Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-14-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with this? i had two unfortunate incidents last year where i had to hotwire my boat, and thought that this might be a good solution for me. I am just wondering how well it works, and if it is more of a pain in the ass to use than a key. If you have one, can you please post your comments on it and maybe a picture of it installed. thanks
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-14-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have a keyless ignition on my Super Air Nautique and I love it. Never have to look around for the key.

But if you are prone to forgetting / losing your key, why don't you just hide a spare key in the boat someplace? I like the keyless ignition, but not to the point where I would install one after I already had the boat.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have never taken the key out of the ignition switch.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
I've been eyeing them myself. You can get one for a Merc for as little as $40 now. The only thing that concerns me is that there is a factory reset code. I was trying to find out if the factory code was different for each unit or not but I got distracted and didn't get back to finding out. If the factory reset code is the same for all units, then you're no better off than Karl from a security standpoint. I've been there with the key situation twice myself. Once was leaving them mat home and the other was when the keychain broke and I didn't know it until I got home. Fortunately back then I was using the outboard so all I had to do was read the number off the ignition to a Evinrude shop to get the right key. Too bad Stanley doesn't have the same policy so I did have to use some bolt cutters on the padlock on the trailer tongue once. I now have 4 keys for my outboard. I may end up getting the keyless myself for my Merc but it's not at the top of my priorities yet. In the meantime, I just keep a spare key in my wallet. Here's a review of the model I'm looking at.
Old    musner            03-15-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of one I bought on Ebay a few years ago – around 30-40 bucks.
Upload
Pros:
- No keys to lose.
- Never need to carry a key around (good if you have no pockets and are carrying two beers – ahem, drinks).
- Automatically operates blower when engine is at idle or stopped.
- Can be easily locked with a custom code.
- No extra keys on a key ring to swing around and scratch stuff.
- Easy to install.

Cons:
- It's an eyesore. How easy would it have been to make it nicer looking?
- Two small holes for mounting screws.
- Having to explain to everyone that rides on the boat what it is.
- Having to explain to a new driver how to use it.
- It beeps when it turns the blower off prompting the inevitable, "What was that?"

Over all, I like it.

-Mike
Old    wakemonter            03-15-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
Does anyone have one of these on a Supra or something similar ?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
They are a no brainer to install, I have one that the dealer put in my Toyota, they also do Supras,

I have the instruction manual, I could scan it and post it when I get home (10 days)

They can be a pain, little kids always pushing the buttons and my keypad is not fully functional. It starts and stops but the code part is inop. I concur with the cons listed above, I would have replaced it with a key switch if it were not for the two holes:-)

I looked it up on line last week,last week, it runs 179$ or so on line.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCRUISER-KEYLESS-IGNITION-SYSTEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31284QQitemZ4510 534711QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like they redesigned the panel?