Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
Life is good when you are faced with these kind of decisions. I was wondering what anyone thinks between the two boats. Based on what I know, you are splitting hairs between these two performance wise. Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated. I would like to make an even more informed decision with knowledge from folks not associated with a MC or CC dealership. Thanks.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-03-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Biggest thing is going to be personal preference, go demo them and try them out! As a personal preference I like the wake shape of the 230 and exterior looks better but I prefer the xstar in interior looks and feel. Having a good relationship with your dealer should factor into your decision as well.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
The 230 has a sweet interior for sure, but that Xstar wake is sooooo mellow even with the PWT ballast. It's like huge and mellow. I've never been behind a boat like that. Smooth rampy trannys that boost you and land you soft. But the thing handles like a tank loaded! Oh man, what am I really looking for?!
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-03-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
yeah i've never been in a 230 that was REALLY REALLY loaded down so I can't comment on how they handle weight compared to the xstar, but the xstar will definitely drive like a champ weighted compared to most all others. I only thought it was sluggish until I was in a few other boats that were slammed.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-03-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
I have an xstar but my friend had a 230 while his 210 was in the shop for months (he is a pro and his 210 had a major warranty problem). After a few weeks of trying out the 230 with different weight setups the wake was very big but never found a good consistent shape. he ended up getting very frustrated and decided to put all the weight we had into my xstar which was about 3500 lbs+/- until he got his 210 back.

IMO the xstar has been proven to provide pro level wakes and a shape that is great with stock weight or with additional weight for all levels of riders. If your looking for pure wake performance the xstar has been proven to have one of the best wakes in wakeboarding.

They are both great boats but they also have different features and styling. The interior for me is what i really love about the xstar. the wrap around seating is very open and comfortable if you want to lie down or sit back and relax. The 230 gave me a cluttered feel with the seat arrangements. just my opinion.
Old     (symonphilip)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
SAN 230. all the way. with just the standard ballast, its awsome, much better wake shape in my thinking...

(Message edited by symonphilip on January 03, 2009)
Old    wiz            01-03-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
imo the nauti. the xstar's wake is just too mellow. i'm not trying to knock mc, but there is a reason they're the boat of the pwt. it's money. the xstar is a great boat. i just feel its way over priced especially for a super mellow wake. plus i prefer the classic look over the pickle fork.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Here is 09 x-star with stock ballast, pro-tour ballast (front = full, rear = 75%)
Upload
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Thanks fellas. I appreciate the info and the pics. Soulrider, I am with you on the "cluttered feeling" in the SAN 230. The X-star is a lot cleaner with the styling. Since I am not a pro and a mellow wake is better for 34 year-old knees i think the X-star would be a better pick.

PCM vs. Indmar? Thoughts?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
The boat I'm using above has the MCX egnine - with the right prop it pushes stock+pro-tour fine.... if you get a lot of people or once we ran Stock + PT + 2 more bags and it had some trouble, but still got outta the water... I honestly didn't see a ton of difference between the 5.7 and 6.0 as long as the prop is right
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
stock x star wake is pretty terrible imo. stock 230 was pretty good for stock i thought. Slam a 230 and its incredible, you can charge it super hard and still feel in control, i cant comment on the xstar with pro tour ballast though, that pic looks pretty sweet though
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Slammed 230/236 wake gets sloppy and porpoises like crazy. And thats first hand from riding in one of CC's main riders boat whom I will not name.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-03-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
They are both nice boats, but I would give the nod to the 230, I just think its a better built boat that will run circles around an X-Star loaded or not loaded with weight.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Explain better built. Just curious.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-03-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
Not going to get into with you Billy, we all know your a Mastercraft guy and are friends with Zane.

All I am doing is stating my opinion, I think the purchaser should do the homework and find out for themselves who they think builds a more quality boat.
IMO the purchaser should get out on the water in both boats and do a factory tour of both facilities and then make an educated decision.

I am a Nautique guy, you are a Mastercraft guy and that's not going to change, so its up to the purchaser to make up their mind.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Actually the CC dealer here is a very good friend of mine and I worked for him for 11 years and owned quite a few as well. I also know quite a few CC riders and skiers quite well. I think the CC is an awesome boat, in fact if you dont buy a MC I always tell people to buy a CC. Anything else is way below the 2 (CC,MC) in quality imo.
What I do hate to see, as well as quite a few CC dealers, is the recent cheapening of the boats by the new owners.
I just wanted to know what you thought was better built in your opinion. I did not want to get into it with you, just asking what you meant.

(Message edited by woreout on January 03, 2009)

(Message edited by woreout on January 03, 2009)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-03-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
236 is a much bigger boat... would definetly offer the advantage in people capacity.. also surfing wake would be better.

The X-star is great for boarding and caters to many different skill levels.

Surfing is decent too.. we just load 2 x 440 sacs in the port locker and fill the port ballast tanks.. set VDIG for 10.8mph and call it a day...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-03-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
For wakeboarding only....X-star without a doubt. That 230 seating arrangement is tough to get used to. Feels like a living room with too much furniture.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-03-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
^^^^^agreed^^^^^
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
I have a 236 we remove the center seat most of the time to unclutter the furniture as you guys say. You have wrap around seating for 8 good size adults comfortably. The front is not as roomy as the pickle fork. The 230 has way more room in the cockpit than the xstar. Being used to a cc wake I would have to say that on my buddies pwt we have to add at least 2500lbs on top of stock to get the wake we like. This in turn uses a ton of fuel.Also the cockpit is crowded with 4-6 adults in the xstar. In my 236 we run about 1200 on top of stock any given day and it is huge. If you have a crew of several adults the space in the cockpit on the 230 would be a better fit. Personally I like the wake and look on both boats so demo and make up your mind. Don't make a decision based on opinions of people on here. If you want quality and bling but less space go MC but remember you will need more weight. If you want quality, more space, and want to run less weight go CC. good luck
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Also I forgot to mentioned I have spent a great deal of time on both boats and in my opion the PWT xstar with the 350 is underpowered for the way we weight it. If you buy the star and are gonna weight it heavy go with the LY6. If you go 230 get the zr6. I have the 375 zr6 in my 07 and with the stock prop it will push a heavily weighted 230 just fine.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-03-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
best 2 boats out there in my opinion. I bought a 236 since I liked the combination of interior, wake, and high freeboard.

Im thowing about 2500 on top of factory ballast. all in all about the same amount of weight I ran in my 00 xstar. all in all a killer boat.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
No doubt the SAN's porpoise. The 210 I tested porpoised with only stock ballast. Needless to say I was not impressed. Good wake no doubt but having to mess with the hydrogate to keep it from bouncing around was a pain. I think I am going to go MC. It seems more plug and play. Plus the wake's transition is way mellow. These knees can't take to much straight up pop. Thanks for the help. Can't wait for summer.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
if you go X-star get the protour ballast upgrade and it is ready out of the box to be a good wakeboard boat....

stock alone, gross
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
I'm all over it. I tested one with the PWT ballast. Freakin wake is scary when you're charging it for the first time but still mellow. Nice combination.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-03-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Stock Ballast is great when you are learning the fundamentals. Huge wake teaches you bad habits very quick
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
I am still learning the fundamentals after a 14 year break. I originally learned on the skurfer behind a 1990 american skier. Started back 2 years ago and it's a lot easier to learn with these boats and these boards. It hasn't taken long to get most of the fundamentals back.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-04-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
IMO you are looking at the two top brands on the market. The MC needs a lot of extras added on to make it work. By the time you put the package together the price is much higher. The CC is built with better ergonomics much easier to work on.It doesn't need so many add ons.The CC seems to hold their value better. There are a ton of XStars on the market now. You may want to check the used market before you buy. In the end BUY the boat that's best for you there is no wrong with ether boats.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-04-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Can't go wrong with either but I would choose the 230. To me, CC feel a lot more solid than a MC and the build quality on my 210 is much nicer than a friends X2 of the same year. I also prefer the classic look in the bow and the 230 is a larger boat. Also, when you go to sell the CC will hold it's value much better than the MC because as the Michael stated above, much more X-Stars on the market vs 236/230. The 230 will also cost less in the long run with fuel, longer warranty, etc.

I own a 210 and have been in a 236 a few times and never had a porpoise problem in either boat. Then again, we don't run much weight over stock so I'm not sure how it runs heavily weighted. IMO, an 80K boat shouldn't need 3000 lbs. to have a good wake, but that is a whole other discussion in itself.

Either way, both boats are among the best out there and you will not be left disappointed with either.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
First time I rode in my buddies 230 I was very surprised. Outstanding wake. It was big and solid and had a pretty good transition and kick. The X-star transition is very long and takes some getting used to...you have to really wait till you get to the top of the wake. I am not a fan of the CC interior, but after you spend the day in it, you will really begin to appreciate it. Looks can be deceiving and this boats interior can really look weird. I personally would go with the 230. The surf wakes are also awesome. My X-star does not throw that great of a surfwake, especially on the starboard side. I personally would go with the CC. The boat really is nice and solid, and like I said, if you spend a day with the interior, it will grow on you.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-04-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
I love both boats, I just wish MC would shorten up the sundeck to free up more space on the interior - you get a little cramped with a full crew.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Werd sinko. Doesn't sound like they are changing anything anytime soon. You would think they would do that, given they've done it with other models. At least change the top deck a bit.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-04-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I recently ordered a 230. I ride weekly behind an 08 X-star and I have always owned Malibu Wakesetter VLX's. I really am not a fan of how the X-star drives at slow speeds and I feel the the main cabin area is small. They are both great boats with killer wakes once they have been sacked.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-04-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
Great feedback. I guess I should clarify fellas. i didn't before. I actually own an '08 X-star fully loaded. The wake is solid but so right about driving at slow speeds. Hopefully I can sell it. It only has 35 hrs on it. I have to go ride behind the 230, as I have only ridden behind the 210. I liked it, but didn't love it. That wake was good but felt steep compared to the x-star. Is the 230's transition a little smoother I wonder? And what kind of "scrilla" ($$$$$) am i looking at for a 230 team edition?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-04-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
I know a place in Wisconsin was selling an 08' 230 TE for ~63k or so....and they have had it for a while (maybe can deal a bit)

http://www.fortfremont.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=04019586X1K4K2009J11I17 I06JPMQ1986R0&veh=59674&pov=694020

The boat looks great in person
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2009, 5:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link Nick, but I'm looking for the 409 PCM with the FCT-3 tower. I definitely want and '09. I'm just going to have to wait until i sell the X-star, if i can.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-05-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
MSRP on a 230 Team with the ZR-409 and FCT-3 is about 90K.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
If you want room and wake get an X45 same price as the XStar but holds 18 peeps. 6.0 LY6 and a wakeplate perfect for surfing as well.
Old     (sinisalo)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-05-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
will recive my 230 -09 in 2 weeks :-) with fct 3 and the 409hk engine.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Billy, you must be a MC guy for sure. I hold no loyalty to either boat. They are both very good, very well made, and create a great wake. It becomes a style question at this point. Plus to be able to get this thing in the garage that FCT-3 tower is much easier. That MC tower takes me and another guy. I'm leaning 230. You want to buy an X-Star? :-) 35hrs, PWT Ballast, roswell C6 light bar. lol
Old    K.B.C.            01-05-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Why sell a brand new boat to buy another new brand new boat?

I don't get it, am I missing something?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-05-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
If you are looking to get rid of the 08 X-Star than I do not understand why you wouldn't go with the 230. What would you gain from going to an 08 to an 09 X-Star. Nothing really changed on that boat from 08 to 09.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-05-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Scott beat me to it. Why sell unless your changing boats?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-05-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   

quote:

Great feedback. I guess I should clarify fellas. i didn't before. I actually own an '08 X-star fully loaded. The wake is solid but so right about driving at slow speeds. Hopefully I can sell it. It only has 35 hrs on it. I have to go ride behind the 230, as I have only ridden behind the 210. I liked it, but didn't love it. That wake was good but felt steep compared to the x-star. Is the 230's transition a little smoother I wonder? And what kind of "scrilla" ($$$$$) am i looking at for a 230 team edition?

It's not the best pic of the 230 transition but you will get the idea. The wake to the left is a 02 SANTE ='s steep and a 08 230 SANTE with stock ballast and 2 people in the boat.
Upload
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'm confused wtf? who the hell is that ^^^^
did the original guy AMO change his name half way through this thread?
I swear I thought he said above he was buying a MC now he owns a MC but is buying a CC.
WHOS ON FIRST?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-05-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm with you Billy, one day he is sold on the MC and the next he owns one already and is sold on the CC! I think he wife logged on and secretly wants the CC!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
No it's me. I apologize for the confusion fellas. I've read the thread and now I'm confused! LOL. I was trying to get opinions without having to say I own one. Don't ask why. Anyway, I like my MC, I do not love it. I haven't been in a lot of Nautiques. I have a friend who owned one and only had it on the water 30% of the time. The rest of the time it was in the shop. I figured I'd hit you guys up for some info. I'm really sorry for the confusion. Good one about the wife though. She's about ready to kill me over these damn boats. I just want the best boat I can get for my needs. The Nautiques drive a little better in my opinion. I'm leaning toward getting a used 230 at the end of '09. There's always another dumbass like me who buys a 90k boat, puts 35 hours on it and doesn't love it!
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       01-07-2009, 4:08 AM Reply   
Me personnally everytime I was ready for a new boat , I shopped all the dealers in my area and tryed every model that interested me, no matter what brand , then I demoed every one to get a feel of the boat, rode in and took my sons with me to ride behind and get there imput. I have since owned several brands, pertaining to quality , and resale , all for me had there plus sides and down sides , but everyone I have owned had made percentages equal on resale after 3 years of ownership. When Im spending that kind of money , I owe it to myself to try them all , and have never gotten a bad boat.