Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-21-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Long story is no, I love cdub too much but here is my story....

Last summer I bought a "new" left over 03 absolute platinum which I loved, but it snapped in half after a month.

I then bought a 05 absolute platinum, which I also loved, but it completely delaminated this summer.

So in the meantime I have been borrowing a friends 03 absolute, which I loved, but....

Snapped the damn thing tonight.

I have never tried to warranty any of these boards because they have each seen a day or two on a slider (the last o3 had only two hits ever on a slider) and I recognize the risk I take when using sliders.....but I have to wonder, does hitting a slider really cause a board to snap in half? I can see the science behin the delam, but not snapping.

Im almost hoping someone behind CWB might step up to the plate and make a deal with me, times are tight and now Im not only boardless but I owe my buddy a board as well.

Any thoughts? I cant imagine riding anything other than the shape I love.

Matter of fact, I rode the 07 Transcend tonight after breaking mine and it wasnt the board for me, felt sluggish and unnatural on my feet.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-21-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
what kind of slider is it?

i would not advise sliding an plat unless sponsered (getting them for free)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-21-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Here's what to do:

1. Buy a new board for your buddy, 'cause you owe him one.
2. Buy yourself a new Absolute. DO NOT SLIDE IT.
3. Buy yourself an old slider board. I'm sure you can pick one up cheap here or on ebay.

Whether or not the sliding caused the boards to break doesn't matter, we all know that the warranty is void if the board gets jibbed.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on August 21, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
Ahh...you didn't like the 07 Trani? I loved it.

You might try asking the local rep if they will take care of you.
Old    tigeslide            08-21-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
dude so heres wat to raelly do dont get no more cwb get 2 shawn watsons one 4 u and 1 4 yer friend they ride great ad dont snap like crazy lf work
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
dude you talk like a freakin hobo alex
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-21-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
Alex, do you type all messed up like that on purpose?!
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-21-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
It seems like Alex is from Italy. He kind of has the Soprano's style going on.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2006, 11:50 PM Reply   

quote:

dude so heres wat to raelly do dont get no more cwb get 2 shawn watsons one 4 u and 1 4 yer friend they ride great ad dont snap like crazy lf work

Translated:
Mike, this is what I think you should do. In my opinion it would be best for you to not buy any more CWB wakeboards. I suggest you get a Watson board and a Watson for your friend as a replacement. They ride great, and I have yet to snap one. This post has been my life's work.

-Steve
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-22-2006, 12:58 AM Reply   
"This post has been my life's work."

LOL

Nice one, Steve. And thanks for the translation... I didn't bother reading his post.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
"Ahh...you didn't like the 07 Trani? I loved it."

Jarrod, you're a brave man to make that sort of admission here on ww.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
Yeh I know I'm coming out!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
a buddy of ine has snapped an abosolute at least once a season. Watched year or two ago in a tournament he snapped two back to back on his first trick in the pass (snapped the first on a back roll, was given 15 minutes for hardware, got another board and snapped it on the first backroll). Two weekends ago he snapped another one on a backroll.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
Mike-- I am with J-Rod, if you liked the 05 Absolute I am amazed that you didn't like the 07 T-send. They are very similar to one another. What size are you riding? How tall are you, and what do you weigh? I would talk to the shop where you bought the board, or to a local rep, they should be able to help you out.

Keith--same to you; what size board is your buddy riding? What does he weigh?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
Wow...everytime on a backroll.

Some guys break a lot of boards. Chances are he would break anything. A friend of mine has a stack of broken Premier boards in his room. If you go big, you'll break boards.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 8:11 AM Reply   
The 07 Transcend felt weird to me ( rode it without the fin extensions btw ). Pop was great, landings were great.....broke loose easy which is my style, but I just felt like something was "dragging" on my cut into the wake if that makes sense.

I think everyone has a certain shape board that is perfect for them, and the 03 absolute is mine.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
Have you broken both the plat and non plat?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Mike if you're breaking the Plati's try riding the foam boards. The don't feel as killer, but they are a bit more stout. I think they flex a bit more before failing. I'd also agree with the statement that you should stay away from sliders with a Plati unles you are getting them for free. Same goes for the old DNA HL's. Too expensive and fragile to be sliding.

I hate to say it, but if you buy the boards new yourself you'll never have warranty issues. Just bring them back to your favorite shop and voila. New board.

BTW.... I, too, am amazed you didn't like the Transcend. IMO it is the perfect board. I think it's going to be CWB's shining star next year. For the first time I like it better than the Absolute.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-22-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Just for the record I also saw a guy (forgot his name off hand) snap a watson at the PWT in minneapolis this year, just saying as others have, you go big, you'll break boards.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Yup, my local board shop showed me a snapped Watson also. I asked what happened and his explanation was the kid just goes huge? I Can't back that up but the board was wrecked.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
I broke the 03 plat, the 05 plat, and now the 03 foam.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-22-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
If you were to support you local shop--and not buy via the internet, you would not be having any warranty issues.
Secondly, if you go big consistently into the flats, odds are you are going to break a few boards. I know a guy who loves his Liquid Force Shane, but has broken several.
I agree with TackleBerry--use an old board for sliders.
I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with a deal on a new board(s).

I rode the 2007 Transcend last week and loved it--you are the first to say anything negative--perhaps you are just having a bad week. Hope everything works out for you.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
not negative, just not for me, there is a difference.

all my boards were bought from a local shop btw, but its no longer in business.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-22-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Mike,
I would emal or call a service guy at CWB. I had some problems with heal lift in my LF '05 Team bindings and they sent me some new binding parts no questions asked. I always felt CWB was close to LF on customer service.
Old     (more_betterness)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-22-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Mike I am sorry your board snapped but you do not have a leg to stand on. You bought a board and were told or knew that any slider use and your warranty was void. No Board Company is going to help you because you violated the terms of the warranty. Same with any shop online or local. I would be out of business if I gave every customer who snapped their boards after using it on a slider a new board. Hyperlite, CWB, and LF only send new boards to us if it fits under what they cover under warranty and none of them cover slider damage.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Chris I know all of this, which is why Ive never attempted to warranty my boards.

I dont think snapping a board in half horizontally is due to two hits on a slider though....but yes its the risk I take and Im aware of it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Chris..that's a pretty firm stance.

CWB took care of me even though my board it was no longer covered.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
I recall a thread on this topic a few weeks ago. I was at camp with a guy, Jeff, from Canyon Lake in SoCal, in June, and he rode an Absolute Platinum and broke it in half right behind the rear binding (on a backroll if I recall). I was amazed because he had brought a back-up board just in case. I hadn't seen anyone snap a board before. He was unperturbed by it, and loves CWB. I don't know if he got it replaced or what. Even though I hear you saying that lots of boards break, esp. if going big, it seems to come up on this forum more frequently that it is a CWB board. Is that incorrect? I also recall in that previous discussion that there was a reinforced version of the plat. available from CWB.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I dont care how many I break really, I love that board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-22-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Les, that's possible. More boards in the market means more broken boards stories.

95% of wakeboarders will probably never break a board anyway. I havee riddden the same CWB shae for four years and I have only broken one.

But again, if you're breaking a lot of CWBs, chances are you would break anything.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Les, All boards break. Some break more easily than others. The boards that are pushing the weight limits are usually the most fragile. The Platinum core boards are among, if not the, lightest boards around. They do seem to have a tendency to break when subjected to very hard use. That said, I've seem some that last years without breaking. The guys that are breaking boards generally are used to it. It's their riding style. We ride with a couple guys that could go out and break a board every set. They have to tone their huge riding styles down to preserve equipment. They've broken all brands of boards. We were talking out on the boat last week that one of the guys went through 5 byerly's in 3 months. He's only broken 1 Marius this year. After watching him ride you'd most likely be impressed with the strength of that board.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-22-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I think it goes without saying that lighter will rarely mean stronger, anyone should factor that into their decision to buy a plat or non plat board imo.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-22-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Well if everyone would just stick to wake to wake 180's we would not have this breaking problem and I would be king.
Old    nate_b            08-22-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quick question. Do the plat. and non-plat. boards have the same shape, just with a different core, or are they totally different boards?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Yup, same shape. They have hollow carbon stringers running the length of the board and a carbon top sheet.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, good info. I wish somebody I rode with had an absolute plat. I'd like to try one.

Hey Erik, did you see the post about helmuts today? I guess the only thing you break on the W2W 180's is your head. Ouch!