Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
My neighbor just sent me this picture from Shasta. All I know is that it happened over the weekend. Nice way to spoil a great trip.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-18-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Is that your neighbor's boat? That must have been fun ride....
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-18-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
If I was alone on that island and could only have one thing with me it would be a fiberglass making crane with a magic gasoline pump with a boat knowledgeable Megan Fox conducting it who happens to have unlimited supply of gear...all in one.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-18-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Heads up, there's a pile of rocks in your lake.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
No, not my neighbor. Hahaha
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
I'm assuming the water was few feet higher on the weekend, or that dude is an idiot!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-18-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Its hard to see at night with a 12 pack under your belt
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-18-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
Consequences of driving at night in Shasta.
That sucks
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-18-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Water was dropping a foot per night a couple weeks ago when we were there. That sucks!! We saw alot of new hazards each day the level dropped
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-18-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
woaaah... that sucks. Hopefully everyone was ok....
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
I feel like we have seen other boats on that same rock formation before. Wasn't there a Malibu on that last year?
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
I was just at Shasta as well, I could not believe all the hazards out there. I haven't seen that Lake that low ever.
In one of the coves i saw an old bridge that was exploded years ago that they just let sink in the lake. I bet they never thought it would rear its ugly head out of the water.

P.S. Depth Finders work really well.....
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-18-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Depth finders dont look ahead..... sucks to see that the hazards aren't marked out there.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-18-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
That sucks!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
I am guessing that the boat got stuck when there was still some water over the top of the rocks and they couldnt' get it off before the water level dropped. Now it looks like that. Definately crappy though. Nice looking boat. I like the light gray and light blue. Looks like a Supra 20ssv?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-18-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hopefully no one was injured. I feel sorry for the owner and its not to say accidents don't happen, but surely this could have been avoided with some common sense and research of the current lake conditions before this outing that ended in disaster. Before I go out on our local lakes I'll look at the previous 48 hours of lake levels and generation that is provided by our power district, TVA. They even have an iPhone app to pull up levels from 3 surrounding states. If water is dropping, I obviously know I need to exercise caution and possibly revert to a lake map to check for submerged rock piles, sand bars, etc.

When I was younger I didn't pay much attention to lake navigation, weather or lake information. If i was in an unknown area of a lake, I just relied on my depth finder. Luckily I never ended up like this guy. Now I keep a constant eye on weather and lake levels because I bass fish and need to know about river current and water level as it effects the spots where I'll fish. Fishing out of my friends' bass boat with top of the line electronics has helped me learn so much about the same waters I navigate my wake boat in. To me, these new boats with GPS speed control and full screens in the dash should have GPS chart plotting built in with SD card slots so you can update lake maps. I've even thought about putting a 5inch GPS device in my wake boat on a suction cup ram mount on the drivers side windshield. It may be a little overkill for some, but for around $400 you can get a pretty nice GPS unit that doesn't rely on cell phone service to pull up maps from all over the US.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-18-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
and this is why I have inavx on my iPhone with navionics hot maps. just like the above hummingbird device but so much cheaper and portable. It's a must for traveling to any new lake and better than insurance.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-18-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie_09 View Post
and this is why I have inavx on my iPhone with navionics hot maps. just like the above hummingbird device but so much cheaper and portable. It's a must for traveling to any new lake and better than insurance.
I have thought about Navionics for my iPhone. Does the app still work accurately without cell reception?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
I have thought about Navionics for my iPhone. Does the app still work accurately without cell reception?
I've got Navionics on the iPhone and it works great! Not sure how it works with no reception but I do know I can turn my phone to airplane mode and it still seems to work.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-19-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
It depends on your phone/ipad model I think. The 3g iPad will work because it has a gps receiver, the wifi version does not. I think the iPhones are the same way, but don't' quote me. I believe iPhone 3's and all later models all have full gps capabilities. The only performance issue you should see with no cell access at all would be the initial start up would take longer finding your initial position, as non assisted gps takes longer to get going. But once it finds your position, tracking your movement should be as fast with or without cell towers.
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
I need something that will measure depths and plot them on a chart for me.. any electronics that can do that? My stock depth finder is broke and my lake is shallow :/

Always a risky adventure trying to find flat water.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rx7 View Post
I need something that will measure depths and plot them on a chart for me.. any electronics that can do that? My stock depth finder is broke and my lake is shallow :/

Always a risky adventure trying to find flat water.

There are a ton of options that can do that. My suggestion would be to buy a cheaper hand held GPS and get an inland lakes chip or buy the navionics app for your phone(assuming it has GPS). Also, fix your depth finder. The other option is to find a combo fishfinder/GPS. Lowrance makes some smaller inexpensive one's like this.

http://www.boemarine.com/000-10483-0...nt_Transducer/

Last edited by polarbill; 09-20-2012 at 9:06 AM.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
^^^ My dad's GPS plotter will do that on his 36' cabin crusier will do that.

I bought a handheld GPS ( lowrance ifish h20?)and used a RAm suction cup mount...I used to plot my path to the local river thru the lake all the time....the depth is irrelevant after the first run.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
And thats a bad day...