Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-20-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/col...l?c=homepage-t

What moron brings their 3mo old to a midnight movie? Sad.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
What moron brings their 3mo old to a midnight movie?
No ****...

What blows my mind, I mean I literately cannot even fathom being able to gun down random innocent people... what the hell snaps in your head to think it is okay? Have these people never had anyone around them die and know what it puts people through?

While I can't even think about it, it is a whole other level of f**ked up that allows someone to actually follow through with this crap.

.... when its all over, who gets blamed? Video games, Batman (movies), the parents, rap music.... lord knows they'll find a scaregoat beyond just this guy being a weirdo
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Its very sad...now taxpayers have to pay for this sh** monkey to rot in prison.

But seriously...have you seen the people who are addicted to COD or the other games? Ive had to defriend a few budies bc they have become brainwashed & addicted to that damn game.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Wes, that question was repeated verbatim at least twice this morning in my house. Once when I saw that, and a few seconds later when my wife saw it on the TV where she was getting ready for work.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-20-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
3 month old, and a 9 year old were victims of this horrible crime. Great parenting.

But, i dont think anyone will ever be able to understand the mind of a mass murderer. Sick, sick.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
In defense of the 3mo's parents... I spent many a sleepless night with a crying 3mo who would only be soothed by laying in her carseat on top of an out-of-balance washing machine, or being taken on a car ride. Honestly, I could see a noisy movie being a great place to put a fussy 3mo to sleep.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
But seriously...have you seen the people who are addicted to COD or the other games? Ive had to defriend a few budies bc they have become brainwashed & addicted to that damn game.
Yes people who play these games are bad people, very bad bad people. Its good that you befriended them. You never know, one day yall may have a difference of opinion on beer, cars or clothes detergent and then BAM! Gunshot to the head. You just never know.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-20-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
I think this is more about our "entitled culture" than video games or guns.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
In defense of the 3mo's parents... I spent many a sleepless night with a crying 3mo who would only be soothed by laying in her carseat on top of an out-of-balance washing machine, or being taken on a car ride. Honestly, I could see a noisy movie being a great place to put a fussy 3mo to sleep.
Subjecting everyone else to your hell is not ok.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-20-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
3 month old, and a 9 year old were victims of this horrible crime. Great parenting.

But, i dont think anyone will ever be able to understand the mind of a mass murderer. Sick, sick.
During the summer I have taken our boys to mid night showing on opening night. Started around 4 and 6 years old. Remember we are taking a child to a safe place not the local bar.

The bad parenting would be the parents of the ***** head that did this. NOT the ones who went to see a movie with there kids.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
Subjecting everyone else to your hell is not ok.
Huh? I'm saying that my now 16 year old daughter would be knocked cold in a loud movie theater.... my hell was trying to get her to sleep in in crib in her quiet bedroom. I never invited anyone there....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2012, 9:34 AM Reply   
I think it is weird to take a 3 month old to a movie at midnight for sure. I think there was also a 6 year old that went that seems weird. That being said these people went to what was thought a completely safe place, it just happened to be late. How could they possibly even imagine something even remotely like this happening. Like Patrick I wonder what the parents of the killer could of done differently. It sounds like she knew he was a little off his rocker as she didnt' seem surprised it happened. What signs did she have and is there something she could of done to prevent this? Something similar happened in Seattle recently when a nut job went crazy and killed a few people at a coffee shop then fled, killed another innocent person when hijcking there car. At least this person killed themself so the tax payers are stuck paying to see the POS rotting in jail and all the court and attorneys fees. One of my employees dated this guys brother and said he was really weird and wasn't surprised about it. The parents could of/should of done more? I am not sure.

No matter how you look at it, it is just plain and simple a terrible trajedy. I can't imaging the pain all the families of the victims are in. No one should have to go through that. I just wish there was a was we could end the killers life without having to deal with a judge, jury, attorneys, the chance he claims insanity or pay for keeping him in jail the rest of his life. Flat out his life needs to be taken.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
I can't wait for the new gun law - Every person 18 years old and older must be trained in the usage of a handgun and must carry one at all times, otherwise they will be subject to a tax. Felons, the mentally ill, etc... are exempt... blah, blah, blah... With this new law few people will walk into a movie theater and do this again...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Huh? I'm saying that my now 16 year old daughter would be knocked cold in a loud movie theater.... my hell was trying to get her to sleep in in crib in her quiet bedroom. I never invited anyone there....
I was just saying in general terms. Taking a crying baby to a theater to get them to sleep wouldn't be very nice.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker_McElroy View Post
I can't wait for the new gun law - Every person 18 years old and older must be trained in the usage of a handgun and must carry one at all times, otherwise they will be subject to a tax. Felons, the mentally ill, etc... are exempt... blah, blah, blah... With this new law few people will walk into a movie theater and do this again...
Never heard of this. Hope it doesn't pass. You shouldn't be required to carry a gun. Thats more government control.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Never heard of this. Hope it doesn't pass. You shouldn't be required to carry a gun. Thats more government control.

I was making a sarcastic comparison to the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, you know, where you they force you to buy health insurance or you have to pay tax...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Oh. My bad. Reading comp. tough today!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
Leave it to tucker/sam to bring some idiotic political b.s. into this discussion.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-20-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
They'll just blame Marilyn Manson again and the NRA will have a big rally and all will be good again. It's a damn shame you can't even go to a movie anymore. Tragic, just tragic.

"I think this is more about our "entitled culture" than video games or guns."

Please elaborate. Is the government giving out arms and smoke bombs? If you are going to try to make a political point at least try to draw some sort of logical conclusion.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettw View Post
Leave it to tucker/sam to bring some idiotic political b.s. into this discussion.
Uhh, last time I checked the media brought it into the discussion literally minutes after it took place... I think its very representative of society today that you call two of the most important topics of our society BS... nope, healthcare and gun control are nothing but idiot political BS... try actively engaging in what is going on around you...

and what's up with you, you didn't call me cliff this time...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-20-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was just saying in general terms. Taking a crying baby to a theater to get them to sleep wouldn't be very nice.
LOL, I never DID, just saying I could understand why someone might.

And do *sleeping* 3mo's bother you THAT much?
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tea party leader tells media to stop ‘reckless and false reporting’ after Batman shooting/

Yes, it was me that brought the idiotic political BS into the discussion... I work at ABC now...
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker_McElroy View Post
Uhh, last time I checked the media brought it into the discussion literally minutes after it took place... I think its very representative of society today that you call two of the most important topics of our society BS... nope, healthcare and gun control are nothing but idiot political BS... try actively engaging in what is going on around you...

and what's up with you, you didn't call me cliff this time...
This particular story has nothing to do with politics. It's just about some p.o.s. killing and hurting a bunch of people. I would say your very representative of the part of society that tries to politicize absolutely everything. It's a shame some folks like you seem unable to just see what's wrong or evil or good without throwing a right/left lable of some sort on it.

I left out the Cliff because last time a real life Cliff thought I was referring to him and bringing sucking him in to a conversation. I didn't want to add any confusion this time.

Now - this guy just plain sucks, and it's a shame the cops couldn't find an excuse to shoot and kill him when they found him. Hopefully he hangs himself and spares his victims the agony of a trial and the public the expense of 'treatment' and incarceration.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
This particular story has nothing to do with politics. It's just about some p.o.s. killing and hurting a bunch of people. I would say your very representative of the part of society that tries to politicize absolutely everything. It's a shame some folks like you seem unable to just see what's wrong or evil or good without throwing a right/left lable of some sort on it.

I left out the Cliff because last time a real life Cliff thought I was referring to him and bringing sucking him in to a conversation. I didn't want to add any confusion this time.

Now - this guy just plain sucks, and it's a shame the cops couldn't find an excuse to shoot and kill him when they found him. Hopefully he hangs himself and spares his victims the agony of a trial and the public the expense of 'treatment' and incarceration.
So you believe in the death penalty without a trial.

Golly Gee Billy Bob, get your gun, we havin' us a lynching...
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-20-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
He won't make it in prison. People that do harm to children of any kind don't really make it in prison
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
LOL, I never DID, just saying I could understand why someone might.

And do *sleeping* 3mo's bother you THAT much?
point was it would probably take some time for him/her to fall asleep. AKA crying baby.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
This whole thing is very sad, I'm not going to get into the political debate about it, but I want to talk about the issue of bringing infants to a late night movie.

When my daughter was an infant she could sleep through anything! I have a few friends who's kids were the same way. One would put their 3 month old in a car seat in the boat and crank up the tower speakers. We would ride while he slept, oblivious to the sound I could hear at 75' back. I have other friends who are big into the late night movies and when they had kids they didn't let that stop them. Their kids (when infants) would sleep through any movie. Granted as the kids got older, that had to stop, but I'm telling you guys, infants can sleep through some loud stuff!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tucker Mc's point above.
Attached Images

Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-20-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Yes, the Israelis don't leave home without it...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
What moron brings their 3mo old to a midnight movie? Sad.
Huh? There is a killing spree and your only comment is about a parent taking a 3mo to a midnight movie? Weird IMO.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-23-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
"Sad" was referring to the whole situation, not the 3mo.

This guy needs to fry.

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-23-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
It's a crying shame some off duty cop or someone "carrying" was not in the audience that night.

But, I guess he had body armor so it would have been difficult to take him down.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-23-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
He had head to toe armor, and the theater was a non-carry zone
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2012, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ok, that makes more sense. Sad indeed. Killing this freak doesn't do anything positive, like terrorism I fear this type of problem is one with no short term solution.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
and the theater was a non-carry zone.

You must be mistaken- if it was a " a gun free zone' than Mr. Holmes couldn't have had a firearm, let alone 3.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
A 'Gun Free' zone sign might as well rea 'commit crimes here cause no one can stop you'. Only law biding concealed carriers obey the rules of 'gun free' zones. Criminal couldn't care less what a sign says.

I heard someone in the media today saying, "Why would anyone own a semi-automatic weapon? You should only need one of those if you are in the military"

I hope he gets the needle quick, without countless years and thousands of dollars wasted on him.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-23-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
Gun free zone my ass. I carry no matter where I go and I would have ended that fool in an instant. You know you are concealing correctly when nobody knows you have it. I'm a responsible gun owner though, I can't speak for the rest of society. I see it this way; if I get caught with a gun in a gun free zone, I'm a dumbass. If I take down a guy like this with my own weapon in a gun free zone, I might get charged but in my mind and in the eyes of the others, I'm doing the right thing. I'll take the charges to save myself, family and other innocent people. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that carry and start power tripping though.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-23-2012, 10:52 PM Reply   
It's unreal that a PHD student with nothing more than a speeding ticket on his record can think it's appropriate for him to shoot 70 innocent people in a movie theater. It's obvious that he knew what he was doing was wrong as he planned it for months and prepared for war. So, it seems like the height of arrogance that someone can put their pain above the happiness of so many people. It's tragic that we don't implement the death penalty swiftly for these cases.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-23-2012, 11:24 PM Reply   
i didn't say the zone was free of guns - I said it was a non-carry zone. kind of like the pool is a non-pissing zone...
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-23-2012, 11:49 PM Reply   
By gun free zone I mean non carry zone. I still carry everywhere regardless. (except airports and buildings with metal detectors)
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-23-2012, 11:51 PM Reply   
I'm still going over your head, Rambo.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
I believe all gun free zones should be required to have a armed police officer during their business hours, or ban "illegally carried guns" targeting the criminals only and welcoming legally carried firearms into the zones. I've seen gun stores that welcome CCW holders and I have never heard of a shooting in any of those stores.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-24-2012, 4:49 AM Reply   
If you are not going to allow a licensed citizen to protect himself on your property, then you are responsible for their safety while on your property. All the victims should sue the theater chain out of business, and then maybe other establishments will rethink the logic flaw in disarming the law abiders.
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-24-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
I think it would be great if this resulted in establishments getting rid of the no-firearm policies. Unfortunately, I think it is much more likely we are going to end up with organizations like the TSA 'keeping us safe' wherever we go.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-24-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
What ifishok said.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
This makes me want a concealed carry permit even more. But in Alameda County, it's illegal to protect yourself and family.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-24-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Interesting writeup here, I'm only about 16 pages in: http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/inca.pdf
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-24-2012, 6:18 PM Reply   
Christian Bale swings by the Aurora hospital a day after Obama:
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-25-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
These things always happen in gun free zones, where OC/CC is illegal. Criminals are not stupid, they don't want to get shot so they only do this where law abiding citizens will not be carrying... Such as where it is banned by law. The more "gun control" laws go on the books, the more of these horrific crimes we will see.

Also note how passive people are these days, government is training us to sit back and take it, just like we sit back and take it from them. That is what they want, helpless tax paying drones. Howe many people were in that theater? 70+? He shot several people point blank, next to other people. It would have been easy to tackle the shooter at that point, get him on the ground and make his weapon useless. Long guns are not effective in a fist fight. At one point his drum jammed and wouldn't feed properly, he could not clear it so he discarded it and reloaded with regular 30 round mags. There was a huge window of opportunity to stop him them, even from across the theater he could have been bumrushed and disabled quickly and easily, even if only by a couple people aware of the opportunity.

Of course none of this happened, as our governmetn trains us to be passive, don't fight back, don't defend yourself. Just get on the ground and wait to be killed. It's sad, but that is the mentality you see in most cities and densely populated areas which are typically full of crime and attract liberals and antis.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-25-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
As a lawyer, how do you even represent this guy? I'd represent him just to see that he burns. Pretend to be on his side until sentencing day and then be like "we changed our plea sir and my client would like the death penalty"... better yet lets pick one willing family member from each of the deceased victims and let them all take one shot at the same time. Save tax dollars, seek justice, open and close. One thing I did see on the media that I completely agree with is one of the fathers lashed out at the actual media for broadcasting all of this. He stated that this being in the media is just giving the kid what he wants adding to his ego. While we all want to know whats going on, I completely agree with the guy.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-25-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post

It would have been easy to tackle the shooter at that point, get him on the ground and make his weapon useless. Long guns are not effective in a fist fight. At one point his drum jammed and wouldn't feed properly, he could not clear it so he discarded it and reloaded with regular 30 round mags. There was a huge window of opportunity to stop him them, even from across the theater he could have been bumrushed and disabled quickly and easily, even if only by a couple people aware of the opportunity...
You must have had some extensive CQB training. Yippee-ki-yay!
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            07-25-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Public torture for any crime like this. That's all I can say about this.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
As a CHL holder, i often run thru various scenarios in a "what would I do" kinda way. The other day I was thinking about this situation as I was actually on the way to the theater to take my boys to watch this new batman movie. I thought, "hmm, Texas is a strong pro-carry state. I'd bet the odds are good that there are more than 1 or 2 other people carrying in this theater.

So what if this happened... some dude starts shooting, but you're not really paying attention because you're handing out popcorn to your kids. but you hear the pop, pop. and look up at about the time someone else who's carrying pulls his weapon and fires on the actual bad guy...who in this particular case is dressed like a swat officer. Without the whole picture from the very beginning, you could see how you could think that the good guy is actually the bad guy in which case you might pull your weapon and shoot him....
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-25-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
I definitely don't agree with everything this dude says, writes or does... but IMO he does raise some interesting discussion points around the Gun Control issue...

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mi...ot-really-guns
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
Christian Bale swings by the Aurora hospital a day after Obama:
The guy in that picture, who got shot in the leg, is actually a college friend of mine...we both played football together at Winona State. He's been doing a lot of facebooking and seems in good spirits.

Definitely a tragedy that America will remember for decades.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-27-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
It seems the gun control debate may be over when anyone can "print" a working AR15....
\
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...3d-printed-gun
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-27-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Was just chatting with a guy who lives here in Croston: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...nd-threatening