Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-20-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
in a 2002 Supra (320hp indamar motor) what "Type" of engine would this be? (chev, ford, etc...) and what are the avalibility of parts for these motors?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-20-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Indmar uses GM blocks, and parts are very easy to find. See your local marina for conversion part numbers.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
make sure they are marine parts and not car parts...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2005, 11:39 PM Reply   
5.7L / 350 cu.in. Chevy longblock marinized by Indmar. Very solid, similar to what is used in Malibu, Mastercraft, and many others. Parts are very common some need to be marine specific others don't.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-21-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
What about a starter? Why would it need to be marine?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
because starters and mounted on the bottom of the engine, and if there is water in the bilge it can splash up on to them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-21-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
Starter, alternator, ignition, are all marine specific because they need to be spark free so things don't go boom if gas vapors get trapped under the motorbox.

Of course the raw water pump, exhaust manifolds, transmission, and a few other systems are marine specific as well.

I have been involved with the marinizing of a few automotive motors, send me a message if you have a specific question, I will do my best to answer it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
Include cam, valve springs, and cam followers (usually roller type) are different/stouter than most automotive applications.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-21-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Mikeski,

So is using the blower before starting the boat just a precaution if they are not marine parts?

I recently installed a new starter from NAPA and I'm not sure if it's marine.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
No, the blower is essential. Marine parts simply limit the speed and probability of the explosion. It does not elimnate it. If you have a NAPA non-marine starter, chance are you are running dangerous and your insurance policy may not cover the incident. Check your policy. Most require the boat to be maintained in NMMA or USCG approved condition. Using a non-USCG starter would void the policy.

The difference is screens and plates that reduce the amount of air that can escape quickly from the casing. NAPA does carry Marine starters, so check out the numbers.

Good Luck.
Old    cjcrider            09-21-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever seen an engine compartment ignite? Just wondering....I haven't ever heard of any stories related to this....
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Yep...seen a boat burn to the waterline too.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-21-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
We just had one on our waters burn to the waterline. here's a pic before she sank.

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-21-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   

Old    barryb            09-22-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Entire families have been blown up on inboard ski or wakeboarding boats. The danger is not imaginary.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-22-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
These things happen but keep in mind that we are all probably taking a much greater risk just driving down the highway getting to the water...

I like to use my nose to give a sniff under the motor cover at the beginning of each outing. If I smell fuel vapors I don't turn anything on until every hatch gets opened and aired out. It's the cheapest insurance.