Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
So yesterday afternoon, while practicing for Nationals I landed in the trough while doing a hoochie and sprained my right knee, but am looking to know what exactly I sprained. I know that I hyperextended it slightly, but may have done something else. Here are my symptoms:

1. Tenderness on the outer area of my knee (LCL)
2. Sore when extending knee fully; flat on the ground or in the air
3. Some instability when my femur moves toward the outer are of my knee, while lower leg remains planted.
4. If I have leg on my ottoman of the couch while resting on the inside of my foot, I can make my knee "slide" downward.
5. If my lower leg is planted, and I rotate my upper body outward, there is some instability in the knee. It wants to "slip".

I'm not new to knee injuries since I've had my ACL and meniscus fixed several years ago, but am needing a quick fix (if possible) for Nationals next week.

Any and all suggestions, and opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
sounds like acl...ive had mine done twice and sounds like similar experiences
Old     (Sean)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
yep acl, Done it twice, Sounds like you may have jsut strained it though, I snapped both of mine. when it happened the pain was a "10" for a good five min. Quick Fix, CTI
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Sounds like ACL to me. First one was a 0 and the second time was a 10. But both had the same symptoms the next day.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's kinda what I think as well. I had my ACL done in my left knee, but never the right. What is weird though is that I have a lot of tenderness on the outside of my knee, not the inside, and I can put plenty of weight on it and can squat down with no problems. Once in a while though while walking it will remind me that it's there. I just have to be careful not to fully extend when taking steps. Weird.
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-09-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
I had my ACL in the right.. did it go blue and bruise?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
what does this mean for next week?
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-09-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
anyone know what the recovery is for acl and meniscus? like how long i will be on crutches for and how long i will be off the water?

i blew my left knee out three years ago but it was the entire knee including the patella tendon. only thing that didn't tear was the LCL. but this time i was only my ACL and meniscus in my right knee.... what kind of time do i have?
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Bbr: The instability in knee extension sounds like ACL, but the rotational instability can be ACL, meniscus, or both. I am suprised you can squat down easily if it is a full ACL tear, so it might just be a partial tear. The pain on the lateral side is probably meniscus if it is on the joint line, and can also be tibial bone bruise that is common with hyperextension injuries. I would suggest an MRI before riding heavy on it.

Adamsilcio: The normal recovery time for ACL/Meniscus back to full sports is 4-6 months...you should absolutely do plyometric training before returning to wakeboarding hard. Your muscles need co-contraction and quick reflex training before starting the bigger stuff. Talk to your PT and let them know what sport you will be returning to and what is involved. Non-athletes or non-impact athletes dont always get the plyo training at the end because it is not as relevant.

I tore my ACL and both meniscus, and will be having surgery in a month. I had also planned on competing womens masters this year, so I feel your pain!
Good luck guys!!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
It didn't swell or bruise at all so it's not fully torn. I'm thinking just a partial tear or a fray of some kind. Yeah the tenderness is at the joint line, so maybe its a bruise on the bone. I hope it's not my ACL, cause I need two more good runs before anything more happens.

Allen don't worry man, I'm comin at Nationals full force. I'm just gonna take it easy on Tuesday, and not do anything in the flats. Nothing but wake to wake for me.....until my contest run that is.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-09-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
good luck homie. hopefully it is nothing too bad. hope your passes go well next week. stand them up, and you should win.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Trigo, I'm heading to Reno with a purpose. And I'm not too worried about the knee at this sec. I'm walking just fine; I just have to be mindful of how long of a step I take with my right leg, and not to twist it too hard. Icing like a mad man, and sucking down the motrin. I'll be good.

How's the baby?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-09-2010, 11:27 PM Reply   
sack up ! you big pussy!!!!! I don't want to hear no excuses, you're riding great! All this work is going to pay off, just don't let it get in your head!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-10-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
ahh chuck. such a classic "big brother" response. I miss you guys!!