Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Not long ago i was out on Powell, instructing this 60+ year old guy. since he is being on the safe side and getting back in the boat early, i am able to go out and give some "demonstrations" and such. So i told him and the driver that i was gona "try this trick i saw in a magazine" they looked a little surprised and then i told the driver, "don't stop the boat if it looks like i am gona crash, at least not until i actually let go of the rope"

3 tries later i nailed my first "Crash, roll and get back up" trick... maybe there is a better name for it?, but everyone has got to try this out! there was a little article on it (alliance mag)... kind of a Shaun Murray instructional thing teaching jeff Mckee and another pro to do it.

I am willing to bet that most any intermediate rider and up can get this "trick" in their bag. just something to throw out there and surprise people OR even to use to save yourself from an actual crash... that is if you have it pretty consistent, which is my goal for the reminder of the season -> get it consistent enough to do whenever, even to TRULY SAVE myself

maybe there may be some who might categorize this "trick" as "a bare-foot maneuver" or some other thing to kinda down play it... but if you want to try it:
1. cut out real fast and hard on your heal-side edge so that your body is low to the water
2. fall over on your back (more on your leading side)
3. let go with your back hand (this may happen simultaneously with #2)
4. KEEP YOUR KNEES BENT so as to keep the board up. you Don't want to have the board catch an edge
5. Glide and spin 360 around on your back, handle pass above/around your head
6. get the board back underneath ya and stand back up! (note: you will stand up and resume the same stance as before the trick)

p.s. the resistance of gliding on the water on your back is not as much as you'd expect by the way.

maybe these instructions make it sound harder... or maybe they are not the best, especially since i just learned it myself. look-up a video or check alliance mag out for the article. that will be helpfull.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-30-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
hahah what did they say ?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
the people in the boat said that "my face looked more surprised then theirs."

when i succefully did it that third time i pumped my fist in the air a couple of times and was like "YES! YES! YEA!" ... i think i was a little over reactive maybe, but it really made my day.. no video of it though... memmory card filled up filming my student
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Isn't that called a tumble turn?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-30-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Proper name for that trick is a tumble turn
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Murray does that in one one the Hyperlite vids, really smooth.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-30-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
it would be a tumble turn if you were barefooting but since you're wakeboarding its going to need a new name like rollie or somethin
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-30-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
haha rollie sounds tight
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
listed as a Tumbleturn in the Int rule book.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
^^ yup
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-31-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
haha i tried it. i spun 360 on the water but couldnt get the board back on the water.. just kinda fell on my face when trying to get back up. but its pretty fun
Old     (kyle_neumann)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-31-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
yea. tumbleturns look sweet. always get my edges catching tho when i try it..
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-31-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
I found a video of some guy doing one on youtub.e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuIC7u1bx3g
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-31-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Here is a better one!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqq-RcOfVnQ
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-31-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
^^^ soo... since that is Jeff Mckee... would that board he is riding be a new slingshot? sneak peak there?
it is yellow and appears to have a different tip and tail design.

the vid says it was added only a week or so ago
------------------------------------------------

i was gona try and get mine on video today, but the weather turned horible and was raining and such. i swear i have the worst luck when it comes to catching stuff on video. the best video and shots of me seem to always be when others film it on their own cameras

(Message edited by wakerider111 on August 31, 2008)
Old    murrayair            09-01-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
Looks like fun! I'm definitely going to try that next time out.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-01-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
I had always thought tumble turns require magical Murray powers, but maybe I'll give it a tumble now.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-01-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
yeah i tried some the other day, thinking i was gonna dig in and eat complete sh*t. but to my suprise i actually got close, i just cant get it all the way around quite yet
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
tried to get it on video today, but conditions were not as smooth as i'd liked and i wasted my energy trying to be patient with the driver as i taught him more correct double-up etiquette. but at least the 65 yr old student of mine got one of by D-ups on a series photo shot, hope to see it tomorrow

ANYWAY... I am starting to realize how much core strength tumble turns require, especially at the end of your set. i almost stood back up on one... i am really hoping that one time was not a fluke ;(

Also, for those who tube, if you have ever tried a barrel roll on a tube... that is about how much resistance you are gona feel when you do this
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-01-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
the key is to keep the handle in close the whole time and go across your belly and pull it to the hip, don't let your arms get out. the first video shows it best.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-01-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
Shapiro use to do them in his Sea Doo expression session runs on the tour back in the mid 90's.