Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-17-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
When we wakesurf, the wakeboarders stop and watch. When they come over to us, it's to ask how it works, not to complain about the water quality.

Having done both for years, I think wakesurfing takes considerably more talent to do right than wakeboarding does. With wakeboarding all you need is the guts and the flashy, bone-crushing tricks just happen automatically due to the forces at play. "Look this way", "pull on the rope like that", and bingo, you're flipping and spinning and hoping you don't break something. Technique is simly a matter of doing what someone told you to do. Not so with wakesurfing. It's more like real surfing in small waves (the most challenging conditions in my opinion). You need balance, judgement, talent, and a little bit of magic to make things happen. It's not something you can learn very well by reading "trick tips" online, or by having your friend tell you to "stand tall", "load the line", "keep the rope in" and "look over your left shoulder"...

Whenever we take newbies, they want to try both, but it's only wakeboarding that they're able to do. That's a no brainer. I have yet to teach anybody, not even some of the ex-competitive real surfers that I grew up with, how to wakesurf by the end of one day, but newbies are usually up on the wakeboard by the 2nd or 3rd attempt. In fact, I had one guy doing 180s on the wakeboard on his first day out...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-17-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
WOW TIM, I think you may be in the wrong Forum....

If that is all you think wakeboarding is your, well...........forget it.

WOW-
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-17-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
surfing is like tubing, any pussy can do it
Old     (bigjoe5412)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
on my boat the rule is you only surf if its too rough/you're too drunk to wakeboard.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Tim that post was very entertaining, thanks for the good laugh!

Surfing loses its novelty once you learn to ride without the rope, which is learned after about 2 times out. I'll stick to tugging on my wake rope and looking over shoulders hoping I land on my feet...
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-17-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
Makes me feel sad to see how quickly you guys condemn and segregate your fellow enthusiast.The bitching however doesn't offend me so much because I bitch at least thirty minutes of my day,mostly about jetskis but still the same.
Biggest problem I see is the easy low impact of surfing has attracted a large croud of douchebags that can't handle wakeboarding or skating and naturaly gravitate to surfing.These people are not a fair example of wakesurfing and insulting the sport by saying (surfings for people who can't board) or (friends don't let friends wakesurf) is offensive to the true wakesurfers.It is a serious difficult sport that demands skill,tallent and should be shown more respect.

(Message edited by formfunction on July 17, 2009)
Old     (that_nate_kid)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Andy,
did you really quote RATM in reference to dealing with stupid people on the lake? I do agree though. The only time you should be surfing on butter is if you are running a night surf session. *and unless you are on a low patroled or well known lake this is not a good idea. Just remember, there are always going to be people screwing up the water, jet skis, tubers, surfers, and once in a while you just have to convey your thoughts directly to them. Take it easy.

Anhorn
Old     (somebodyelse5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-21-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
thats kinda harsh to bag surfing like that. im all about respect and all at the lake, but i appologize for my monster rollers?
I cannot wakeboard anymore, not by choice, im 18 and already broke my back....no mas wakeboarding for me...so i surf, thats all i got. so i cant get on the water and enjoy some smooth water? (yea you can tell when your surfin)

It hurts to here this. i aalways thought wakeboarders and wakesurfers were one in the same?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
For the most part we are Joey. I wakesurf more than I wakeboard these days but still enjoy both and have many friends that don't wakesurf at all but have no problem with it. It's really just a few people who feel they're entitled to something others aren't.

edit: and keep it up. It's sick that you're not letting it deter your thirst for life. Most people would have given up

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 21, 2009)
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2009, 5:58 AM Reply   
Wakesurfing is a bad epidemic like a couch potato and obesity "Bake's Marine in Sammamish, WA sold more wakesurfers than wakeboards last year"
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
Oh No,poor little innocent wakeboarders having to deal with someone tearing up the water.How dare those wakesurfers with there big wakes.
Crying wolf is what you guys are doing.
Old     (coz)      Join Date: May 2008       07-22-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
[QOUTE=Keith] can't get into it either. I surfed and grew up in Hawaii (rocky point, backdoors, pipes, Sunset, Alligator Rocks, Waimea point, Chuns, Left Overs, Log Cabins, V-lands) and the occasional South breaks. Now that I moved to Arizona and miss my surf time, I tried it behind the boat last year and hated it. It was so boring. Now that I wake up and have the boat on the lake about 20 minutes before sunrise, I see some surfing already in the glass water and it KILLS me. What's really great is when the wakesurfer falls and they power turn haul a$$ back to go pick them up. WTF! Stay in the open areas!!
But hey, I guess everyone feels they disserve good water. I'm just speaking out loud here.
[QOUTE=Keith]

Yo Keith! what's up bra! wanna meet up at Sag for some surfing sunday? NOT!!! but we will be there for some wakeboarding You gonna be there?

I think I'll go over to TT and talk about Malibus, wanna join me? yesterdays tower thread was fun
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Tim(monkey): I vote you for idiot post of the year. One of the dumbest things I've heard in a while.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-22-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ugggg This thread is still Going...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
yea...way to go Andy...
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Heh - If you really didn't want it to be you wouldn't have sent it back to the top.

(Im only posting this because its already AT the top ;))
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Maybe this thread will break 500 posts