Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-12-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
I'm upgrading my sub from a RF punch S2 to a JL Audio 12W6v2 with a JL e1400D. Before the sub was under the drivers area in a sealed box of my XLV. I don't think that the JL is going to fit because its alot bigger. If I put the new box in the passenger compartment will I lose the booming sound that the openness of the drivers area provided?\popjpegnew spot..{462185,Upload}
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-12-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
You should actually have enough room to shoehorn that sub into the same place...if not, and you have to relocate it, the best way to keep the boom is to port the box out into the side of the hull...since your hull is hollow, it basically uses the entire boat as the 'box' and will really thump. I'd recommend doing that for whichever side you choose, actually, although in the original position you can certainly get enough volume out of a sealed enclosure.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-12-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
Upload
This were I thought it would have to go. Does'nt porting the box put the speaker and wood partials at risk. We really like the pounding in the area its at now but am glad to hear theres other options.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-13-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Built properly, a ported box will have no more risk of rot than a sealed one...i would suggest glassing it inside and out.

Talk to an audio shop and see if they can't get that w6 under your dash, i have a TINY area under my dash (so many jokes here...ugh) and was very surprised, but it fit perfectly, and I didn't even have to bring the footwall out, although that is another option as well.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
Is a ported box vs. a sealed box the classic "Ford vs. Chevy" or is there a clear difference between the two?
Old     (masterxstar)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
big difference between sealed and ported a sealed box is more punchy were a ported box has more of a lower bass , sealed boxes are really easy to build just make sure that it is compleatly sealed . Now a ported box is louder but it must be tuned right. what i mean by tuning is the size of your port. a 10 could be tuned a 50 - 40 hz or a 12 at 40-30 hz look online for port sizing good luck
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
I thinking lower bass is better, but I don't understand "punchy". Does it mean hit hard. In addition I want bada$$ which is that. I like the looks of thisUpload
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-13-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
There is a clear difference, yes, but like the ford/chevy, the difference is all in what sound you prefer...

Punchy means tight...a sealed box gives you very responsive, tight, fast bass (good for rock and metal) and ported gives you a lower, boomier sound (rap and hiphop)...but both will hit plenty hard. You should definitely take it to a shop and have them suggest or even build you one, it'll be worth it.

(Message edited by tonality on June 13, 2007)
Old     (masterxstar)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
i think that is a ported box but i really cant tell, well if you want it loud and to shake things go with a ported box .. remember a ported takes more air space so that maybe a factor .. and by the way bigger is better . dont go off what the speaker company tells you a good size for a 10 is 2.5-3 cubic feet and a 12 3.5-4 cubic feet.. it dosent have to be that big but it helps alot . you can put a high end speaker in crap box and it will sound like crap. so take you time in building a box good luck