Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-24-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Questions on Havasu -- how is it for wakeboarding? can you find good water? any particular spots? anyone know what the water temps are like in April / early May? Thx!
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-24-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
you dont go to havasu to ride, I was there for spring break and Im going back for memorial day, I bet you could probably get some good water south of the city down by the dam but its mainly a party scene and gets blown out easy. Water was mid 50s last week when I was there
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       03-24-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Water temp at that time is probably mid to upper 60's at the most. On weekends, mornings are your best bet. If you are lucky enough to be there on a weekday conditions can be great.

Like Mike said, head south toward Parker dam. There are some more narrow parts of the lake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
You can find good water, in the summer on weekends we are in the water riding at 5am. At 95 degrees air and 82 degree water whats a little dawn patrol? Also in the middle of the week the lake is a reflection pond all day long. We ride the buoy line at the very South end of the lake. Bueno!!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Stephan,

Do you use the ramp that is about 10 miles south of the city or do you launch in the city and go by boat?
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-25-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Stephan - I see you ride at Naci and SA--those are my favorite lakes-how would you compare Havasu? Both are about a 5hr drive for me...is Havasu worth the trip?
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-25-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
We go every year, first week of summer. You got to get up early and ride before the performance boats get out. Fun place to go. Down near the dam is a great place, there is also a fuel dock with resturant and bar. Lot of coves to ride in and up river. Afternoon riding is a give and take. Temps do get high..last year in June had a heat wave of 117*. Kick back and relax in the afternoons in channel or find a cove. A real party atmosphere on weekends in the channel. Experence Havasu once though it is worth the trip. Boat ramp north end of town. You can even trail your boat down to Parker for the day. Really lots of places to see and do.
Old    the_skeptic            03-25-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Havasu is the only place I ride.. everyone is right .. down by the dam is the spot to ride .. but your limited on the weekends to a few hours in the morning and a few before the sun goes down ... around noon everyone from the city it trying to see who can race down to the dam and back, thus ruff waters.... I make the trip 2 weekends a month (4 hour drive) and love it ....
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-27-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
so, is Havasu more of:

a) a great place to ride
b) a great place to party

which end is the dam, north end or south end of town? thanks!!
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-27-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
south end of the lake, about 15 miles from town and in my opinion a beter place to party
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-27-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
The dam is at the south end of the lake, we alunch at a place in Arizona called Take Off Point, it is right next to the dam. Its clearly a better party place but if you are a bad ass you can get some great riding. Naci & San Antonio are better for riding but can get crazy as well. The last picture above is on a Wednesday in August, no one on the lake and epic. In my years going there (almost all of my 24) the hottest I ever saw was 126F, and yes it was friggen hot!!! Grab a Coors Light (the official beer of the river) and go to river just below the dam, its about 5 degrees cooler than the lake.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
been to havasu many times... never had an experience that was better than my worst days at Nacci or SA.. great place for people watching, partying, hangin out, checkin out bad ass boats.. but i would not reccomend it for a wakeboard trip.. its a boating trip.. yes, if u get lucky and u wanna venture all the way to the dam.. sometimes.. u can catch a good run.. but sometimes.. go, have fun, bring a board,, just in case... usually by the time u fill up the sacs.. ur chance is over..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-27-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thats why you gotta fill ups the sacs before the sun comes up and as soon as its light enough to see a tiny bit you are riding. I'm serious, waiting in the water at 4:50am waiting for it to get light enough. Then you have until 7:29 of decent water. Then its beer thirty.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-28-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
Beer thirty, LOL!!! We can't dawn patrol but still end up getting DECENT water on the backside of the island in the AM and on the south half of the lake during the afternoon.

Skylar's got it nailed. Boating trip first, riding second. One really nice river day is to head twenty-ish miles north to Needles and back. There's water up there usually, it's much cooler, and the scenery through the gorge is incredible.

Stephan's right about the south end for partying, especially if you bring your own party. Couple boats, warm water, hot sun, silver bullet perhaps, asses (donkeys) walking by...
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-28-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info--sounds like it's a great place for a boating trip but not necessarily the best place to ride. Any other ideas on GREAT places to ride within about 5hrs of the LA/OC area?
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-28-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden any of the nice lakes up north, but have been to Buena Vista a few times. It's a great place to camp (each site's grass with shade, some are waterfront, leave your ride in the water, you can get electricity and water at the sites, so bring your flourescents and blenders and TVs or whatever you're into instead of lanterns, etc.)

Water's good too pretty late and early in the season - they limit the number of boats and keep PWCs in their own area. October's just awesome.
Old    the_skeptic            03-28-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
What lake in so cal. isn't choppy by 7:29am (on the weekend)... thats why I make the four hour drive to havasu.... atleast there I can drink!! (calm down, I'm not driving the boat)....
Old    the_skeptic            03-28-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Oh yea, heres a pic of our spot.....

Upload
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-28-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
ummm...lake mead is alright
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-29-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
which parts of Lead Mead have the best water generally? I have been to Katherine's landing and a couple of the marina's by Vegas and haven't been all that impressed--lots of wind and chop. I have thought of going North to Callville or Overton or going out to Temple Bar...any idea where the best spots are there?

Also, how is the water at Buena Vista, Elsinore, or Perris early in the season? Thanks