Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with this board? The reviews I have read sound amazing, and I feel like it is time for me to move on from premiers. I've been through 3 this year so far, and it has been the only shape I have ridden since double up went out. I think I am ready to get a board with a new feel, a little different style, to change up my trick bag a little. The riding style I like to do is a lot of big glides, grabbed inverts, a couple mobes, and no spins over 5. Basically I want a board that is real poppy that can help accentuate style over amplitude. I am open to opinions on any board that fits into that realm of riding style so lets hear them!! I don't have the chance to demo a board so these opinions are very important!! I hit a lot of rails so no CWB's will be purchased. The Witness looks awesome too, so any review on that would be nice.
Thanks Guys!! (and girls),
Kyle
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
The axis looks awesome too btw
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
I rode the axis and didn't like it. Im used to 3 stage boards and the board had a lot of speed and not enough pop to make up for it. But thats me, i like a big rocker board
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Andy, thanks!! That is exactly the kind of review I am looking for. Not enough pop=not good. I like a big rocker as well
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-12-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Another requirement is molded in fins. Ride too much cable to deal with breaking fins off all of the time
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       08-12-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
My husband just had a monarch given to him. The only thing I can say is that I have never seen him ride so well or go as high. Sorry I can't give you any other info. If you do a search, there was a thread that had a lot of good things to say about it. Good luck.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-12-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Best board ive ever rode.
Old     (907division)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-12-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
I have a Monarch 56 and I love it! I came off a RONIX One. The Monarch has a more controlled pop and lands like butter!!! I feel like my riding has improved alot since riding it. I feel more relaxed and in control. Plus it digs like a shovle when on edge!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-13-2008, 4:57 AM Reply   
Kyle, I was a at a competition last week and everyone was lovin' on the Monarch. They compared it to the Marek, said it was better...compared to Sub VI, said it was better. The outlaw division had several guys riding the Monarch.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
If i had to pick a non-flex board it would be the monarch.... rode some kids at OWC a few times and it was really fun.... such a wide board but its pretty light so it doesn't feel is big as it is
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Did a demo on the Monarch and loved it. The only thing that kept me from getting it was the price (which I wasn't aware of when I did the demo ).

I think I've settled on the Witness 144. It rides very similar to the Monarch IMO.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
I really like the Monarch54, it has great speed, pop and landings. I am still adjusting to the finless aspect, but being so light is spins super easy and lands soft in the flats. Other boards I have ridden are the Trip 138 and Marek 146 which I am comparing it to. I am typically a continuous board rider, but this three stage also works well for me and is consistent. In my opinion the Monarch is faster than the two other boards I referred to.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-13-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
i'm with andy. gotta axis sittin up against the wall. fast but quite as much pop as i'd like. you might want to take a look at the shane. fast and tons of pop.

the witness is sick. although its a hybrid it pops crazy like a 3stage. real forgiving very relaxed ride.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Get the Monarch! It is super poppy supper light and awesome on rails!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Steeze, hows the durability of the board? For $650 I need something that will hold up reasonably well, at least 2-3 months. I can't deal with these premiers breaking anymore lol
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Dude are you Riley from Rixen?!?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
It holds up! The Molded fins will wear down from sliders long before you break the board. If you have the chance to demo some boards try the b side and the marek.

Rathy and LaRiche both went to the Marek from the Premier and JD obviously went to the b side.

Ask WakeViolater about the B Side he went to that from the Premier and Loves it. He is a Regional Hyperlite rider over here in NorCal.

I've only riden the premier once on rails so i can give you a good comparison I rode the 3ds and am now on the Marek.

Sorry for the rambling just trying to help.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
It's crazy seeing Jimmy and Rathy on a continuous rocker. I couldn't believe when Jimmy went to the Sub 6 even. That board must be something special. I really need a board with molded fins though. Just way more convenient and cost effective with how much cable I ride
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Oh yea I hated breaking my fins off on the cable i just started riding the 3ds without em on the cable. Fun on sliders but air tricks were a push without em.

Go for the monarch you wont be disappointed!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to, are you Riley from Rixen?!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-13-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
the monarch is my favorite board ever. has more pop than any other board i have ridden. it is loose yet tracks really well when you dig the fins in. not sure exactly on the weight but feels lighter than my roams. as far as durrabitlity, i have not broken one yet. in the past i typically go through 4-5 boards a year. the only thing i wouldnt recomend it for is hitting rails. the fins will not hold up beacuse they are really thin. take an old board and hit rails.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-13-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
Yeah man! I am living out in cali now! Tell all the rixen rats I said whats up!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Nice dude, i definitely will. You haven't gotten to try out the new a-frame yet have you?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-14-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
yo kyle, steeze and I came out earlier this year and got to hit the a-frame up. it was sick!

if your a premier guy I will strongly recomend you tryying the BSIDE. It is heavier than the monarch (most boards are) but the control, pop, speed and soft landings are a huge improvement from the premier.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-14-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
BSIDE....best board ive ever riden.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-14-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Yeah Wakeviolater Rob Mapp and I had a session on that A frame in the morning before rixen opened. It was sick! I'll be back there next month!