Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-28-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
I just sold my RZ2 and am looking for a boat that will get used mostly for wakeskating at about 16 mph. Most boats, especially V-Drives seem to have pretty washed out wakes until you get around 18-20 mph. My bud has a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter inboard that I ride behind and it has a fantastic wake, even down at 14mph where my youngest rides. I may end up with one like his but wanted to get others advice first. What boats have you wakeskated behind that have clean wakes down at about 16mph.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
why do you wanna ride that slow ?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
i really don't think many boats at all will have a clean wake at 16. it seems at that speed it would be hard to get the baord to pop properly.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-29-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
I ride normally at about 18-20 but have sons and a wife that like to ride slower. The wakesetter is impressive as it's clean from about 14 up. Probably slower than most people ride so may have a hard time finding people that know what their wake looks like at "sissy speed"
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-29-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
check that with a gps?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2008, 4:06 AM Reply   
Hey Bill :-)

You probably already know this but the smaller boats generally do better for this area; big boats with big beams are best for big wakes but they have to be travelling faster to accomplish it. Best boat I know of for slower speeds/nice wake are the direct drive air nautiques due to their smaller size and skinnier beam. Not great for rougher water, or filling with people but they make for a beautifully formed lip for skating behind at the lower speeds...

I think you may have to compromise though and go bigger - there's no way you'll get more than like 3-4 bikini models in one of those smaller direct drives. ;)

Mike

(Message edited by brit_rider on April 30, 2008)
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
Great point Mike with model space I agree bigger boats may just not be able to have a decent wake down there. I do keep a handheld GPS with me in the boat and use that to monitor speed most the time. It's also fun to take on a jet ski as nearly all are slower than the speedometer?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-02-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Monster, you weight the bow heavily to clean up the wake at slow speed and don't weight the rear. If you have a wake plate it will help a lot.
I tow my kids on skate or board below 16 all the time. My Daughter likes to try her spins at about 10 mph inside the wake.
I have a Sanger D215 with adjustable plate and can get a clean wake as low as 11 MPH at 50'. The wake is about the same up to 15-16 at which time the wake is clean back to about 65'
At 16 mph I can start adjusting the plate to steepen the wake and my 8 year old cleared wake to wake on 50' or rope at that speed at the end of last season.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-02-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Bill,
Yeah its weird that... my SeaDoo has a tendency to think its going faster than it is... Running against the boat (boat topping at 50) the ski thinks its doing 60!

So have you taken a trip to the boat dealer with your cheque book yet? Any ideas on which way you're leaning yet?