Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-05-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
I blew one of my stock speakers in my car, and its about time I upgrade anyway.

What do you guys recommend for some good, not crazy expensive car speakers.

what I am looking for:
I do NOT want component speakers
I would like okay bass out of them, had subs, got rid of them, just too much for me so would like the speakers to pick up the slack
I'll get an amp to power them, not just my head-unit
Fronts - 6.5" (2) I'm leaving the 1" tweets in
Rear - 6x9" (2)
might add two more myself on each side of my center console/shifter area if I get ambitious

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
Polk momo have a ton of midbass.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-05-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
+1 for momo, just installed 4 in my boat
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-06-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
What kind of car?

We mostly sell JL Audio and MB Quart for cars. There's a lot out there. Everyone's gonna say that something is better than the other but honestly the best is gonna be what you listen to and like.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
honda civic, pure class.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-06-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Nick-

In those sizes, you will find that there are about as many styles, brands and models as there are opinions.

John B is right, you really ought to load up some of your favorite music and a phone book and go find some shops where you can listen to some of your stuff on the speakers you are considering. It might take a little time, but with patience, you will figure out the best setup for your listening needs and desires.

I could recommend you buy Kicker, (I work there) but I would hope you would not go buy them blindly just based on my recommendation, (well, okay, maybe I would hope that... ) Shop around and buy what sounds good to you.

Good luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
^ Kickers on our tower are awesome.

I'm just at the point where anything will beat the stock and I don't want to dump in a ton of money.... with that said I will avoid Pyle, Dual ,etc etc etc

Thanks again everyone
Old     (chargedfe)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
1 vote Image Dynamics CTX65 and CTX69.. awesome speakers for the $$.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5558/CTX69--Image-Dynamics--6-x-9"-2-Way-Speaker-w--Silk-Tweeters.htm
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-06-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
With that, avoid all the junk....

Phil makes a good point and I'll add that with the car audio market dying you should really check around locally and support your local shops if it's possible. My shop survives because it's part-time with no store front. We have a "word-of-mouth" business and are able to keep it alive that way. With a storefront, rent, taxes, and overpriced insurance it would be hard to stay in business. That's why you should check around not only to support, but find what sounds best to you. I may think a certain brand or model sounds really good, and you may think that something else does. It's like test driving a car before you buy it.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
*Boston Acoustics SL in front and SX in rear.
*Focal VRS in front and Access in rear.
*JL Audio Evolution.

All the above have a little different character but all are very musical.

Nick, my involvement has been more marine for quite some time. But if I remember correctly some Civics have depth challenges in the front doors. The Boston SL are neo magnets. The Focal VRS are a slim line version in the Polyglass line.

David
Earmark Marine

(Message edited by david_e_m on May 06, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
^ they do... but its just a plastic thing that can easily be cut out.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-06-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
What year Civic? The 96 and up I believe had an opening that wasn't quite 6.5", or the true 6.5's wouldn't fit.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-06-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yep, I think the opening will be the problem, but I haven't worked on one of those in a while. The back can be cut off like you said.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-07-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I find Polks too bright for cars. I prefer MB
Quart in my car and truck. Boston's are also nice. Infinity's are another good option if you twist the tweeter to -4db.