Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I saw a toyota epic sx for sale recently and I am trying to upgrade to a vdrive. I don't know anyone who has one, but the only thing I have heard is that they are excellent for gas. any owners out there? or anybody who has ridden behind one? thoughts
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
there are a few owners on here, i dont know much about them. but from what i have heard they are solid built boats.

check here

http://epicmarine.com/
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-09-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
My last boat was a Toyota Epic X22 -- their 22' direct drive wakeboard-version boat. I absolutely loved it... in fact, have had moments of regret since I sold it. It never gave me one major problem, and never left me stranded -- it's reliable as hell. Change fluid, plugs, impellers... and it's bulletproof.

Loaded down, I typically burned 3-4 gph... The v-drives' fuel economy is similar. I've been behind the Epic SX also, it throws a great wake -- long transition with a nice firmness to it with added weight. All the ballast is under the floor, and there is lots of room in the compartment behind the engine, on either side, and under the bow seats to add more weight... though they do need a 60/40 - 50/50 weight ratio. They are very well-built boats with an amazing community.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-09-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Here is a photo from the vault -- "Cyclone" & my Epics at an undisclosed location... Cyclone's is the Epic SX v-drive, mine was the X-22 direct drive.
Upload
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-09-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
I've owned two Epics, they are great boats, super comfortable and good on gas. They are big boats, lots of room and storage.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
Great boat!

If I were in the market for a boat, I'd buy a Toyota again, just like Psyclone did. All of the points above are accurate (although mine's a d-drive, so I can't speak to the wake of the v-drive).

One other item, the cost of ownership in terms of depreciation is very low. I've had mine for five years and could sell it for the same price that I paid for it.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
is this a good deal?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/674010716.html
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
Hey Jeremy,
Give Mark at SkiMasters a call & ask about that boat. Chances are they sold it originally & have done some or all of the maintenance on it.

I've done demos & exhibitions using his Toyotas & never had a problem with the boats. Nice wake & ran great...... ran really quiet too.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Check the NADA guide for general pricing info. Also, check:

www.epicmarine.com

and click on classifieds and you can get an idea of what people are asking for them.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-09-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
to each their own i guess. i had a chance to spend the day on a 2000 epic x22 DD. factory bimini is a joke. so low you will hit your head unless your under 4'10". im a bigger guy and boat worked very hard to pull me up. this DD produced a good slalom wake but the wakeboard wake is a joke granted this was no ballast. i know your looking to a V drive so it will be different. overall it ran smooth but its a cramped little boat and not a fun boat to be in for a day on the water IMPO. i have ridden in alot of ski boats and would have to say the x22 was the worst one i have ever been in. i dont know a whole lot about them really but i spent enough time in this one to know it was not a boat for me. good luck in your search.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-10-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
That's funny, its a 22ft D drive, one of the biggest ever sold. Tons more storage and room than a V drive nautique. Wide beam and deep gunwales. Mine wouldn't fit in a standard garage with the platform removed.

The bimini is low but it is great, you can trailer at 70 with it. It's also great if you have little kids or someone that needs to be out of the sun. It also rocks when it rains. If the boat has one and you want to get rid of it you can get top dollar for it, they don't make them anymore. I love the way the tower looks and works (extremely solid, no squeaks or shakes) but my one complaint is that it is a bit low.

New acme prop fixes the pull up problem when heavily loaded. I ran 1750lbs in that boat (X22) with five or six people. One sack in the walk through, one big one in the huge trunk. Still room for jackets with a 1k sack:-) Theres tons of room for an underseat sack on the X22 up front, all hidden weight. I had a four blade OJ but the stock one was fine, but I weigh what I did in HS.

Perfect pass is a must on any Epic. I think thats top dollar for that boat, esp. without PP. It may be very nice though. It has ballast tanks in the hull of the boat with digital level indicators. Only 700 lbs but it's under the waterline. Pretty cool for 2001. Many of them came with Accuski but that is pure junk.

The boat in the link is an 01 SX gravity games boat. Here are a couple of pics of mine, can't tell what color scheme that boat has, mine is the obnoxious color scheme, yellow and purple:-) It was my friends boat, I paid a little more than it was worth but it was in perfect shape and he waited for me to sell my boat. There have been a couple of real deals lately on these boats. They are in specific areas of the country because there were only 15 dealers. A lot of them are going north these days, eh?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload