

"If your not riding for style, then you're not really riding for yourself..." - Josh Smith
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-15-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Buffalow shoot me an email soon. Will be out that way in the net month. Haven't had time to watch the video but can only imagine the jaw dropping footage you all got this past 2 years.

As for Josh Smith. His hair doesn't do the riding. When you have talent, style and area bad ass I guess you can have any hair-do you want. He is a stand up guy and down to earth. First time we met was at Union point on the Delta and talked for about an hour.

No need for the bad mouthing.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
"go work on your raleys"

LOL!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Josh is a OG of the sport. He never gave in to the main stream. I would rather watch Josh ride than any of the top pros on tour. He has keep the west coast style alive and now passed it on to the boys in DS2. Watching Mike S ride makes me think back to the Nelson days. Once again Jason Killer job. Chase go throw you super mans.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
"Watching Mike S ride makes me think back to the Nelson days"

Very true!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
I have to add my 2 cents, I enjoyed DS2 and Jason & Sean captured the riding style in their vision. But lets not knock the skills of the pro riders. It's all wakeboarding. Squid, you have been in the game a long time and I respect that, but I just watched Rusty land back to back to back 720'S and Harf switch T/S 900, JD's whrily 5. I love watching the pro's put it on the line under pressure and step up. The pro's are free riders also when not competing and have a little style also.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-15-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
Well since we're throwing out the pennies . . . .

I filmed East coast guys, groms, girls, Canadians, Socal'rs, Northwest guys, southwest guys and "our guys" as part of DS2. All I saw was a bunch of wakeboarders with all different unique styles getting into the flow.

The Delta just brings that out in riders whether they are local or not. There's nobody to impress, no rush to use up the good water before the crowds hit or the wind comes up at noon and blows the lake out. If the water's not perfect right here it will be around the next turn, if it's no good today it will be tomorrow. It just didn't take very long for any of them to start feeling it.

And if anyone here thinks that JD Webb doesn't have any style well I'd have to question their sanity. That kid was born to be a Delta rider whether it was his first time here or not. It didn't matter what he was throwing down he was just fricken awesome to watch. (and most of the time it wasn't really all that technical) That kid just loves to wakeboard and it really shows.

I don't think we need to argue about who was in this video or who has style. The theme here revolves around the Delta, that it brings out the "style" and the DS series should always stay that way. The faces may change but the spirit that's trying to be conveyed shouldn't. (and IMHO didn't) Nobody sold out here.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       06-16-2006, 12:13 AM Reply   
Nor-Cal people should be brimming with pride over this video. It's home-grown, from the film makers to the riders (even if they don't all live here)! They all rode here. The Delta has a feel and intensity that all riders can relate to, even after one visit. Great water and great people.

Thank you all for making this film.

Is there a chance it will have a screening at the new Disco Marina Bar/Grill- called Bayside or something? It's opening last week of June.

Lastly, Jason could I get a couple of copies for the benefit raffle during the firefighter's olympics in July?
Thanks MB
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2006, 12:15 AM Reply   
Randy, ah yes I kinda made it sound wrong. I also have much respect for the big names if it wasn't for the tour we would not be where the sport is today. I just wish people would under stand that you don't need to do a whirly 540 to get respect.

When I was at West Coast Camps two weekes ago Mike asked us what we wanted to learn on the frist day. Three kids wanted the raily and another wanted a Scare Crow. All I wanted was to be able the grab longer and make my riding look smoother and cleaner and have a good time with new friends that loved wakeboaring like I do.

Alot of kids get caught up in the comps and pratice that run 5 times a day. Same tricks over and over. They are not riding for them selfs but for what the media and judges say is ok.

Jason tryed to show the wakeboard world that you don't need the big tricks to have fun. All the guys that rode in DS2 do it for the love of being out on the water and the way the water sounds when your cutting in pure butter or the way a big grabed floaty air feels. Also how you can hear your friends in the boat yelling when you hit that trick. To me thats what DS2 was all about you can feel it and taste it. Is like your right in the boat as the video is playing. Other videos just don't give you that vibe.

Pretty much what I was saying is that the tour tricks look all the same and it becomes a blur to me. If you have ever seen Joe Umali's double grabed 180 or J-rods huge 180 ot to the flats. It just sends the blood rushing threw my veins. Then I see the tour tricks and it just another 720. Sorry but thats just Squid your will need to excusse me.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2006, 2:44 AM Reply   
I just watched it last night finally and Thought it was great. Not sure if I like it better than the first.DS1 was so good but it's really close. Thanks to all involved with making it happen so old guy's like me can get pumped up to ride and try new tricks. On another note those cats tearing up the ROAM make it look waaay to easy!
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have been talking to the new owner of Bayside Bar and Grill (formerly Woody's and Disovery Joe's) about putting on an event there next month. It isn't locked in 100% percent but it looks good right now. I just need to choose the date. It is between two weekends in the latter half of July. I already have a sick band lined up and we will definetlely have some sort of winch/rail demo.

DS2 will play as well but there will be a lot more going on than just your standard movie party.

Thanks again everyone.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yo Sean, you want to go ride tonight?
Old     (sb1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-16-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I was supposed to leave for Ventura this morning but I got held up, so I am probly gonna leave early tomorrow morning instead of sitting in traffic tonight.

what time are you going out?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
*HIJACK*

Headed out around 5 from Orwood.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-16-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Now this thread has some meat on it!

Marketing 101, fellas (Jason Buff, you should send me a comission check)

Excellent movie, but I still watch Josh's section waiting to see if his hair falls over. It doesn't really seems to which means he either never falls, or regulalrly had to stop, dry off, re-gel, then ride again. A little too "Hey, look at me" for my taste, but probably couldn't more accurately represent true West Coast Style.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
chase,

go wakeboard and forget about mowhawks!!!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-16-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
"A little too "Hey, look at me" for my taste, but probably couldn't more accurately represent true West Coast Style."

Upload

LOL
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
chase, seriously dude, you think that's what the west is about? that's pretty sad.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Joe . . .