Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Coltj11            05-07-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
Alright.. well I am working on a boat that isn't exactly a wakeboard boat but I know you guys are knowledgeable about all boats so here's what I got... I had an older boat I am trying to get going with what I believe is a ford 502 engine. I had the boat running back in high school, but it has been sitting for about 4 years unused and unstarted.

I tried to start it today, and had no luck. it would turn over no problem, and gas was getting to the carb, but it didnt even make a sound like it wanted to start. When I would turn it over a while then let off the key it sounded to be turning backwards a rotation then put a small puff of smoke/steam out the carb with the air cleaner off..

Any ideas on what I should check? the plugs appeared to be fairly good. How do you check to see if they are getting spark? Any help would be great!
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       05-07-2014, 9:01 PM Reply   
Buy a spark plug tester. If you're getting spark spray a decent amount of starting fluid in the carb and try it. Sometimes ether (starting fluid) is better than gas. If that doesn't work pull the line from the fuel pump that runs into your carb, crank it for a while 10-15 second intervals with the line in a can until you get a good flow of gas making sure its fully primed. Re attach the hose to the carb and try to start it. Also make sure youve got good new gas in the tank. If none of that works it may be an ignition problem.
Old     (Motosno963)      Join Date: Mar 2014       05-07-2014, 10:02 PM Reply   
id check spark as well..also, how old is the gas?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-07-2014, 11:05 PM Reply   
It's not the best way, but you can check if it's getting spark by pulling a plug attached to a wire still and put it on the block and crank it. You should see a spark arcing from the plug to the block. This is a basic way to check. It won't tell you if it's good voltage but you can kind of judge that from sight. Otherwise you can pick up a spark checker at harbor freight for $5
http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-...ker-69014.html

I would also check about the gas too, try some starting fluid sprayed down the carb, if it starts up for a second, you know it's having a trouble with the gas, possibly being varnished and bad or it not getting to the carb adequately.

Pretty much what has been said but including a rudementary method of checking spark.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-08-2014, 3:55 AM Reply   
Just to throw it out there, I know you said its an old boat but does it have a safety landerd or kill switch. You could check that too, I got stuck on the lake when a friend pull mine out and put back on right and didn't tell me. It could have got messed with in four years.
Old    Coltj11            05-08-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info! I will be trying the spark method today! the gas is new as it was stored without any. Is the way that it seemed to turn backwards a rotation after i quit turning the key normal? thanks for all the help! btw no lanyard/cutoff switch!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-08-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
The engine turning back slightly when you let off the key is normal. It is just going back to the closest full tooth on the flywheel when the starter disengages.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
That back spin is from compression without ignition...post pics of this ford 502....I don't think there is any such thing...maybe 302? 351? What rotation? Could have the wrong starter. What is the boat?
Old    Coltj11            05-08-2014, 11:52 AM Reply   
Alright so here's what I got.
Checking the spark plug there is no spark until I let go of the key then there is a nice blue/white spark.

Pulled distributor cap and it spins In the counter clockwise rotation. I will get some pics up when I get home, but it is an older speedboat we redid as kids. And engine is definately bigger than that but I could be wrong on exact #.

Also top of engine reads
D4VE C1B also has a 10 beside it.

firing order 15428378

Thanks! It's an accel distributor and wires which were replaced a while back but hasn't seen much use since.
Old    Coltj11            05-08-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
looks like it might be a ford 460 engine.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-08-2014, 1:11 PM Reply   
It's probably a 460, but the firing order on a 460 is typically

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 which is what I think you meant since there's two 8s.

Make sure your plugs are going to the right location on the distributor cap and the plugs themselves, maybe you switched them around when swapping them out.
Old    Coltj11            05-08-2014, 2:05 PM Reply   
I think your right sorry typos tend to happen in the rain! My distibutor cap is broke in the center for the wire that goes to the coil. hopefully thats all it is! Ill keep yall updated thanks for all the help!