Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    jch            03-08-2006, 11:47 PM Reply   
I am an product design student and am interested to know what features your ideal wakeboard tower would include if money was no object...things like a certain type of speakers, camera mount, type of lights, bimini style, overall look, how many boards the racks could hold, etc.

What do you think about having an onboard LCD projector and screen to watch videos? Would you use it, or do you prefer to watch videos off the boat or on a monitor?

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-09-2006, 1:06 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I think LCD's and video screens in boats in general are lame. I want a tower with above all usability, good visibility and out of the way for moving around. I want something meaty that looks visibly strong and is so. No rattles or flex is a must as well. It should be able to completely fold flat and hold a grip of aftermarket speakers and racks. The only towers that I have found to do all of this is the Proflight Chubby and the above Illusion. As for that bimini, Iplayed with it the other day & while kinda cool, the only thing it does worthwhile is add a spot to hook more speakers. It was far too heavy and cumbersome.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
One that when folded would fit into my garage. Didn't realize it wouldn't until after I bought the boat
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Jill, interesting project. Most people with a tower also want a bimini. Typically they are two separate structures and it gets pretty busy. I would like to see something where the bimini is fully integrated into the tower; almost like a hardtop option.
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Okay, here is what i want. A tower that is incorporated into the windshield, and still looks cool. I hereby give someone my permission to take this idea and run with it! How cool would that be? I have seen it in some aluminum sleds, but never on a wakeboard boat. I think it might just be the next progression for towers.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-09-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
I would love to have a tower that was motorized for lowering and erecting.
Old    nettlesbe            03-09-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Joe, interesting idea - an integrated tower/windshield might look cool. But I wonder if a tower is really stable enough to attach a windshield to it?
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
integrated tower/windshields popped up a few years back, I think someone that worked with the old Toyotas came our with something
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
also on the motorized tower idea, Metcraft has a system right now that would be so easy to make powered, but man would it be expensive.

Take the IllusionX tower with the new easy folding springs and cables, instead of adding springs to the cables, use two of the rams utilized by the power wedge. Now you'd have to pull two pins to unlock it, then hit a button and it would lower.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-09-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
i like machew's example.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-09-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
I'd have to vote for this camera mount,
but maybe I'm biased...
Upload
www.wakevideo.com
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2006, 11:51 PM Reply   
The tower in the windshield design i was thinking of would most likely be a thick tube 2-2.5 inch windshield frame that is anchored into the boat with strong reinforcement. I saw it yesterday on a fishing boat, it looked nice, but it needed a wakeboarder's design influence to make it sweet!

This would make the tower look so much more like a part of the boat, instead of an afterthought.

Oh, i would also like to see a Bimini that is similar to a T-Top you see on center consoles, that is easy to put up and take down!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-10-2006, 1:24 AM Reply   
The purpose of a tower (vs a pole) is:

1) hold racks
2) hold bimini
3) hold speakers

The tower should:

1) look good
2) not tangle with the rope
3) not obstruct boat entry

Options should include:

1) spinning racks
2) room for 4 racks
3) a large useful bimini

Integrate the bimini into the tower (somehow) to get rid of all the damn bars.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-10-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
what kind of tower did machew post? and what is going on in the picture? i havent seen that one yet.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
that is the IllusionX tower with the Z5 Sport rack installed, it is in the down position so you can retrieve boards off the top of it
Old    nettlesbe            03-10-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
Integrate the tower with the windshield

Integrate the bimini into the tower

Integrate the speakers into the tower

Integrate the racks with the tower

Seems like all ideas that come from a desire to simplify clutter. Bimini's, racks, speakers and all are mostly made by aftermarket suppliers and stuck on the tower. Sure, they are getting more attractive all the time, but the boat builders will hopefully start designing more of the components together, the IllusionX in machew's post being a step in that direction (IMHO).

Hey trakkerguy - that's a lot better looking than your other trakker mounts, but what the heck is that the arm is attached to???

(Message edited by nettlesbe on March 10, 2006)

(Message edited by nettlesbe on March 10, 2006)
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
what about the height of a tower, is that a standard, is there any reason why they cant be higher. i thought i saw a pic of one in the back of wbm that had a taller tower on top of a normal tower.
Old     (shocker)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-10-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
can any onefind that pic with the x star with two dirtbikes on the roof
Old     (theoneandonly)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-11-2006, 1:49 AM Reply   
i like this one
Upload
Old    nettlesbe            03-11-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Jill Holm, Does that mean you're going to do some kind of project? If so, how bout posting what ya come up with???
Old    jch            03-11-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
WOW, many thanks for the terrific input, everyone! I'll let you know how my project goes!

-Jill
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-11-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
you guys missed a point- 2 front row seats integrated into tower as above.
thats sweet
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       03-11-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
yes seats integrated in the tower is the sickest thing ive seen...also if somone could come up with a rope-winder that could be controlled by a button on either end of the rope handle so you could control yourself how far away you want to be from the boat at any point while your getting a pull that would be sweet
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-12-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
can anyone tell me what brand the green box is on the Bu illusion in this thread.
Or where I might find one like that bat wing shape w/flat on the bow side in center that will take 4 6" rounds on the back and may or may not have room to hole saw tweets next to each 6' for a flush mount look.

Thanks J
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Upload

Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
J it's a Liquid Trends box.
www.liquidtrends.net
Old     (padavi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-13-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
a motorized one would be pretty cool-but its still gotta be sturdy
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-13-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
joe lendahl - Taylor Made Products had a prototype of a tower that used a beefed up windshield frame as the support at the Miami Boat show. Looked pretty impressive but likely will only be availabe at OEM on new boats.

I always thought a tower that could retract like a convertible top would be awesome but it would certainly be expensive.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-13-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Monster, Had the same idea. Something retractable and telescoping. But it would need to be built into the boat design ground up.

Things like this always make me think what the heck boat designers do.......or do they even have designers.

On the same note, would it be cool to see concept boats of the same caliber as automotive standards.
Old     (trakkerguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
On the cool concept boats idea.

How about a reality tv show, sort of a cross between "pimp my ride" and "great biker build off". Shops like Sound Illusions build concept boats for upcoming shows, while the camera follow them around. Boat show visitors vote on the winners. Everyone gets good publicity, sells more bling and brings more $ to the industry.
Is a little like what Grant does posting pics for all to see now.

Yeah, maybe I've had too much caffiene....