Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    jakeman            05-04-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
I just talked to Nick. He is in a great mood considering what happened(must be the drugs). He broke his tibula & fibula of his right leg throwing a S-bend and landing on a slider at the OWC friday trying to land a spot on the circuit. He said he was trying to get one last trick in b4 the turn and timed it wrong. He saw the slider after he came out of the S-bend and knew he was going to land on it. Imagine what was going through his mind. He wants to know if anyone has pics and/or video of the accident. He wants to see it. He will be in bed for the next 3 weeks.
so feel free to post them

late/jake
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
so he was doing an S-bend as his last trick and landed too far out so he hit one of the sliders on the side of the course? whoa
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yeah I heard about this from Craig Butinsky and Tom Conway. They said it was a terrible crash! I was hoping some one would post video. You know he came down with some speed when he hit that slider.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
Oh Man! I definitely feel your pain, Nick! Take care, get well soon. I'm currently in bed with a Tibial Plateau fracture and just had some new hardware added inside my leg. Daytime TV sucks. Make sure you let your friends visit as much as possible. It definitely helps the time pass.

Get well soon!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
Bill J or Maestro might. they were in the boat when this happened.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-04-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
his sbends are insane, its good to see he is finally getting coverage. he had 3 parts in the new WBM, everyone needs to watch out for this kid. he is insane and has some of the craziest spins around
Old    jakeman            05-05-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
David
quote from nick
"ya when I came out of the s-bend which turns into a raley half way through the trick I saw the slider and knew I was going to hit it but there wasn't anything I could do but wait to crash. I hit so hard that my foot went through my binding. I didn't even know I broke my leg; So I began to take my foot out of my binding and that is when I found out my leg was broke." He said it hurt so bad that he wished he was in shock! he
has pins in his leg /out for rest of year.

He wanted me to thank all the people who rushed to help him. He said everyone did an excellent job of getting to his rescue and rushing him to the hospital.

Christie
ya when I talked to Nick, one of the first things he said is how bad daytime tv sucked and how they repeated everything 3 times=LOL

I am really ticked-off this happened to Nick, he has been training so hard for the circuit.
He will be in bed for at least 3 weeks so he is going to start studying for his EMT/firefighter cert.
his pc's video card blew so he has no pc right now.
I am trying to build him a pc out of spare parts to give him something to do and/or give him my play station to pass the time

I guess no-one has any pics or video. I will take some pics of the aftermath and post early next week.
I have to run wakefest this weekend so I can't even go hang out w/ him until monday

Swass
I guess that mortal danger thing almost came true.
next time we need to pray harder

If anyone wants to send him any care packages let me know and I will make sure he gets them
email me and I will give you his po box #
jakeman@420EMPIRE.com

late/jake
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-05-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
I may have a pic of the trick, but not of the crash. After seeing it in person I don't think I'd ever want to watch the video - it was absolutely awful. No one in the boat was shooting video at the time either. I'm just glad that he wasn't more seriously injured. He really handled it well, helping us to help him when it was obvious that he was in a lot of pain.

Nick, good luck with your recovery and I hope to see you back out there competing!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-06-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
Get well soon, Nick and keep your head up - you'll be back.
Great shots in the June mag.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
Nick, get well soon. I was there last aug with a compound tib/fib so I know exactly what you are going through. I did get back on the water wakesurfing and wakeskating in dec, and then wakeboarding (and barefooting) again in late jan. I can almost run normally again. I've got the permanent titanium intermedullary rod in my tibia so that makes me bionic.
Old    jakeman            05-06-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
Tim
are you coming to Wakefest this weekend in st pete?

BillJ
are you still in town?

Barry says he has a pic of nick doing the s-bend when he hit the slider
he will post it ASAP
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
Jake,

I am up in IN currently on vacation. will be driving my mustang back to FL this weekend, as I accepted a job in the palm beach area. so no wakefest for me.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            05-09-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
Nick is doing great! He came out and made an appearance at wakefest this weekend..on saturday. His leg looks swolen, but he is getting around with cruthes. He couldnt stay out too long cuz of the sun and the meds everything tired him out..but he is such a great guy and has the most positive attitude!

Yeah, the 'time lapse' pix in the new issue of WB magazine are great! and he is in two (?) advertisements in there too..I couldnt tell it was him till he pointed them out to me! (but cracks just all look the same anymore!) LOL

we printed out everyones posts to him and took them over the other nite so he could read them..I know that makes injured/sick people feel better knowing that people are thinking about them!!

The way he is moving around, he'll be back in no time..no stinking broken leg is gonna keep this kid down! DETERMINATION!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-09-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
I'm glad to hear Nick is doing well. He is so lucky that it's just a broken leg, even though it's a serious break. I went thru my pics and didn't see any of him but I need to take a closer look.

Jakeman I'm back home in San Diego...
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
Yeah, that crash was gnarly as hell! Glad to hear he's doing ok - hope he can get back on a board soon enough!