Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
anybody have a good idea for a reserve gas tank on the boat? I have never run out, but my gauge fluctuates so much I never really know how much is in there (bounces 1/4 tank regularly). 2003 Supra Launch btw. I was just thinkin it would be nice to have reserve tank just in case (also triggered by the idea that we are boating on a river this coming weekend ) I don't think running out of gas on river would be a great experience...
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-06-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
took me one time of running the boat pass E, to learn to always have a fuel reserve with me. what kind of space do you have in your boat when youre out riding??
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2011, 10:59 PM Reply   
supra launch has pretty limited space. I rarely use the space under the bow besides where my sac goes, but it has a pretty narrow height...I would guess 4" tall. I was looking at my 2 gallon portable tank at home and was figuring I could store that somewhere, maybe just take up a little space in my back compartment, but I wouldn't assume storing a gas can on board would be a smart idea. Unless I could vent it somehow. I know 2 gal isn't much, but I am usually pretty aware of what my gauge is reading so when it gets low I ride closer to the launch...
Old     (vr6mole)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2011, 4:23 AM Reply   
this might sound dumb but why not just top off the boat with every outing?

Super easy if you trailer the boat..just stop at a gas station on the way?

We keep ours at a marina and always bring 1 or 2 gas buddys (12 or 24 gallons) with us based on the previous use on the boat.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-07-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
Fill the ballast tanks with gas.

Seriously though depending on your fuel pump design it can be hard on it to let it get that low/run dry. If it's an in tank pump the fuel keeps it cool to some extent. When it gets that low the pump becomes air cooled which isn't as efficient. It can also hurt it to pump air regularly. Both of these factors can lead to premature failure if they occur regularly.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
@ Matt that is usually what I do. I just run by the pump before I launch. But my tank is relatively small, so if we are planning an all day boat trip sometimes it might be nice to have a spare. One time we launched at 9 am and by 4 I didn't feel comfortable towing anymore based on what my gauge said so we went back to the dock, loaded onto the trailer, went got gas, and came back. Next time I know I need to just have some extra tanks in the truck. But I "think" I probably still had a couple of hours left in the tank, but didn't want to chance it and be stranded. That's all. Like I said, its never happened. Maybe I just need a new gas gauge...
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-07-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
If I even think I will use all my fuel, I will carry a 5 gal gas can in my rear locker and a siphon tube to prevent spillage. I ran out once and learned on my gauge when I need to head back BUT there are those long river runs 2x yr, I keep a full 5 gal can.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-07-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Sam ingram showed me these http://www.rotopax.com/ pretty expensive gas cans but can conform to your ski lockers, under observers seat etc.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6mole View Post
this might sound dumb but why not just top off the boat with every outing?

Super easy if you trailer the boat..just stop at a gas station on the way?
Not always that easy. I live a 4 minute drive to the boat ramp. I don't pass any gas stations, and would have to drive several minutes in the opposite direction in order to fill up. Makes it a pain to fuel up the boat.