Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-30-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
Any one seen these? I saw them in a older Waterski mag. Just wonderd if any one had a chance to try them out? www.wake-audio.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-30-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
sounds like a similar setup to the EVID's...minus a couple of 6.5's. I'm sure they sound good...but probably way over priced.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-30-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
I call hype... a 6.5" driver just doesn't have enough effective cone area to produce adequate air compression to be heard at 80' out. I would doubt that they would even produce as much sound as a single pair of your favorite Pioneer 6x9s, much less a strong 4 or 6 speaker system, and nothing close to NVS...

The funny thing with tower speakers for the riders. You have to overcome 350 cubic inches of sound compressing equipment, luckily most boats have an attenuator on that equipment.
Old     (masterxstar)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2005, 2:02 AM Reply   
mikeski your a fool you know nothing keep your mouth shut
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       09-02-2005, 4:31 AM Reply   
Tom, Your comments offend me, why be so rude to someone giving an opinion. if you know better i'd love to hear it... we are all here to learn after all.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2005, 5:08 AM Reply   
Tom: postng on W/W at 2 in the morning mabey he was drunk. LOL
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-02-2005, 6:44 AM Reply   
There is a local Supra here that has one (?) of these speakers mounted to the tower. I have not heard it up close, but it's loud from a couple hundred yards away and the clarity sounded pretty good... no distortion. I don't know why they would only have one speaker ...unless maybe the other one was ripped off
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-02-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
tom is the same donkey that brought us the incredible SeaSick audio equipment. i think its pretty funny, taking the same approach with another name. and then bashing the ppl that raise the obvious issues with his BS gear
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
Why is it BS? Have you heard them?

They are using a HLCD just like the NVS'...just a smaller mid-bass driver. It would all depend on the drivers, the enclosure designs and the wattage provided. Each size mid-bass driver has its pros and cons and both can reproduce the desired frequency range at an adequate SPL if designed properly.

(Message edited by bremsen on September 02, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-02-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
mikeski is pretty up on the audio stuff also. I wouldn't bash him or disregard his opinion.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-02-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
No i haven't. I just remember some of tom's comments from before when he was on seasick's but, I see you post here quite a bit.. have you heard them?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
I haven't heard either the NVS speakers or the wake-audios. I just posted to point out that they are using similar technology....something I think mikeski overlooked (I think he thought they were just a 6.5 and regular tweeter). The core component is the HLCD, not the woofer. I don't think the WA's will produce as much bass as the NVS', but they should still be very loud at rider length. Again, I've never heard either though.

Oh and I don't know Tom either....but his post makes him sound like a complete a$$. I try to ignore posts like that.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-02-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
Hadn't check back on this for a few days, seems like there was some interesting discussion. Thanks for defending me guys.

Tom, was school a challenge for you? It's spelled ObriEn, look at your wakeboard and update your profile... You might have a better audience over on wakeboarder.com

I understand that the tweeter's are compression drivers and I have a decent understanding of them. Sound amplitude is directly proportional to cone area. Don't you think the guys building concert stacks would use smaller speaker drivers if there was a shortcut?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'll throw in my 2 cents, I have tower spekaers with eminence 6.5 inch mid bass drivers and HLCD's. I had two boston acoustics pro 6.5 components on the tower before and there is no comparison.

The new setup is so much clearer and louder it is amazing. I have never heard the NVS in person, but it is obvious a 6.5" driver will not produce the same low frequency as a 10" driver. I will say that if I also had a pair of 10" drivers the speaker setup would be really good.

So in my opinion something with a 6.5" pro audio driver coupled with HLCD's will blow any car audio away.