Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
m gunna get the hs backroll down this season
im just wondering if i should try a tantrum instead
which ones easier/less likely to get hurt?
and my board is huge will that matter?
i weigh 140 and i have a 144 i know thats humoungus but will it really matter ive been riding it for like a year
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-25-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Backroll I think IS easier, and yes that board is way to big! You need to be riding about a 134, it is alot easier to control when flipping and or spinning. I would chunk the 144 and get atleast a 134 or 136 if you are planning to nail alot of tricks
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
alright thanks
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
i also have a cwb paradise 129 which is probably too small. im saving up fr a new board ill probably have it in about 3 weeks but till then which board am i better off using? the 129 or the 144?
Old     (aldrichiii)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
My guess would be the 129. I weigh 185lbs and ride a 141 which works for me. You'll be more likely to complete the rotation with a shorter board, as long as its long enough to keep you afloat and absorb some of the impact.
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
hey thanks guys but my dad let me get a board and im gunna pay him back
i got an 06 134 LF team so i think i should do fine o it i got it off ebay should be here by this weekend
Old     (chefwong)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-30-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
In my experience learning a backroll was much easier than a tantrum, but everyone is differnt. You gotta ask yourself, do you feel more comfertable backflipping or side flipping, mexicaning it. It was much easier for me to pull off a side
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-31-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
i think a side flip with alittle bit of an angle would be the easiest for me(like a diagonal flip if you get what im saying)
anything i should learn before the flip that will help me?
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-31-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Some people do backrolls easier and others do tantrums easier. Try both and watever one you get closer on work on that.
Old     (jakesnyder)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-31-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Take a lesson! It is the fastest way to improve.
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       05-31-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
idono about a lesson
how much are they? i thought lessons were only for begginers to learn how to like get up and the basics
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-01-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
No way. a lot of the pros have coaches. Everytime I've taken a lesson I've felt that it really helped me.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-01-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
I weigh 140 and ride the shane 140..i love it..the bigger the board the more surface area there is to land on..

anyways, i would say the tantrum is so much easier than the backroll..i landed my first tantrum after 5 tries.
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       06-03-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
really the backroll seems easier/simpler. which one hurts more when you fall. im gunna try one of the two next weekend.
is a 10ft diameter trampoline big enough to try backrolls and tantrums with a rope
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-04-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
try to find someone who you can ride with that can do the trick you want to learn and have them watch and give you advice, or you can take a lesson, and pay $$ but it will help you learn the trick much faster, and save you from a lot of bad falls!!! psych yourself up before you cut in for the trick, you have to think you can land it before you will be able to land it!!! GO for it!! you are only landing on water right!!! it took me a lot of tries before i landed the backroll, but it was f-ing sweet the first time i did!!!! DONT LET GO OF THE ROPE!!!!!!!

kal
Old     (jakesnyder)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-04-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
It took me a lot of trys to land a back roll also. I had to remember two things. Throw the rotation AFTER I popped off the wake and keep the rope low, at my waist. Good luck to yea. Its a great feeling landing your first invert!
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
thanks guys. alright then hs backroll it is. so keep the handle in, progressive edge, and throw the rotation after hitting the wake. anything else.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
make sure theres chicks in the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakedirtsnow)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
lol
im going monday ill try it and let u guys know what happens ill get videos too
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Backroll is cake if you dont think about it too much. The first time I landed it I took a way too short approach. What i gave up in distance from the wake is the quality of the cut. When i take a shorter cut i focused on a progressive edge into the wake. I found when i took a wide approach into the wake I flattened off becuase I got scared. Once you hit the wake just turn your head and throw your hips in the direction you are going.
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-11-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
biggest key to this trick for me is keep the handle at your hips, straight legs when you hit the wake ie. stand tall with hips up forward,

shorter cut and progressive, if you have a lot of speed and huck you wont get air, theres a reason why you can do this trick from 3 feet out, dig in and hold the edge.

bs roll was my first invert.. tantrum second.. took me forever to learn the roll, tantrum not too far off, once you've become comfortable flipping, trying inverts isn't so bad, you lose the fear of eating down.