Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I just purchased an IS75 to use with my IPod instead of using the head phone to aux input on WS420. My plan was to use the RCA input on back of WS420 and switch them out with the head units RCA’s that are currently plugged in. Problem I get is when the RCA’s from the head unit are not plugged into WS420 and I flip the stereo toggle switch on the dash to turn the system on then there is no power to head unit, ws420 or amps. I guessing that the remote wire is not turning them on which I find strange because the only thing I disconnected was the RCA’s, all power wires are still connected. I would like to have the ability to switch out the RCA’s on WS420 so that I can play a cd with the head unit or use the RCA’s for a good connection to IPod. I know I can probably turn system on with head unit connected then after everything powers on switch out RCA’s but this would be a major pain because I use the IPod 90% of the time. Any suggestions other then rewiring power wires?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-15-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
sounsd like you head unit was grounding through the RCAs, need to check the ground on our head unit and make sure it is not cut and still connected to a good source
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-15-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
I think Ryan is exactly right on this one.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (cweed)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
So with the RCA's disconnected from the head-unit, not even the head-unit powers up when you turn the power on from the switch? That does seem very odd.

Have you tried just using the AUX input on the WS-420? I know with my IS75 the headphone jack ends up putting out the same signal as the RCA jacks even though it's labeled to be an input. Then you could keep both connected and just use the aux switch on the 420...
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Corey, yes the head unit will not poer on nor will the WS420 if the RCA's are unplugged when you flip the switch. The aux input works fine just figured the RCA's would sound cleaner.
Old     (cweed)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
As long as it's coming out of the IS75, it's the same signal and quality as the RCAs. It's only when you go to the headphone jack on the iPod that the signal suffers.
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-15-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info I'll go that route.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Idano about other people, but those ipod setups scare me. Its fairly unregulated power going into a sensitive electronic accessory. I don't like risking my ipod on chargers like that. Charge at home, use all day on battery. Get a good (Belkin, monster, etc.) charger for if it happens to be dead.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-15-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
but it is regulated. there's an external VR for it and it's fused. no worries here. using the IS75 with 4th gen nano and hopefully soon 3rd gen iphone.

the Peripheral iSimple IS75 and 76 are the only universal ipod connectors i know of that charge 4th gen nano and iphone 3G's.

(Message edited by brucemac on May 15, 2009)
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Can you still control the volume from the iPod when you use the IS75 or 76? And, how much better is the quality?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-19-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
no because it bypasses the DA converter and is a line level signal. the sound is much cleaner than using the headphone jack.