Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    cmagro            03-29-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
does everyone use fiberglass when making sub box?
Old    tclagggym            03-29-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
No, I didn't. just wood and carpet.
Old    hyperryd            03-29-2004, 11:07 PM Reply   
I usually use MDF and then resin coat it before carpet.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 11:47 PM Reply   
hey john what kind of resin coat and could you go into some details about that. maybe even the process and some hints on what not to do. thanks a lot.
Old    whitevlx            03-30-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Resin coating is simply taking some fiberglass resin, and brushing it on to the surface of the wood. It gives the wood a water proof barrier. There are several types of resin and all work well for this application so don't worry about buying the right or wrong thing.

If you do decide to do fiberglass layup:

Do remember that epoxy resin will not melt the binding glue used in chopped fiberglass mat, so it is very hard to wet out.

Isothalic resin is stronger and more resistant to chemicals and water.

Orthothalic resin is a great multipurpose resin.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
also, keep in mind it does not have very high stiffness if you are trying to make flat panels. therefore consider making any flat sides of your box out of wood.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
i just made mine out of plywood since youll almost definitely not hear the difference due to the ambient noise , you can however make them out of glass, do a search on here for them and youll find some info. I was thinking about a wood/glass box for a 12, use 1/4" plywood or so and coat the inside and outside with glass, would make a pretty light box.