Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
what are the differences between the T4i and the 60D? How much better is the 7D over both of them?

Any help is appreciated for an amateur photog.

I am upgrading from Digital Rebel after years of abuse. I have a 75-300 EF IS and a 28-105 EF IS.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hate,
I just came off of a nikon D5100 (I'd say equal to the T3i) to the 7D. I'd take a close look at analyzing what you REALLY want to shoot with the camera. Action, stills, video? If you give us some info, I think it may help lead you to something you are ultimately happy with. All three are great camera's. I needed the speed of the 7D along with its crop sensor to help me cheat on range with lenses. It's working out awesome thus far.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
all three stills, action, and video. I dont necessarily need 8 fps though it would be nice.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-09-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat and watching this thread with interest. T4i has my attention for video.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
And the T4i is the lesser $$$$ is catching my eye, I think for what I need it to do, I should go for the T4i, best all around and not a complete full professional camera. Costco has some deals now, and agorama does, I need to check B & H too. Refurb could be the way to on a 60D or 7D as well.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Don't forget some of the benefits of the 7D...sealed body, metal construction etc... The T4i is the newest hottest thing at costco and bestbuy but the 7D is still upheld as a classic right now. To boot, you can find a used one for decent pricing. I got mine as a canon refurb, from their site with the 18-135 for about $1250. You just cant beat that for a solid camera, unless you need something full frame. Again as someone who just went through the upgrade process because I didnt get what I wanted out of my first camera, I'd say just like they do with boats....go touch and feel them. You'll know.
Old     (Live_In_405)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-18-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
all three stills, action, and video. I dont necessarily need 8 fps though it would be nice.
If you can, go for the fastest fps possible. You may say you don't need it now, but a fraction of a second can mean the difference between a great shot and a spectacular shot. It's good to have 10 or so images in a series to choose from especially if you're shooting inverts/grabs, you can choose the image that has the best quality (hand all the way grabbed, most tweaked, best extension, etc.)
It will EAT card space, though!
Also, if you're any good at PS, you can make some pretty sick sequence shots of a series all on the same photo
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-19-2013, 8:26 AM Reply   
I have a T2i now and have had access to the 7D as well. Im not sure if the T4i has the ports/plugin capability for flashes etc on the sides but my T2i does not and thats a bummer. I used the 7D in the studio and it was great for product photography being able to plug my stobes etc into.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
I'm looking at buying the T4i also. I see that it has a fancy new auto focus for video, but I need to confirm that you still have the manual focus control in video mode as well. Can anyone confirm?

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not AF in video mode is going to be worthless for wake video anyway? Don't you get the best quality out of manual focus when shooting action sports video?
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-21-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I'm looking at buying the T4i also. I see that it has a fancy new auto focus for video, but I need to confirm that you still have the manual focus control in video mode as well. Can anyone confirm?

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not AF in video mode is going to be worthless for wake video anyway? Don't you get the best quality out of manual focus when shooting action sports video?
Not sure you can still get ahold of the T4i. I know Best Buy and other camera major (B&H etc.) retailers pulled them for awhile (a Canon recall). May be back available now? You have manual focus available either way. Also, may wanna look at the T5i as it has an even better autofocus for video.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Just got a T4i yesterday... my first DSLR. For me it was between the T3i, T4i, and T5i.

It is still possible to use 100% manual controls as well as manual focus while you still get aperture priority, etc

As far as auto focus behind the boat, there are several different modes for if your subject will be still or moving. I have yet to actually test it but will sometime next week.

Overall I think its sweet. The touch screen articulating screen is phenomenal among many other things.

Last edited by homedawg678; 05-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-23-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
when I was looking I ended up NOT going with the t4i because of the video autofocus which was universally reviewed as being sucky. Now that said, for boat shooting the nice thing is that the rider is pretty much always the length of the rope away from the boat, so how much focusing should you need to do?