Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
I would like to rewire my trailer lights with all new wiring and put in LED taillights...has anyone done this?If so, Can you recommend a complete plug and play system?
They are the standard 6 1/2 by 2 1/4 taillights.

Thanks!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Check a trucking supply/repair place. They will have hunderds of different options. As far as plug and play I've never heard of anything like that. Fairly simple to do though.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-01-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Newty -that's a good call, but I don't have any close to me.

As far as plug and play, I was just referring to a complete package where I can buy all of the pieces together.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I know plug and play kits can be had, but they are the cheesy kits for fishing boat trailers or utility trailers. I don't think there are such kits for a nice LED upgrade mostly because there are so many variations on trailer lighting.

I've purchsed a few things from these guys. They have been very helpful and seem to have good quality products.

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...ring_c_38.html
Old    Haugy            08-01-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
I get all my stuff from E-trailer. I've been real pleased with them, and they have good fast shipping.

I went with clear lights with red LED's. This made them really pop when they came on. By being white, when they go red, there is no mistaking you're hitting the brakes. They are bright as heck too.

And they are plug-ins if you have the standard three prong light.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh.../STL82RCB.html

This is my old boat's trailer.

Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-01-2011, 8:45 PM Reply   
I put these in my previous boats trailer, at $34 a pair they're a pretty good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Red-L...ltDomainQ5f100
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       08-02-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Perfect -thanks for the help guys...I think I'm going to pick up a pair off eTrailer.
Appreciate the help .
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-02-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I too am considering re-wiring my trailer with LEDs. Has anyone done the "runway LEDs" in the bunks? Pics? I think that would be a huge help loading at night.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
I got 6" oval LEDs from Wal-Mart for like $9 each. They've been working fine for a year now which is more than I can say for a few lights I've had int he past. Crazy bright and they're red which I prefer vs. the clear. The clear ones make it look like your trailer has cataracts IMHO.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I looked all over online and ended up finding LED tail lights for half the price at the local truck stop.
Old    Haugy            08-02-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
Make sure your grommets are still solid if you have the rubber grommet style. There is also a light like I posted that has a mounting plate. So make sure you get the right light mounting style.

Jeff DeVeer, the reason I promote the clear lens for red tail lights is that they stand out more when they come on. The white lenses to bright red pop out more than a red lens with red light. Even though the LED's are bright as heck, I prefer the kind that say "Hey dumbass, get off the phone, I'm stopping".

Plus with my old trailer being red, they would have really blended in. This was a way to make the trailer stand out, and enhance visibility. Even looking like cataracts.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       08-04-2011, 9:34 PM Reply   
check with Boat Mate - i bet they can hook you up.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
I just got a pair at O'Reilly Auto Parts that are plug and play. Came with the 3 plug standard connector that my trailer already had. I honestly can't believe how they "up dated" my trailer. It's funny that a simple change like that really made it look better. I went with the white/clear lights.
Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-05-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
Same here. O'reilly or any online store has them with the 3prong plug. they are plug and play and work great. they will never go out (in your lifetime).