Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2lilwakeboarders)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Was wondering if anyone has wakeboarded with a broken wrist or what kind of recovery time you had until you could ride again.

It was a clean break of the radius bone.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
ouch man, that has to suck. Good luck with recovery. Hope you get back on the board as soon as you can.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-19-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
do you have a waterproof cast? I broke mine first week of summer when i was 13 and still rode all summer with no problems
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-19-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
I think a lot of it depends on what bone you broke. I broke both of my wrists almost two years ago. I was lucky that it was at the end of the season because I couldn't even think about putting that much pressure on them for at least 2 months. I broke my scaphoids though, which I think take quite a bit more time to heal. I also had to have a screw put in my right hand. All in all it took me about 8 months before I was 100% comfortable putting my full weight on them. I still have off and on pain in them and I'm already showing signs of arthritis when the weather changes. Best of luck on your recovery though!
Attached Images

Old     (2lilwakeboarders)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Jesse- You were able to ride with a cast on with not much down time? My 11 yr old son is the one whose wrist broke the biggest bummer is he just got 3rd at WWA Nationals in his division this weekend and was wanting to go to worlds in 4 weeks. I really hope he can ride!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Yep depends on fracture. I had a compression type fracture at the head of the radius earlier this year but didn't get it x-rayed for two or three weeks. Kept thinking it was sprained. Since it was about 1/2 heeled by the time I finally saw a Doc, they just gave me a splint/brace. I went wakeboarding a week or two after that and had zero pain while wakeboarding because it didn't compress my wrist. Now if I had to push with any force with my arm that soon after the break, it still hurt pretty bad though. If you see a sports MD, they should give you a pretty good feel for how soon he could ride again.

A fine showing by your son at Nationals. Congrats!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Get him a goretex lined cast and see what he can do. It is going to be more about how much pain he can handle than anything else. I broke my wrist snowboarding and got a goretex cast and was riding within 6 weeks of breaking it. However I broke mine much worse than it sounds like your son did. I broke my radius and ulna. I broke my radius so bad that the piece I broke was sitting on top of my wrist instead of the bottom. It looked like I had an egg underneath my skin. My first cast came all the way up to the middle of my bicep. Once that cast was off and I was in the short one I was snowboarding again.
Old     (2lilwakeboarders)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 4:03 PM Reply   
Update - Just got back from the Orthopedic Dr and they had to reset it and they said he is out for probably 6 weeks. I can tell you I do not have a happy boy right now!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-19-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
I rode with a broken wrist the 2003-04 season. I really only jibbed because Holding the handle in my right hand (broke my right wrist) hurt like hell. I would suggest not hitting rails in 2 feel of water however. I managed to break my broken wrist right above my cast and at the same time break my other wrist hitting. That made for a real shiatty rest of the season!
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Brett - you only have one scaphoid....sorry. Had to
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-20-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
You are most definitely right! One scaphoid in each wrist, and I broke both wrists.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
^^^ Touche....ouch brother. Hope it healed well.
Old     (dryhop)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-20-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
I broke a wrist a few years ago. The orthopedic Dr. gave me a thermal-plastic splint, basically a splint made from a piece of plastic heated up in a hot-water bath... and then form-fit to my wrist. Velcro straps held it in place. On a follow-up Dr. visit, I brought a wake handle in with me, and somehow convinced the therapist to re-form the splint with a nice grip half-way around the handle. Not sure how I talked her into that, but it worked great for keeping the wrist stable while getting in some basic riding.