Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
hey, can anyone give me any info on what a wedge is, and how it compares to fat sacks.... I'm thinking of getting one or the other.. thanks!
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-01-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
The wedge is a product designed by Malibu exclusively for Malibu Boats it is a upside down hydrofoil designed to pull the back of the boat deeper in the water. You could call Malibu and see if it is designed to fit your specific boat.

(Message edited by John d on September 01, 2004)
Old    wakeboarder408            09-01-2004, 10:56 AM Reply   
I just recently started riding behind a 04'Malibu Wakesetter with the wedge down with filled ballasts and man, let me tell you the wake is huge and scary. The first time going off the wake, it shot me straight up and straight down on my ass but after a few runs and another 5ft longer, it was sooo much better. The boat owner told me the wedge is almost equal to another 1000lbs of ballast.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
It makes a big difference. Not all Malibu owners like to use them, but I like the extra kick it adds to the top of the wake. It makes huge difference on the LSV (23').
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
a big dip of Kodiak
Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of where I could see a pic of one, or get info on them? I've got an older boat.. a 1990 Malibu skier...

http://www.flashingback.com/malibu

thanks for the info!
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
thats a clean looking boat to be a 90!!!
I would be that boat whore all day.
Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2004, 12:45 PM Reply   
anyone know of a good Malibu dealer where i could talk to someone about a wedge, and I also need a new windshield... ?? thanks!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   

Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-01-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Where would I buy one of those?
Old     (hiking42)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-01-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
I have the older wedge with the pin that holds it in place. Does anyone know how much the newer versions with the springs cost? Thanks
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-01-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
To answer your question, you get a wedge when you fall butt first, and your boardshorts go up your crack. How it compares to a fat sack I don't know. A fat sack is probably what you get when you hit the water butt first and slap your testicles.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-01-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
That's exactly why I prefer the Wedge. The fat sacks just hurt to much.
Old    wakeleech            09-04-2004, 1:24 AM Reply   
It's when somebody drives your shorts squarely up the back o' yo' crack, giving you 3-4" of lift ;)
Old    angels5            09-05-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
Anyone with a Malibu run into issues with a wedge being ripped off the back of their boats. We're boat shopping and another dealer showed us pics of this. Granted it was an older boat, but it'd be nice to have other feedback
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
jacqui, yes, I had my wedge come halfway off, Malibu replaced the wedge, and the wedge manufacture supposedly has fixed the problem. Since I replaced it, no further problems
Old    scorched_ice7            09-05-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
I know there was a huge complaint with someone almost taking Malibu to court when the Wedge hit a rock or tree that was underwater ripping it clean off causing a hole in the hull and the boat sunk. Chances of this happening - extremely small, but there still is the risk. This I believe was with a 2003 boat. If stuck by a hard object at a fast speed I think they might have designed it so it pops the pins or something and doesnt rip out of the hull. I however dont own a Malibu so what do I know
Old     (512boarder)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-05-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
it only sticks like 3 or 4 inches past the the bottom of the transom. i cannot see how this person managed to hit a tree underwater without having it hit the rest of the hull as well. from my experience, it is a most excellent device.
Old    tclagggym            09-06-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
I've never figured it out why someone would speed over 45,000.00 for a boat and have to manually go back and put this "wedge" thing down. For that munch money a trap door in the back should open up and the "wedge" thing should come out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
"I've never figured it out why someone would speed over 45,000.00 for a boat and have to manually go back and put this "wedge" thing down."

Because it's a hundred times faster than filling ballast sacs.
Old     (cgutzmer)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-07-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Yeah I have heard all the stories of the wedge ripping off but the prop is actually lower in the water then the wedge. I just screwed up the prop hitting stuff this weekend and nothing happened to the wedge. I have never had a problem with the wedge I love it.
Old    tclagggym            09-07-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
J-Rod - sorry if I offended you, I just think for that kind of money it should be automatic? It just seems cheap.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-08-2004, 5:47 AM Reply   
Tim,
Actually the wedge is only like 5 to 600 bucks. Its the hella nice bu that is worth every penny of the remaining $$$.

Now, spending 60 thou for a natique? What I think it should do (for that kinda money) would make you blush.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
Tim, I wasn't offended at all. Sorry if it appeared that way!

I agree that it would be VERY cool if the wedge could retract automatically with the flip of a switch. That way, when my rider drops, I could flip the wedge up before I bust my power turn to pick up my rider!

But really, it seems like there would be a lot of room for mechanical failure. The wedge is under a lot of strain. When you flip it down, the manual process assures that it is locked into place. I even feel to make sure both pins have slid into place.