Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-13-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
I live in Gainesville and looking to try something new this weekend. I am looking to stay at a hotel on water on a lake/river that I have not yet been to. I would like to keep the boat in the water all weekend. I did some research and found The Lake Roy Beach Inn in Winter Haven. Is this on the "chain". Is there water in it? Can I get to other lakes? Is this place worth staying at? And finally, does anyone have any other suggestions where I could stay for this upcomming weekend if this place is no good. I also would be willing to drive 5 or so hours up into Georgia. I am also not looking for "butter" just a new place to check out with the girlfriend. Thanks in advance.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-13-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
Lake Roy Inn is pretty nice because they are currently remodeling it, and it's also on the Winter Haven Chain. That's the good news, the bad news is that due to the lack of rain, the canals are low. You probably will not be able to go into the other lakes by canal, but there are plenty of public ramps you can use.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-13-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Shawn

silver glen, labor day weekend?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Whats up Shawn, havent seen you at Gators in a while.
I thought Lake Weir had "Lake Weir Inn" on the water? Just a thought.
Try VRBO.com in the areas you want to go, but Tim's idea is probably the best if you just want to cruise around. Lakes with connecting canals are pretty low right now.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-13-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
There is a low overhead bridge between Lake Roy and Lake LuLu that requires you drop your tower which can be very difficult on many boats. I have stayed there a couple weeks but usually end up trailering the boat over to Lake Eloise to launch.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
With the water low you'll never need to lower your tower. Going from Roy to Lulu you will for sure have to get out and push. I just went through the Summit to Eloise canal in a X45 and only hit once, but you may have to push there as well. There is also a tree in the canal between Summit and Eloise more towards the Eloise side so be careful.
When are you planning on coming down?
Shawn where did you buy your boat it looks awesome.

(Message edited by woreout on August 13, 2007)
Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-13-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
I dont know what to do. I really want to do something different and not deal with loading and unloading the boat all weekend.

Tim, I dont know what is going on for Labor Day. I think we are just going to hang out at the lake we've been going to, McMeekin in Hawthorne. It is a small lake with no public access. It is awesome. Smooth water on Saturday and Sunday afternoon!!

Ted, like I say above, we have been in love with this new lake. A buddy of mine has an awesome house on it. We take the boat out on Friday night and dont take it out of the water until Sunday night. It has been really nice. Also, I came to the conclusion that everytime I go to Weir I dont remember the ride home! :-( I have really stopped drinking on the lake and really have been focused more on riding. I guess when you always have smooth water you become more inclined to ride!

Billy, Thanks, I really love this boat. I bought it used from Lake Area Watersports in Melrose Fl. I traded my 03 Super Air for it. I am VERY happy with my purchase!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-14-2007, 5:20 AM Reply   
Shawn, sounds cool, I have been on that lake a few times, it is sweet.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-14-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
I dont remember the ride home from Lake Weir all too often as well. That's why we ride early in the morning...
Billy will probably give you a tow through the canals in Winter Haven - I think it was him that towed me through after a long day back in April. So nice of him, my hands were free for other things...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-14-2007, 6:31 AM Reply   
Shawn, also keep in mind that I have friends who live on Lake Weir. So if you ever want to do a weekend there, let me know. When I spend the weekend there and we have enough people to need two boats, we put my boat in friday night and take it out sunday night, just like you were saying. Right now I am working out of the country, but I'll be back periodically, so it would just take some planning ahead. I might be up there labor day weekend anyway, since I can't get anyone to go to the springs with me. haha.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
Ted I think you were using your hands to hold that puking guys head up out of the lake.
Shawn let me know when you come down, I know a couple of private access ramps.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-14-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
He was in your boat Billy, after you peed on his head.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Pee! Your hair smells terrific.
Ya know, I'm sure carma is gonna get me for that one.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
IMO, you dont want to do the Silver Glen on any holiday weekend. The boat police are EXTREMELY active on holiday weekends. Any other time and you will have a great time. You can stay at Jungle's Den on the St Johns.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Byrd, you WANT to do it on the big holiday weekend for the visual incentives. haha

I have done it a few times, and while I had a safety check, no problems with the boat police.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
I also have done it on the non holiday weekends, and it had a much more family vibe, which really wasn't as fun.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
I have a picture in my office of me getting a ticket at the Glen last year 4th of July. I have the classic - "Bad day boating better than a good day of work" written underneath. Duffy took it - pretty fuuny stuff.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
Where has Duffy been? I havent seen him on WW in a long time. I know Disneys Gay Days kept him busy for a while.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
He keeps calling me to go riding up in Clermont. After the Disney info, I think I'll pass...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Makes sense. The timing is about right, he has been missing for a while...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
He must be getting his summer-lovin'...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
yuck
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       08-17-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
I saw him out the other weekend wearing capris....not really sure whats wrong with that kid....different strokes for different folks....
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
Capris? Hes different folk ahright.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
His new perm and highlights will be perfect for his new gig as a stuntman in "Brokeback Mountain 2"...
I must say though last time I saw him his girlfriend was pretty Smokin. I think she wanted me, probably tired of putting on that cowboy costume with Duffy all the time..
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Oh my god, I just feel out of my chair !!!!!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
The problem with this sight is that they will let anyone on here.

Upload

Here is a photo of Jeff in his speedo riding behind Billy's boat. And judging by the look on Jeffs face or whatever that is on his face, I think Billy was riding behind him as well. Billy Ive always wanted to ask you, how exactly did you get the nickname "Woreout". As far as my girlfriend wanting you well she did actually want you, she wanted you to put your shirt back on until I explained to her that it was not a hairy women with saggy breast, its just Billy...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
And Ted fallin out of his chair, there something new. You can go to Lake Weir on any given weekend and see Ted fallin off his bar stool. I think they even have a special at Gators named after Ted. Its a drink called "swallow this" Now thats funny...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-20-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
For your info, I dont sit at the bar. Im perfectly happy drinking where I can pee - in the lake. Or on my surfboard behind the boat.

Jeff - damn.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-20-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
Those are the whitest legs... you guys are gonna get Billy all excited with that pic.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
The truth is Duffy took the picture!! Who in their "straight" mind would rush to take that picture? The look on his face is from watching your plow/wedge ripping off the back of your boat and fixin to hit him in the head. Duffy seriously though I DO love your girlfriend and my/her kids. She is hot... really.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Oh by the way Duffy, Congrats on winning the Gold in the Naked Leap Frog competition at Disney. You and Clay Aiken were unstoppable.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Now that's some funny S---!!
Old     (4hun)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-21-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Went to Daytona. We stayed 4 nights in The Ocean Walk Reasort. No boat. We ended up having a really good time though. I guess the beach is an "OK" change every once in a while. I cant wait until this weekend, back on the lake! I think we are going to the Suwannee this weekend. A couple people told my about this guy that owns some property on the river with a bunch of rope swings and zip lines. I guess it is a pretty good time. I think it is near Rock Bluff. Ever hear of it? I think we might try and check it out.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
Ive never heard of it, but it sounds cool.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-22-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
Shawn watch out for the jumping fish that knock people out on that river. And no, I am not kidding.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       08-22-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Wow duff....you pretty good with photoshop....
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-24-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I didnt want to embarrass you by showing you completely naked so I worked the speedo in.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       08-24-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Thanks...your helping my rep around here