Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    taustin24            09-24-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
JUST CURIOUS ON GETTING SOME FEED BACK ON WHICH BOAT I SHOULD BUY 06 ENZO OR 06 VLX. LETS JUST SAY THAT PRICE ISNT A FACTOR,BUT PERFORMANCE, WAKE SIZE,QUALITY, AND RESALE ARE. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINION ON THESE FACTORS THANKS!
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-24-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
is performance wakesize and quality and resale are important, than the choice is obvious, to me, malibu. With 4 optional ballast tanks, you can customise your wake to whatever you want, and the wedge adds in another X factor. but thats just my opinion, go sit in them and test drive them, and make your own choice. oh and stop YELLING.

Old    stillstandin            09-24-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
Those two boats shouldnt be compared. Go with the Bu.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
easy choice - Malibu.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
Totally predictable response!
You need to take both boats for a demo ride compare the wake the ride the dealer
And of course the price. In the end the only thing that matters is what you think!
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
Malibu is a much Better boat than Centuion and also a good resale.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-24-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
I unloaded a Centurion to get into my Bu. The reasons are so obvious once you drive and ride behind the VLX. Centurion continues to improve their boats, but IMO just can't get to Malibu's level, yet. Some people like the Enzo wake better, so you just have to try them both out and see for yourself. Don't just listen to the sales guy.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-24-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
Trevor,
Not a SALES PITCH... this is reality pure and simple APPLES TO APPLES NOT ORANGES !!!
MC is the BEST choice. BU DOES NOT have the best resale in the industry! It has the worst of the top 3. Do a comparison on NADA.com. Take a Malibu VLX and a Mastercraft X-2 or 2002 X-Star. Look at the average retail price (OPTIONED THE SAME). A BU equipped equitably to a MC will run you about 4-5K less than a MC. Now do your resale analysis. MasterCraft resale gives you back 25-30% on resale. With all that said ! Example: Buy a MasterCraft for $45000. Sell it in 5 years for $38000. The cost of your boat is $7000. Buy a BU for $41000 and sell it in 5 years for $31000 your true cost on the boat is $10000. You purchased a BETTER investment and saved $3000. These are not made up #s. You can do the research yourself. NADA does not lie. There is no black book on boats like cars. Lending instititions use NADA as a guide line to set up loan values.

Look at MasterCraft as a investment. Possibly look at your 2 dealers in Tenn to see if there are any left over X-2s or X-9's that they want to move. Pretty much all dealers have some discounted products to move with 2006 arriving and boat shows coming up. BU makes a good product no dought. MC makes a better one, APPLES TO APPLES. Good luck in your quest.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-24-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
i am biased, not going to hide it.

i have had no problems with malibu in the 2 years i've owned it(the original owner put 29 hrs on it in 4 years! so it was just about new)and feel they should be winning boat of the year everytime and everywhere. the new vlx is a testament to malibu's relentless commitment to re-design an already incredible boat.

the x-star/2/1 has had te same hull since 96. 96! in addition they, it's exactly the same as the slalom counterpart. malibu has specific hulls for boarding. *end of mc rant* p.s.mc makes a quality product, just a little behind the times.

centurion makes a cool boat, that's all i know. i don't think you can get the 8.1 anymore so that'll hinder it's performance, and that new tower is......special.

QUIT WRITING IN CAPS! IT'S LIKE YOUR SCREAMING!

(Message edited by madchild1 on September 24, 2005)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   

This stuff does get old.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2005, 1:22 AM Reply   
TJK, will you ever get your facts straight? Live in the present and compare new boats. I think that's what the guy is asking, not your opinion of what NADA guides say for boats that were produced 3 years prior. If you can find a 05 VLX selling for less than a 05 X-9 with similar equipment I'd be very surprised.

Kevin, this stuff gets real old!!

How about every one test drive the boats and pick the one YOU like best, forget other peoples opinions. They are probably not going to be driving the boat as much as you!!
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-25-2005, 5:39 AM Reply   
Machew and Kevin,
Guess what it is going to keep getting old as long as new products are being introduced and new buyers enter the market looking for both new and used boats. What have you guys offered the buyer Facts or opinions? You guys probably did'nt have any facts when you bought your first boat back in the day. Facts are facts ! Have you done the research and looked at the values yourself? Without the FACTS how do expect the buyer to make and informed decision? I only added some extra content for him to think about...it made you think a little bit did'nt it? He came here with a question and got the FEEDBACK requested. The facts still remain the same as of 2005 for products that have been produced. MC retains the highest RESALE in the industry. BU had some nice inovations. Would like to see possibly some of there ideas used. I also see ideas that they have FORCED to work. I don't need to get into the specfics. MC also has many leading ideas. All new graphics(can't wait to see those copied)New tower designs that are easy to fold, swivel board racks. Throttle by wire, standard speed control, All new X-2...have you seen this boat or driven it. Everyone better get ready for this one.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-25-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
TJK...
I am going to butt in here... you did in deed give facts, but if you go back to the question being asked where in heck did MC get asked about? This guy is not asking about MC so why would you offer your 'opinion' on the facts of MC resale. a little more understandable if you were comparing resale from centurion to malibu.

sorry to get off topic here... but that is my two cents... I opened the post myself to see opinions from other consumers comparing the two boats not to find out what resale is on a MC!
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-25-2005, 6:32 AM Reply   
BTW... i can not offer an opinion on either boat as I have not been in either one! But I am currently browsing centurions, because as soon as i sell my current boat that is what I am planning on buying!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
I have been around this game for a very long time! I was a MasterCraft barefoot promo guy for 10 years and know exactly how the game is played!
IS MastCraft still having the dealers and promo guys take the test so you can give all the facts as MasterCraft sees them?

Since those days I have opened my eyes considerably. MasterCraft Malibu and many other others build a quality product! The game has gotten much closer since back in the day when MasterCraft was the only all composite boat. Malibu has gotten ride of there butt hull and deck joint and gone to the superior shoe box joint. Centurion has developed the foamed ICS construction with reverse shoe box and improved the quality of there vinyl and fit an finish.

Can you still find things to complain about in Centurions sure. I bet I could do that on all the lines! That is why you need to go for demo rides and compare the boats. Then you can decide if the difference you find are worth your hard earned money!

Don't pay attention to XXXX brand is junk crowed they are simply Kool-aid drinkers! All of the boat lines have things to offer you you just have to decide if XXXX brand is for you!

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 25, 2005)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
I love this shiiiiiiaaaaat, just funny. So much more than just boat, dealer, dealer, and dealer. MC, MC, MC blah, blah talk about some goggles. How did you like the quality of those early 90's MC;s? No matter what boat you end up, do the research on the dealer. Also the regional popularity of your brand chosen much more than that NADA BS.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
If you're buying a new boat, the last thing you need to worry about is whether the hull is chopper gun or hand laid, if the stringers are wood or composite etc, etc. That is for somebody else to worry about in 2027.

Take each boat for a test drive and turn the knobs, feel the seats, open the hatches, wiggle the tower, listen to the stereo, observe the ease of steering/throttle, listen for engine noise, jump the wake, drive a double up......these are the important things.

It's not like this is the automotive industry, where Toyota is the benchmark of quality. These are boats, they are all built domestically, using the basically the same processes. You have a good chance of getting a lemon from ANY of the manufacturers.

Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
TJK Just keep your opinion to yourself.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
TJK - The I purchased a Moomba in 2001 - sold it earlier this year with 660 hours on it. Depreciation was 25% (what you said on the MC). I invested the difference ($15,000) and made $6000 on it. Your MC would have cost me $21000 more. You don't have all the facts. I have a new Centurion. The quality of the wake, interior, and overall performance is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Moomba or Centurion. MC continues to lead the way in overpricing the product.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
TJK, why do you hate on Malibu?
Any time someone want's an opinion on the VLX, or is talking about some other brand you some how twist it into a "why Malibu sucks session".
Old    stillstandin            09-25-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
I sold my 03 Ski Supreme for $1500.00 less than what I bought it for 3 years after I bought it. And that was a trade in. Dont go and buy something, just on the purpose of wha the resale might be. Buy what you like, and want. That being said, Ive been around a lot of MC's, to each is there own, I dont think there is anything overly special about them. Malibu is a nice boat, you would be very happy. If you decide on the Centurian, I'm sure you will have a blast behind that as well
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Trevor, go test drive each boat. Like most have said, each builder has a quality product. It comes down to YOUR taste and what you want. Just go drive them and compare. As for Mr. MC guy.. (aka) TJK, stop having intimate relations with your boat... no one cares...
Old     (grampsrider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
malibu bye far.enzo wake is nuthing to brag about
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-26-2005, 6:03 PM Reply   
I guess the whole purpose of this website is to bash MC Owners and their opinions. I offered clean and to the point facts...then get bashed. Why offer and opinion at all here. Claim something a little different, tell the truth and everyone gets defensive. There must be some truth in what I have said or it would not have ruffled some many feathers. Tried to offer the potetial buyer something else to think about then get flammed. So what if I like MC. No one ever said it is for everyone. Obviously not or others would not buy another product. Sorry to have pissed you guys off. I have not lied or put mistruths out there.
Maybe some of you think I am BRAIN WASHED...just think maybe its not all me. Look at yourself maybe just maybe you have been swayed away from looking a little closer at the truth. I never said BU SUCKS. Matter of fact I said they make a descent boat. MasterCraft just makes a better one. That is my opinion...take it or leave it.

Brett Better to have a intimate relationship with something vs nothing !
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-26-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
I think I will go with the leave it on your opinion.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-26-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
NADA is not the only thing to think about. when i was looking for a new boat i did really like the MC boats. but i spoke with four people that had bought from the local dealer and they all flammed the dealer. the sanger dealer was no better. i bought a malibu and one of the deciding factors was i could not find any one that flammed the dealer. if you can afford the boat and the dealer has a good reputation , then go for that dealer. you will be stuck with that dealer for a long time.
Old     (nautigirls)      Join Date: Dec 2000       09-26-2005, 8:27 PM Reply   
TJK
You seem a little paranoid. The intial post never even mentioned Mastercraft. So why are you posting on it? What's up! I like MC. I like Bu's. I like CC. I like all the boats. It all comes to personal preference.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
TJK, will you ever get it. Nobody rips MC like you rip Bu. Most people on this site give honest opinions based on experience and facts often furnished by unbiased sources. I am a little astonished about your "whoa is me" sounding response. You DO say things that are not true about Malibu and when some one with the knowledge challenges your lies you play the role of the martyr. Well JC is dead and you don't need to fill his shoes by provoking people with half truths and acting like you're getting flamed. Own up to the Sanger thread. Own up to the wedge thread! You often say things without all the facts and try to slam Bu with tall tales and conjecture.
Give it a rest. Hating other boats will not make you love your boat more.

Now that's the real truth!

Sorry about the jack everyone, especially Trevor.
Old     (kamakazeboy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2005, 11:15 PM Reply   
TJK I am a Malibu owner and I love my boat, but I also think Correct Craft, Mooba, MC, and other boats are great boat.
I also think you should leave from this thread like you said "take it or leave it" Right?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2005, 12:55 AM Reply   
that'd be funny if tjk was john dorton! bahahha! i'd laugh for months!

too bad it isn't.

seriously though, tjk needs to get the fook outta here. his comments are waaaaay outta place. i mean, last i checked the debate was between bu and cent.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
My boat is the best, yours is crap.
My daddy can beat up your daddy.

Boats are toys (and thus should be bought with disposable income), not investments. Most people expect some return on an investment, all boats lose value, ergo, they are very poor investments. TJK, put the crack pipe down and back away slowly.

As to the orginal question: Find the one that puts the bigger grin on your face. Make sure you try them out. Make sure you like the dealer and that they have a good reputaion.

I personally don't think much of dealers or individuals that need to malign other boats to make theirs shine.
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-27-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
Swab, Do your research before you post on wakeboard forums. After 5 years (2000 Models)The X-star was valued @29370.00 as the VLX was valued @ $30750.00. So much for Malibu having the worst resale of the top three. It appears that honor would belong to Mastercraft.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Who cares about the "book value" "trade in value" of a boat. You always get more if you sell it privately. The value you get for it privately will depend on how you take care of it. It all starts with how much you pay for it.

I have had two boats now... one was a company that disappeared for two years... I got more for it than I paid for it... but because it was a brand new company when I bought it... I asked them for a low ball price and I got it. I took really good care of it... full records and documentation.

The other, I basically got slightly less than what I paid for it. Again... looks like brand new... I am picky about the buyer... and I do my research before pricing it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
the centurion haters come out to play once again...

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-27-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
also im pretty sure the better comparison would be the vlx and the avalanche.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    taustin24            09-29-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
mike thanks true by size but, when it comes to fit and finish. the vlx is a little nicer than the avalanche because of the stitched dash, drop down ski pylon, etc. thats why im comparing the vlx and enzo. i guess i would have to say my most important issue is wake i havent seen the enzo wake but the dealer is telling me its comparable to the malibu wake thats why i want opinions from other boarders that have maybe ridin behind both thanks!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-29-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
both malibu and centurion are rampy wakes with a slight lip on them, which i genuinely like. The avalanche is the best factory wake imo, but doesnt get much bigger if you slam it. Never ridden an enzo or vlx so i should probably stop typing now......

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
OK-----MC owner here--------

Buy the Malibu.... As of right now, from what I understand (from very trusted friends and amazing riders), the new VLX wake is un-touchable with just the stock ballast and wedge. Argue all you want, but I wont even listen until you put the boats next to eachother with stock ballast only.

Sorry Centurion owners, but they just haven't shown the build quality that I personally demand. I don't mean that to say they are bad boats, but I think they are in a different class from 'Bu, MC and CC.

Now, as to my boat (X2) having a 10 year old hull design??? Weight that sucka down and you've got one of the very best wakes around...period....period, end of statement. MC lucked out with that waterskiing hull. That said, it takes a lot of weight to make it happen.