Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-10-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I will post a video as well, but I want to kind of talk through what I feel is happening so maybe you guys can help me figure this out... I understand the trip and always go w2w (minus the only video that I have lol) I feel like the first 3/4 of the rotation is on point, as I start coming down to land I always land perpendicular or switch though and it really makes me mad! I probably could do a tantrum to revert, but really want to learn it correctly... Btw, I only have one hand on the handle, not really down with the double handed tantrum lol. If you guys can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-10-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_4Lb...ature=youtu.be
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-10-2013, 8:22 PM Reply   
First thing you need to start practicing is initiating the trick on time. You are throwing it way too early and not getting enough pop to clear the wake. Stand taller and be sure u throw it at the tip of the wake. You will go much higher and will be able to get a clear view of your landing. u can work on your revert thing from there. Good luck!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-10-2013, 9:54 PM Reply   
will do, will try next time I head out and post results. Thanks for the advice man.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-10-2013, 11:05 PM Reply   
What jrich said plus it looks like you may be taking a pretty narrow cut. Start out wide and get on it for a good tantrum.
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-11-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
I use to have the same problem, especially with MC rampy wakes. What I did to fix it is a nice long cut in, and lower my butt on the approach, at the trip (which your trip was early) I ensure I am standing tall. After the trip, I try to focus on bringing up my knees and almost think about grabbing the board. You will almost feel like you were double jumped on a trampoline if you hit it right. When that happens, you will have tons of time and a nice clear view of your landing, and in most cases a easier landing than a large wake to wake jump. I cant tell how fast your going but I would also consider bumping up .3 or .5 mph. Good luck! Let us know when you land it!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-11-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I will be out in the next week or so I'm hoping so I'll post an update next time I ride!
Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       06-11-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
I had a similar problem when I was learning the tantrum. What was causing it, I think, was leaving too early.

What really helped me was focusing on approaching and waiting to hit the wake like I was doing a wake jump to the flats, then abruptly tripping--you really have to wait till the last second. You'll feel the pop and then you'll get booted and be able to spot your landing really quick, making it easy to land.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-11-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Different suggestions help different people, so here is mine. For timing, every time a do a tantrum, I focus on the very top of the wake. Even looking at it under my lead arm as I change edges. Then square up and stomp my front foot on the top of the wake. You really have to wait to get the full boot. Try going to late on one.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-11-2013, 8:09 PM Reply   
@Brian thanks man, I appreciate the advice, everyone keeps telling me to throw it later, but it didn't really make sense to me. Your explanation makes a lot more sense! I can do scarecrows really consistently and was wondering if the trip flip edge is the same concept with the tantrum? I was thinking about it today and it does require a "trip" (at least it seems that way to me) or am I just imagining things and they are totally different?
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-12-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
Yes, it's a trip flip. Good Luck.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
All of the advice about waiting to the top of the wake is definitely key, and good advice for most tricks...

With your tantrum.. I think that your issue of landing perpendicular, this tendancy to go to revert is happening because you're looking forward/at the boat too long. At some point as you're riding to the top of the wake and squaring up for the pop, try to look away... Your chin should be closer to your left shoulder when you take off, looking away from the boat. I think this will fix your revert issue. Good luck
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-14-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
So I did everything, tripped way later, looked away from the boat and cut in from farther out... Going w2w and past consistently and make the rotation every time, but I still am landing completely flat or switch, amazed I haven't caught a toe edge yet... Any advise, please, I'm so close!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-18-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
More video!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-18-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
Stomped it last night! Didn't have an opportunity to video because there were so few of us on the boat. I will get a video up as soon as I ride next, I really appreciate all of your help, it is a ridiculously fun trick when I land it lol. Btw, for those of you who are wondering, i figured out what I was doing wrong. I was rotating with my front shoulder which is why my board was always 180 or flat. I started focusing on using both feet instead of just my back foot when pop and that helped a ton and finally sticking my head out to watch for the landing.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-18-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Congrats on landing it!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-18-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Thanks bro!
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-19-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
That wake you've got there looks ssoooo fun, on the side.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-19-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
Oh heck, ya man, that wake is mackin'. I still haven't ridden with full weight this year, I will have to post a video next time I go out and ride with full weight.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-19-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
btw, if you ever make it out to Eastern Washington, pm me, be more than happy to let you give that wake a go!
Old     (chrisjohnson538)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-21-2013, 12:44 AM Reply   
progressive edge