Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-17-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
i love to wakeboard but my dad is a hardcore skiier. he says that when he put in the ocean the wind will blow it around and make it hard to get on the trailer. we'll be useing it in salt and fresh water.

what boat is easy to get on the trailer?
has a rampy sized wake that can go nice and flat for skiing.
and is decent priced
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-18-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
Mastercraft is the only (ski/wake) boat company making a saltwater series boat. I don't know of any ski/wake boat that I would want to go into the ocean with, but you could go in a bay with the X2 and CXS. Look them up on mastercraft.com.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-18-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Tige, www.tige.com , has saltwater options: closed cooling engine system, saltwater steering, seawater flush, sea strainer. Just make sure you go with an aluminum trailer with a good set of guides.

There are a couple of guys on www.tigeowners.com (mtnsmith for one) that are running thiers in salt water with no problems.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-18-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Wakecraft is ready out of the box for salt. Rediculously good wake for boarding and great for skiing as long as you don't ski below 30 mph. Slower than that you may not like it. Rodtlg on here is more experienced with skiing this boat through a course, so he may be able to chime in on that more. But if you are just rec skiing it is perfect.

As for getting any inboard onto a trailer in the wind takes some getting use to but when you are its no big deal.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-18-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention that Wakecraft is coming out with a DD version on the same hull as the ZR-6 and a no frills model of the ZR-6 called the ZR Wake. Should be in this next issue WBM as an advertisment.
The DD I undrstand will be mid 30's to the fully decked out ZR-6 v drive at 60k, don't quote me though.

Just noticed that you are in Australia, a dealer or two over there have been u and running and selling boats for several months now.

Good luck with your search.

(Message edited by deltaboy on December 18, 2007)

(Message edited by deltaboy on December 18, 2007)
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-18-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I don't understand how a ski boat will be easier then a wakeboat to get on the trailer, is it b/c of the tower? Using that logic, 90% of the center consoles would also be hard to get on a trailer b/c they usually have a console and some sort of bimini, etc. I think that if you can't get a wakeboat on a trailer in the wind the problem is the driver, not the boat. IMO
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-18-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
A tower with a bunch a speaker catches a lot of wind. Even worse with the bimini up and boards in the racks.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Thats the truth. So it seems like MC's new CTX will be next to impossible to get on a trailer in a wide wind. The center console could be like a huge sail.

One difference in these boats & many others is the type of trailer we use with the side posts on them. They have saved me more than a few times in the wind or on a river with a current.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-18-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
If there is enough wind to make it difficult to get a boat on a trailer, you have no business being on on the ocean in a small boat in the first place.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
Nice. Guess you told'em. Don't buy a boat at all because you can't trailer your boat as good as this guy.

I don't ever ride in the ocean. But we ride in on the Columbia river quite a bit, Vantage, Crescent Bar, Banks Lake, Roosevelt, etc. It's not unusual to go out for the day & have a storm come up in a matter of minutes. Or even just to have the wind kick up, sometimes a lot. I've seen 5' chop & 40 mph gusts before. Makes putting your boat on the trailer interesting, even for a tough guy. Dropping the tower & bimini helps A LOT in windy conditions.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on December 18, 2007)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
a fast flowing river is also hard to launch and trailer. but neither will stop me from going boating.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
Wind's nothing. Try Parker Strip when they are letting water out of Havasu and Parker Dam, with 25 MPH winds, and weekend boat traffic rollers. That place drive me nuts.

Someone already said, don't buy a boat based on trailering. They can all be just as dificult in the right conditions.

If you can't get it off a trailer, then take some lessons before you buy it.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Why would you want to go riding or sking if the wind is blowing that hard anyway?! I would just leave the boat on the trailer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-18-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Believe me, if the wind is blowin like that when we're launching, we don't go out. But if your out there, the wind can kick up in a hurry. The cliffs on the sides are sometimes over 1000' high & the river twists & turns so that parts of the river can be super windy & other parts totally calm. Occasionally you get caught in a windy area & need to get the boat on the trailer...... just like I'm sure they do on the ocean.

Been to Parker plenty of times & seen the chaos there. Jeff's right, having a drag boat screaming by you 50' away on the Strip while your trailering your boat can wreck your nerves in a hurry!
Old     (lachie_mew)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-19-2007, 12:11 AM Reply   
badboy: the boat ramp is in the wind the exact line that i ride is shelted from wind so its usualy always flat
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-19-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
"Nice. Guess you told'em. Don't buy a boat at all because you can't trailer your boat as good as this guy."

Boy you’re a smart one. That’s not what I was getting at. Since you obviously have a hard time with comprehension, I will spell it out for you. If the wind is blowing hard enough on the ocean to make it difficult to trailer a boat, then chances are, the seas are going to be very ruff, hence making a day out on the water in a 21-24ft boat a very miserable.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-19-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Lachie, sterndrive boats are easier to manoeuvre in some situations and the wind always makes it tough to get on, and off the trailer. With an inboard you have to commit to getting it on or reverse throttle until you are far enough out to take a fresh approach run. The nice thing about inboards is you never have to touch the trim or worry about the prop and leg when you aim at the guide poles. That part is easier than an I/O sterndrive.
What ever boat you get can be better for boarding with water sacks. They'll take up some room but don't hurt the skiing. Getting yourself a good wakeboarding tow line is the most important thing to help your riding. The ski ropes don't cut it. Then maybe a tower or extended pylon.

(Message edited by rallyart on December 19, 2007)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-19-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
"Boy you’re a smart one. That’s not what I was getting at. Since you obviously have a hard time with comprehension, I will spell it out for you. If the wind is blowing hard enough on the ocean to make it difficult to trailer a boat, then chances are, the seas are going to be very ruff, hence making a day out on the water in a 21-24ft boat a very miserable."

OK Paul,
I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. Maybe you can help me understand then. If we drop the boat in the water at 10am & the water conditions are great, we head out a mile or so to a small bay where we can get glassy smooth riding all morning, then decide to head back to the ramp around noon, only to find 4' rollers & gusty winds by the ramp....... what are we to do? Conditions in the bay were protected & great. But if the ramp is not, we're going to have to get the boat on the trailer somehow. Are you saying that we "no business being on on the ocean in a small boat in the first place", even though the conditions were great 2 hrs before?

I expect the OP will run into this very scenario on a pretty regular basis, as we do on the Columbia. It's not going to keep us from getting out though. We just have to know when to head back in & how to do it safely.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-20-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Man, I was just trying to point out that if it is windy enough to make it difficult to trailer a boat, then chances are you are not going to want to be out in it. You can run, what if senarios all day. If you are facing 4ft rollers trying to tailer a boat, no WB boat is going to be easy.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
Yea, unfortunately around here the wind can pick up in 10 minutes, then die down again 15 minutes later. It's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, most of the ramps have some kind of protective barrier or cove around them so the 4' rollers don't make it all the way to the ramp itself. It can still be difficult to get your boat on the trailer without getting banged up. Judging from the number of wakeboard boats I see around, it doesn't deter many people from getting out.