Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
I sold my 05 MB B52 Team Edition with a PCM 330 motor last Oct 07. When I sold it it had right around 100 hrs on it. I was very anal and always serviced it and checked the engine oil before each outing.( I was told by the dealer that PCM motors only need the oil changed every 250 hours. I got it changed the beginning of each season.) The guy I sold it to has only put about 20-30 hours on it. He took it in to get serviced and they told him it had a "rod Knock." and he needs a new motor. He is also very anal and checked the oil before each outing. He called MB and they told him to call PCM who told him to call MB. Both told him it was out or warranty and not their problem. The selling dealing is no help what so ever. Not going to name bash but is located in Central Cali near Lake Naci. The motor is 11 months out of warranty. Is it just me or should MB or PCM "Step Up" and help a brother out. Why buy an MB or a boat with a PCM motor if your only going to get 130 hours before you need a new motor. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their PCM motor or MB? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Wadd$
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-05-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
Never had the problem. Still sucks.

In case the guy who bought your boat is pretty handy with engines & tools, and he decides he doesn't want to rebuild yet, this might be worth a look..... several years ago I had an engine in a car go south on me, same problem, a rod knock. Turned out to be a bad oil pump, or the pickup in the oil pan. Their not very expensive & it was pretty easy to replace in a car (unfortunately your problem is in a boat). While I was in there I pulled the rod bearing caps to see if the bearings had any damage. Sure enough, almost all fo them were toast, but they were all in one piece, no damage to the rod itself or the crank. So I replaced them all. Bolted it all back together & that engine has a ton more hours on it now days. Total cost about $200 & about 4 hours work.

Good luck getting it all worked out.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on August 05, 2008)
Old     (da_bomber)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-05-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
John,

do you live in an area which gets cold? freezing temperature it only takes one freezing night or day and wham!!! your in trouble. So my question to you is you sold it in October right before winter! Did he have the Boat winterized? Honestly do you know? PCM motors are exceptional so i think it may be owner fault for not taking safety precautions. and for needing a new motor this is not true, it can be fixed way cheaper than buying a new motor
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
It has always been garaged by me and the new owner. He is going to get a second opinion.
Wadd$
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-05-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
"I was told by the dealer that PCM motors only need the oil changed every 250 hours."
WRONG, You change the oil on a PCM motor every 50hrs not 250 hrs, hope that was a typo.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
my thoughts also.

my oil get's pretty nasty looking at around 40 hrs. i cannot imagine what it would look like at 250 hrs.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
That sucks... but its part of life. There are not many comapanies out there who will extend the warranty just cause something freak happened. I doubt any company would "step up" and pay for something that they don't have to.

Sorry. Sounds a little unrealistic to me.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
I had the impeller changed each season along with an oil change. The dealer told me that I was wasting my money by getting the oil changed and that it only needs to be changed every 250 hours. No Typo. I got it changed anyway for my piece of mind. They also said that the PCM 330 burns through a quart of oil every 8 hours.
Wadd4
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-05-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Sounds like you need a new dealer, not a new engine.

250 hours between oil change...........

1qt of oil in every 8 hrs.............
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I guess if your engine holds 5 quarts of oil and burns 1 quart every 8 hours, then the engine would be out of oil at 40 hours.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-05-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Well I would never go back to that dealer again.
Get on the PCM website they have an owners manual for that motor and its says to change the oil every 50 hrs.
http://www.pcmengines.com/
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2008, 12:13 AM Reply   
Even if you were told 250 hrs, you said the boat was serviced every season. 100 hrs is nothing. He can have a dealer do a computer diagnostic check. This will show the entire history of the engine and how hard it was run. Short of this, he should get a second or 3rd opinion. Remember, the same bozos that told you 250 on the oil change are telling him "new engine"????
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2008, 12:17 AM Reply   
Is this Arnold's friend Dave Draper?
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2008, 12:29 AM Reply   
Ha ha no (he stole my name) but thanks for remembering The Blond Bomber. That's some old old school but he's still at it.
Old     (liv2brd)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2008, 12:32 AM Reply   
Ha ha no (he stole my name) but thanks for remembering The Blond Bomber. That's some old old school but he's still at it.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2008, 1:11 AM Reply   
Rad! The blond bomber ruled
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
The new owner said the boat was running killer. He had it out the day before he dropped it off and it ran fine no noise or problems. After the dealer had the boat for 2 weeks, that seems like a long time to get serviced, they called him and told him he needed a new motor? Sounds strange to me. I would like to thank MB for giving me some information.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Dude, if it burns a qt every 8 hrs, they are prob right. You only need to change the oil every 250 hrs, since they old oil is being burnt up. You are basicly changing your oil every 40 hrs. I am kidding ps, your dealer rep is an idiot...