Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
My dream has finally come true! I’ve been talking about opening my own shop for the past 4 or so years and now it’s a reality! I received the keys exactly a month ago and have been at the shop every night till 12-1am, and yes even spent a few nights there as well. I’ve put my heart and soul into it and can’t wait for the product to keep rolling in over the next 2 weeks. I was tired of pro shops getting the back seat to the boat dealerships as far as design, layout and displays so I set out to create a space that was unique. The Liquid Playground was created not only to offer the industries best product at a great value, but also push the limits of what a typical shop is. It is going to be a shop that showcases art and photography with monthly shows and exhibits. Not just demo days at the lake, but also community lake clean-ups and outreach. I’m so pumped for this to come together and can’t wait to meet new customers and build fresh relationships. I’ve attached a few pics to show the progress and will update them as more displays are formed and more product arrives. So far I’ve received my Hyperlite, Accurate, and Byerly shipment with Oneill and LF to follow soon. The Liquid Playground is located on 2144 Otoole Ave in San Jose. Previosly the Ultimate Watersports dealership and now San Jose Boat Center. I can be reached at (408) 435-8088 or email me at austin@theliquidplayground.com. My website is in the works (theliquidplayground.com) and should be up in a week or so highlighting upcoming events and the grand opening/art show/party in mid May. Big thanks to all my close friends and family for support during the past month and helping me get my dream started. Love Life!

Upload2nd day-blank canvas
Uploaddrywall, texture, ceiling panels...learn quick
Upload
UploadFun with Diamondplate
UploadCustom Welded Mohn racks
UploadCubby/Grid fabrication
UploadHigh end feel to grid? B@W prints are ready to hang
UploadCan't wait for the Oneill Order
UploadByerly and HL are here!
UploadBoot area so far
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
It looks amazing austin. I will come down wednesday morning to check it all out. Im so stoked you finally made your dream come true. Ive still got my Liquid Playground stickers you gave me back in 2006.
You are an inspiration.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Looks really good. Now you need to do a little product research/testing buy taking out every board in your shop and riding the hell out of it so you can "get to know your products"
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Mitch-Can't wait to see you.

Nick-For Sure, Rode most of the HL and LF line last year, looking forward to some time on the new Assault and S4.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2009, 11:41 PM Reply   
Congrats. Cool shop. I will try to support your shop but you will have to compete in price/service.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-30-2009, 11:49 PM Reply   
looks sweet bro, congrats on fullfilling your dream! best of luck to you!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-31-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
AAAuuuuussss - - looking good bro. See you there thurs or friday - gotta pick up some new goodies for 09.
Ill hit you up before I come through.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Great New's
Austin is your dad's name George? My dad is going to lunch with George and he said his son is opening a board shop in San Jose. Im guessing this is your shop.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH Austin! Rock on man! I am working like a slave right now through tax season but I will be by right after april 15th!

BTW: to those who have not met (know) Austin...he is BY FAR one of the best pro-shop guys you will ever deal with...and he's right here in our backyard!

(Message edited by liquidmx on March 31, 2009)
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Austin... Thats awesome!!!
Keep us posted on the progress and the grand opening. I may fly down from Portland for the grand opening if it works out with my work schedule. Its great to see people pursuing there dreams in times like this!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-31-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
Shop is looking sick. Good to see the fruits of your labor starting to surface.
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-31-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Dude congrats on the shop. Looks sick and I definitely will be checkin it out when searching for my new setup.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
congrats on the shop... just outta curiosity, whats the plan in the winter?
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Austin - Congrats. I drive by the new shop often on my way to the office, I will stop in.

Austin is a stand up guy. He was great in dealing with customers during the closer of Cope in December and was extremely helpful with me 'playing santa' for my kids; Allowing me to take product for sizing and bring it back.

See you at the shop soon.

T
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Nice shop! It's nice for a change to see the opposite of shops closing down in this economy. Way to go on opening you dream, best of luck!
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-31-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
the pictures dont do justice. you guys need to go down there and check it out. way cooler in person
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
it looks dope! I hope your able to stay afloat through this Economic crisis man, it seems like you got enough intelligence and will to wait out some possible tough times until people start spending once again! Good luck! I'll have to stop by next time I hit the south bay...
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-31-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Shops looks good dude!!! We are expanding soon and carrying Wakeboards here at Ramp Rats skatepark in Petaluma, North Bay. Good Luck dude!!!!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-31-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Nice work Austin!!! I'll try and make it out there soon and check it out!!

Congrats!!!
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
yes austin! so stoked for ya man
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-31-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hell yeah bro! The shop looks great. Keep the pics coming.

Once again all,Austin was born to share stoke and love to all.

Congrats!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
Austin is stoke
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Austin, wow! Shop looks great, even better than you described. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon. I will be down there for a week in May, gonna have to make a trip over to come see it. Your gonna kill it, let me know how I can help.

(Message edited by coreym on March 31, 2009)
Old     (swellbow)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-31-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
Nice work. The shop looks really nice... Good luck and have fun with it man... Good for you
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-31-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
Thanks again everyone!!!

Grant-Funny, my dads name was George but he passed away 13 years ago so I guess there must be another shop opening up...or my dad came back down to see my work...that would really be a dream.

Isaac-Winter will be scary, but I'll do whatever it takes. Top Ramen was on sale the other day so I loaded up. I'll probably go to 4/5 days a week with reduced hours and find a second job if it comes to it but lets not get down yet...this summer is going to ROCK!!!

Here are a few pics of today's work. Added a small(cheap) lcd and threw a pair of Liquid Trends(thanks Danny and Johnny) pods on my ceiling for some tunes. Also finished the Byerly Monarch display. Thanks again to the entire HL(Everyone and I mean the entire team up in Redmond for your support and help) crew for an amazing factory tour and letting me get to borrow a few graphic sheets and pieces of decks that will get fliped over the next week or so.

UploadUpload

(Message edited by liquidplayground on March 31, 2009)
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
wow austin im really stoked for you to be able to have your dream come to life. the shop looks soo sick!
Old    chriscut            03-31-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
Austin, I know I told you before but I am so stoked to see the shop coming together!!

I'll come by and check the shop out soon for sure.

I can say without a doubt that Austin is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
Good stuff man! I really dig the way it looks.. nice to see another local shop pop up here in N Cali.. Will deffinatly come by to support
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-01-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Nice! You should load up on some local namers (d.cook) to start stickering up their boards, boats, cars, etc... there are only a couple people in san jose doing wake and the biggest hitter is no longer around obviously.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-01-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
congrats and good luck with everything, it'll be just fine!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-01-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Congrats Austin. I'm going to try to stop by on Friday. What time are you open?
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-01-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
Looks awesome man, good luck. Wish we had a place with the personal service I bet you will provide.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-01-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
heres an idea for u for the winter??? just an idea i know it might be hard but u could work with some snowboard companies ad maybe switch out the product during the off season to a certain extent, i know its called the liquid playground but maybe this will help bring in some revenue over the winter ya know... just an idea tho.
Shop looks amazing one day i hope to share this reality after i have gotten into my career in the fire service i think a nice wakeboard shop would be great fun eccspecially when i got a bunch of days off, but for now its just a dream.
Once again congrats man its good to see the fruits of your labor work off on an amazingly sick shop!!!!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-01-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
It's sunny and 70 degrees at Liquid Playground. I highly doubt Austin is thinking about snow stuff right about now.
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-01-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Thanks again you guys. Met a few really cool and down to earth, supportive wakeworld readers today. Thanks for coming in and checking out the shop. Had a solid day selling softgoods which was a surprise.
Peter-Look forward to seeing you! I've been working 9-9s getting things dialed this week. Probably start doing 10-7's next week.

(Message edited by liquidplayground on April 01, 2009)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-03-2009, 1:56 AM Reply   
Austin...so happy for you man. Wish I could pop in for at least a look see. Best of luck.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-03-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
I love the smell of wakeboard shops. To me, they all smell the same. I don't know what it is, but when I walk into one, i just get this distinct smell that I really can't describe. Maybe it is the vests, and all of the foam, but ITS AWESOME. Good luck man!!
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       04-03-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Your shop is looking great man.... Everyone needs to support their local shops!! I know it's a great convenience but maybe not buy everything online folks?!?!
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-03-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
i'll be back in the bay area next weekend. Austin is the shop open yet?
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-03-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
M-Sat buddy, 10-6. Thursday's 10-7. Look forward to seeing you!
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Wow congrats and good for you. Just think you are living the American Dream while creating jobs and the government had nothing to do with it. Tip of the hat to you bro!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-04-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yup... Looking great. It's got a really high end look to it. Next time I'm in the area I'd like to stop by for a look.

Kyle, that's funny. I had my new board in my truck one day last week. I got in at the end of the day and the whole truck had that "new wakeboard" smell. It was great. I think that's how you truly know you're an addict.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Agreed about the smell. I also like to mix a little 2 stroke premix in my lawnmower...adds a nice touch to the senses when I am mowing...haha
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-04-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
"I love the smell of wakeboard shops. To me, they all smell the same. I don't know what it is, but when I walk into one, i just get this distinct smell that I really can't describe."

I say the same thing about females haha
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-04-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
hey austin, congratulations on your success!!! Do u by chance have any positions available @ your shop. I am a wakeboard enthusiast, I worked @ TSR last summer and I am working on pushing the wakeboard industry}
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-04-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
I stopped in on Friday. Austin has done a great job. I hope everyone who is anywhere near the south bay will support this shop. Nice work Austin!
Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Dropped by monday the shop looks awsome. there is some mad thought put into this shop. I encourage everybody to stop by and check it out. Cruise on by the shop its got a crazy cool style to it its like no other shop ive seen. hope you do well Austin
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
Thanks sooooo much for the compliments, stoke and vibe everyone! You guys are getting me more and more pumped even with this rainy weather in CA. Made progress on the Letchworth/Cassette Tribute area today and threw together a little Easter window display. EnjoyUploadUploadUploadLittle Easter Decor and Sale
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
The shop looks awesome. You are showing some great creativity and attention to detail with the displays.
Old     (jeffmx)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
Austin,
Thanks again for the hookup today!It was great to see you again,and your shop is looking awesome!!!
If you ever need a pull in my neck of the woods give me a shout!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-09-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Congrats Austin! I'll have to come hit you up soon and check it out. You told my gf that you were gonna open up a shop once Copes closed and I've been waiting to hear about it! Good luck!
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-09-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
That's awesome!

Goodluck
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
Went by yesterday and the shop looks great. Austin is doing a great job. Even bought something...support the local shops!

T
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-09-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
I went to the shop today and spent many hours in there. Amazing shop. It has such a unique feel to it. Very classy and clean. The cassette display and mutiny protos are so sick.

Oh, and Fun Boots! is awesome
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
Very nice. Is this the place off the 880 close to brokaw exit that says "Bank Repo's" on the sign? Are you going to be doing any parts I always need stuff for my fourwinns and always need new gear. So i'll deffinately be supporting ya!!!
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2009, 11:24 PM Reply   
cassette stuff for sale?=). kidding. love the displays man. stoked for ya!
Old     (conar)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
nice shop if i lived where u were id def buy stuff from you.

nice setup, way better than my local shop :-O i can actualy see the board designs in ur set up :P
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-12-2009, 1:23 AM Reply   
That is such a sick store... I will be in the area next week... Can't wait... Congrats!

Kevin
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-12-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
hey austin, my dad uncle and i came down last week while mitch was there. do you guys have stickers for the store? my winch is almost done and i want to throw some on it! loved the shop man
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
I'm starting up a new program called "T.N.L.-Thursday Night Live" which will kick off this coming April 23rd at 7:00pm. T.N.L. will be an opportunity for you to cruise down to the shop and check out the newest wake release on our small(very small for now) lcd screen, enjoy a few slices of free pizza, and catch up with your bro's. I will also discount the featured movie on that night as an added bonus.

The Movie Feature on April 23rd will be Fun Boots from David Hanson and Keith Lant over at Scene One productions.

Hopefully we can do these atleast once a month.

Hope you can make it!
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Stickers and T's are on the way!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
It's old Skool now, but if you want to do a Delta Sessions or DS2 viewing, hit me up and we'll work you a great deal for your customers.

jb@buffac.com
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
This place seems way cool. I'm coming by for sure. Any chance of ordering filters and oil for my Vp 3.o l fourwinns?
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Jason-I actually want to do some old skool nights as well(ds aren't that old..but we'll figure something out) with maybe a vintage deck show/swap tied together to really capture the time period of the videos.
Rick-I might start doing a little bit of accessories for boats so I think I can get you hooked up with Quicksliver products.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
I really wish i didnt5 have a thursday night class. i will definitely be making it to your TNLs when the semester finishes in a couple weeks.

(Message edited by wakemitch on April 13, 2009)
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-13-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
We stopped by on saturday and the shop is awesome. the setup looks sick and im looking forward to seeing how you layout the other companies. Thanks Austin for helping me out. Now im just waiting for the Ronix gear to come in.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
yea me too i wish i didnt have class tonight I might swing by thursday to say whats up and a little meet and greet
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-17-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I hear fourwinns needs a dealer and is trying to pick someone up.
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-17-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
Austin.....thanks for hooking me up. Shop looks great, nice set up.
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-18-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
Thank you! Awesome to see you guys, you are a total rock star!!! Sorry it got a little crazy in there and I couldn't chat as much as I wanted. Hope you get to ride soon and enjoy the cute vest.

Taylor-Let me know how that stick performs, I think that it is rad that you are being diverse!

Rick-I'm meeting my rep Monday so I'll see what I can do if you still need those filters and oil.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2009, 1:07 AM Reply   
I always use VP but let me know what brand of stuff your carrying so I can put you to use :-)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2009, 1:25 AM Reply   
I always use VP but let me know what brand of stuff your carrying I may just have to stray :-)
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-18-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
We went by last week and the shop is awesome. Austin is very helpful with product information. I am going g back there this morning and picking up more stuff.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-04-2009, 2:32 PM Reply   
I just went to Austin's shop and I must say he did a great job with it. The thing that really got me is how passionate he is and just stoked to be doing what he is doing. If you live in the area definitely stop by there and make it the place to get your wakeboard product. You will get great personable customer service which is something that does not happen online. Support your local wake shop!
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Thanks again everyone and Arun you are a rock star for the racks!!!

For those of you that don't read the Events section I'm having one of my Thursday Night Live events this Thursday 5/7 at 7opm.

We will be showing "Canvas", enjoying some free pizza, catching up with old and new friends, and fighting over a few free give-aways.

Check out my website for more details theliquidplayground.com

Love Life, Hope to see you all!!!
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
thursday night classes suck, but hopefully i can make it after the semester is over.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-06-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
ollieshuvitz, thursdays we need to start riding and then go to austins shop once school is over
Old     (ollieshuvitz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-08-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
you know im down
Old     (liquidplayground)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-08-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Thanks to all who rolled out last night. It was awesome seeing a few new faces. Your support is what it is all about!
Thanks to Ricky for a dope projector and 8ft screen as well as the Christman family for the soda's and brownies.
Box of Fun is next on the list. Dates to come soon.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-08-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the movie. We had a great time, meeting new people with the same interests. Can't wait till the next one., The Christmans. We will bring cookies next time.