Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    alanp            07-12-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
my friend and i were talking about this the other night. im thinking about starting to learn 3's switch. im pretty dailed on hs bs, hs fs, and ts fs 3's(gonna start ts bs soon). but is it even worth it to learn any of these switch. it seems like most people(myself included when im not really paying attention) dont even realize what type of spin is being thrown much less if its switch. i guess it sounds impressive to say i just threw a switch whatever but to what avail. so the questions is would you save the aches and pains for something else? an additional invert, trying to spin o/a, or land 5's?
Old    wickedwake            07-12-2005, 8:18 AM Reply   
You are right most people wont know if you are spinning or even riding switch...But if you compete you get huge style points for doing anything switch. I ride with a guy here that spins like crazy and he can do everything in his bag switch...I have so much respect for him.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-12-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Off axis is really easy to learn and its the most fun you can have spinning. I have actually forgotten how to spin flat except on hs bs. You can spin a whole lot faster off axis.

As for switch, I have always wanted to try a hs switch 540. I can do a regular hs 540 and I thought it would be easy to do one switch since im landing regular. We will see, I normally forget about trying it because Im always trying to stick stupid flippy inverty tootsie whirly 9's.
Old    natxbrotha            07-12-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
i think learning all your tricks switch helps you in learning other tricks. plus, it helps you out if you want to compete.
Old    alanp            07-12-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
good points. i think the only reason im considering switch 3's is to help with progression down the road. we'll see. i still wanna get the ts bs 3 down.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-12-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Everything is worth learning switch.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-12-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
For some people, spinning switch is easier (e.g., some pros spin switch toeside for 1080's tries). I learned switch heel and toe 3's on a couple tries, and I never learn stuff quickly. My form is a lot better switch. I did lose switch toe 3's as I've gone to a longer rope...sour. I should get that back, huh?

Give it a go..what's the worst that can happen?

Old    eastcoastjedi            07-12-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
learning switch is definately not a waste of time.
who cares about contests, do it for yourself it will make you a more versitle rider and ultimately let you have even more fun on the water.
I can't beieve people actually care if someone else "recognizes" that you are riding switch.
Old    alanp            07-12-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
i think i shouldve titled the thread "bother to switch 3's now" i do see the merit in learning them and will tackle them eventually.

the recognition issue seems to be an intersting topic. i particularly enjoy watching a rider that has a good mix of tricks. i think most riders want their efforts to be recognized. considering people on this board post pictures of their; boats, trucks, docks, boards, themselves doing tricks, dogs, etc etc... i think wakeboarding is an opluant sport. i consider myself intermediate rider with a limited bag of tricks 6 inverts plus the threes i mentioned earlier. i can start tackling some switch 3's or work on something else.
i get satisfaction when riding a number of ways a couple of those are sticking tricks and also having people in the boat enjoying my riding. ive ridden in boats and ridden behind boats where no one is really paying attention to the rider. mainly b/c the rider is behind the boat is boring. a rider that just throws a ton of 3s without alot of style(like i would if learned them switch) to me wouldnt be very intersting to watch. similarly when a pro does a demo. they throw a variety tricks because that is more interesting to watch than if they were to just go behind the boat and spin like a carousel. dunno im flaming out however i think youd be hard pressed to find people that say then didnt want recognition on their tricks and that strictly ride for themselves, at least in wakeboarding. late
Old    eastcoastjedi            07-13-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
I ride for myself.
For me wakeboarding is an expression of myself. I enjoy the fluidity that comes with being able to approach the wake either switch or regular, toe side or heel side. I like to link tricks without having to silde my board around or ollie it to get it the way I need it so I can spin regular.
I look for this fluidity in snowboarding, wakeboarding and surfing. I love double-ups but only when they are at the end of a run filled with flow, balance and fluidity. ind of the icing on the cake so to speak.
Collin Wright epitomizes the way I try to ride. Watch some of his older videos where he is so clearly in the moment he is oblivious to what is going on around him as he adds up such an impressive array of wake to wake swithc and regular spins it is tough to assertain exactly what he is throwing. It doesn't matter though becasue you get sucked into his flow and I for one want that flow in my riding.
He carries this same flow to all the other boardsports he kills it in.
If people in the boat are enjoying my run, great. However if someone missed the fact that my bs 3 was switch, it is not the end of the world for me. In fact I could care less.
The tricks I throw are not chosen because of how much enjoyment it will give the passengers of the boat, or how cool the people watching from the shore will think I am, it is because I like the way they feel. They are an expression of myself.
By learning a new approach to a trick (ie switch) you are able to put yourself in touch with element of balance, edging and body position that you may have forgotten with your regualr three's. By forcing yourself to conquer things that you are foreign to you allows every aspect of your riding to improve.
What grab is the best for me to straighten or cork myself out?
If I pass the handle below my knees what does that do to my spin?
wow I noticed that when I approach the wake switch for a spin I am leaning way to far forward, I wonder if the same thinng is happening to me when I hit a normal 3?

These are all rehtorical questions but I am sure you get the idea.
Maybe you are right, maybe I am in denial of where this sport is nowadays. Maybe it matters more what recogingiton you get for tricks rather than how they feel to you. How loud the clapping is instead of the warm fuzzy feeling inside you get when you try something and you know you got it right.
Is it going to be very exciting for the people pulling you to watch you learn a toeside or heelside switch three? Of couse not, it will be a pain in the ass because of howmuch you are falling.
Progression is what it is all about for me. But at my own pace with my own set of goals and criteria as to what constitiutes a solid three/invert etc...

I am fortunate enough to have experienced wakeboarding before all the current day "stock" tricks were invented. Goinng out in a boat with Igor,Josh, Collin and Nelson and just pushing the limits without worrying who was watching.
I guess it has changed. That is a sad thing for me. However I will continue to remain as pure in my riding style and attitude as I can be.
I ride to express myself, as a means of escape and my own personal feeling of accomplishment, you can have the applause.
Old    eastcoastjedi            07-15-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
EDIT the above....
I can't believe I forget to add riding with Corey Kraut to that list... RIP bro.

(Message edited by eastcoastjedi on July 15, 2005)