Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-10-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
Ok, so I got an idea about a slider. Im thinking jordanelle is the perfect place for it. North cove about 3/4 the way down. Thier is more than enough places to pull it out of the water and stash it in the bushes or just beach it where no one will mess with it. Ive got a pretty cheap and easy way to build a floating one and anchor it using what is already up there.
Ryan since you live up there what do you think?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-11-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
Mike,
Great idea, the only problem is that because there's a lot of shoreline fisherman, campers, hikers and moutain bikers that travel around the Jordanelle, the slider would become a easy target. Besides, the moment the park rangers see us towing a slider into the park and dragging it into the water, we'll be busted.

DO you know the laws surrounding manmade objects being put on the water? Would they need to be removed from the water after every use? If so, it will become more of a pain in the ass.

Finally, as much fun as sliders are just remember that if you don't have a board sponsor that gives you free boards, you will be going through quite a few boards because sliders aren't friendly to them. So the slider maybe cheap, but buying a new board every month could get costly.

Just some thoughts. What do you all think?
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
if we tag it with our gang sign then no one will mess with it unless they are very stupid.

I will hit it with my old school shapiro, that thing is a tank and would never break.

lets go for it and see what happens.....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Jim,

What did Taylor ever do with the slider built on the Tige hull he had at the boat show a year ago?

E.J.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
ej

it is sitting in the backyard. i guess it still has some work that needs to be done. I dont if it will ever be used
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-11-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
Do you know what kind of work? Not that I would ever hit that thing, but I would drag it somewhere and watch others hit it.... Hell, I'd run the camera all day.

E.J.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
i will have to ask around, i think that thing was coops project before he left.
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-11-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Ok well here's the plan...I know for a fact there are some very large up to 20 foot logs that are like 2 feet thick floating in that lake "most of them are up against the dam now. Seems to me they would make a good platform base if we hooked a few of them together. We could anchor them in that cove near the end with some 5-gallon buckets full of cement. Now as far as the law is concerned we shouldn't be riding that close to the shore in that cove anyway. And it also says your suppose to be wake less or 150 ft away from any object. I’m sure the rangers would have already snagged us up if the so desired for those violations alone. Now there are some trees sticking out of the water at the end of that cove we could anchor it to them when not in use. That should keep the hikers off of it. As far as the fishermen are concerned "screw em" they work around every thing else. I don’t think they are wise to us like they are in other areas of the country. Now I’ve looked at the laws on manmade objects on the waterways in Utah and have not *yet* found anything in the Utah state criminal codebook for 2003 on the subject. Now you have to rember just about every thing is a crime of some sorts in this great state. We could get nailed for water pollution, public nusence negligent operation. It's just so undefined in the law books. I’m going to talk to the city lawyer if I can find him slithering around city hall. I don’t think the issue has been addressed in Utah yet. Mike
Old    sbvfive            05-11-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
This may be already known, but you guys should not let breaking boards scare you. I live in Orlando and hit rails at OWC and elswhere at least once a week year round, and I have used the same slider board for two years. As long as you slide the rails instead of crashing into them you will be OK. Also, I love the idea of building your rail out of those logs. Take video, it will look sick.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       05-11-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
Let's do it! I've been wanting to do something like that for a while. We may have better luck at Echo since it's private.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
You should do a sort of mortise and tenon thing. Anchor two logs next to each other toward the side of the cove and mortice some holes in the tops (maybe just use a large drill bit on a cordless drill). Then make a slider top to fit in the holes. Leave the logs there and people will just wonder why those logs always stay in the same place (attach your anchor lines to the bottoms). You could then stash your slider top in the bushes and anyone who finds it will just think it's a bunch of 2x4s and leave it alone.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-11-2004, 10:41 PM Reply   
Good ideas Salmon!

If you're all serious about doing this, just consider that with the water level rising, anchoring the slider could be a problem because most of the time they are anchored from below to weights at the bottom. Just keep the water depths in mind.

I just know that if we will be subjected to taking the slider in and out everytime it's used, it could be a pain in the ass. Just speaking from experience. It would be nice if there was a way to put in permanent anchors under water like slalom skiers do with a removeable bouy course. That way, you know where the anchors are and just have to dive about 5-8 feet below the water to attach the slider to the anchors.

Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-11-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
Oh, here's another idea: Make a permanently affixed slider but flip it over when you leave so you can only see the bottoms of the logs.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-12-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
The law is Utah with respect to anything is: it depends on how much fun it is. If it's too much fun, i.e. drinking, gambling, more than 1 wife, strip clubs near temples, riding motorized scooters in Ogden, it's against the law. Seriously though, it's not a bad idea to move it to Echo, you'll have less restrictions on a private lake.
I'm not yet up to slider ability, but I'll check it out when it's done
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-12-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
Brad, The laws in utah mimic california pretty close. Now the city ordinances are a diffrent story. Im a firm beliver if if you live in provo your constitutional rights are inhibited by the local religon. But thats just my thoughts and im sure the people that live there have a diffrent feeling on the subject.

Now to break the misconception of echo being a private lake. The east land around echo is owned by 4 very old lesibans but the water is owned and regulated by the state parks. I think our best bet is still jordanelle due to the fact thats where all the big ass logs are.

Salmon, thoes are some great ideas. I wonder how would we could keep the logs from just flipping over by wave action or wrose sliding it. Looks like it will be trial and error thing.

Jay, whats your scedule?