Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-07-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
Looking for some opinions here. I have a Lexus GX470 and a Tige 24ve. Think the GX can tow it safely for 2 plus hours? The GX is rated for 6500 pounds. The Tige weighs 4320 dry without trailer. I have an ez loader trailer that must weigh around 1500. That puts me at 5820. Thoughts???
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
Doesn't sound like you'd have any problems. Particularly if you aren't getting into the hills.
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-07-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
One main point I got told when looking for a tow pig for our 22Ve was look at the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). GCWR is the total weight of vehicle, boat, and trailer loaded up and ready to drive down the road (including people). I spoke to both my insurance reps (car and boat) and was told the same thing by both of them. If I exceeded this rating and were in an accident (circumstances being my fault) they could possibly deny any claim since it could be considered negligence.

You will probably get a ton of opinions on this topic. Do your research, drive safe, and within your limits.
Old    SamIngram            06-07-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Well if it was me, I would say no... you are 5820 so far with a full tank ad another three hundred pounds, plus gear, passengers, etc... and you are quickly approaching them max load rating...
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
^2
Add gear, fuel and everything else you are going to be pushing that 6500# The little things really add up. The GX will pull it with out any problems, might be working it to the max if you where up in the mountains towing. Johnny does have a good point then I guess it's how good do you think your attorney is.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Are you planning on doing this for 1 trip or all of the time? If it is all of the time, I would say get something with a higher tow rating because you will be at 6,500lbs fully loaded. EZ Loader had to swap the tongues out on their trailers for the Tige's because they were putting on 6k lb tongues and realized that these things are exceeding that when fully loaded. If you are just doing 1 trip, I think you will be just fine. I used to tow my RZ2 with my Avalanche and then upgraded to a diesel after I killed the tranny in it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-07-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
the biggest problem towing is stopping what you are towing.i would want to know if i had surge or electric brakes on one axle or both. then i would imagine the lexus has 4 wheel disc brakes. are you towing in the mountains. if you go slow and it's only one trip you should be okay. good luck!
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-08-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
Not towing all the time. It gets towed very rarely. The trip is a little over 2 hours from Kansas City to Lake of the Ozarks. We towed it down to Table Rock last weekend with my brothers 2500 Chevy diesel. His truck actually got hot on the way home and we had to stop for a few minutes to let it calm down. Of course he was driving 70 plus for 3 hours straight.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
My wife has a gx470 and we towed our SANTE 230 with it a few times. It didn't like it, but it worked. It's really and issue of maintaining speed going up hills. I felt like it stopped fine and didn't get pushed all over the road or anything.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-08-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I believe it's the same frame and motor as the Tundra. You should be just fine.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I think you'll be just fine then. If you were towing it 2 hours each way every weekend I would consider an upgrade but 1 trip here or there, I would do it. I was also thinking that you had the Illusion trailer by EZ Loader but I saw the pic of your setup and I that trailer weighs less than the illusion so you are probably in the 6,200 lb range rather than the 6,500 range, 300 lbs is 300 lbs!
Old    aredub            06-08-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
The GX is based off of the 4 Runner, it has a pretty short wheel base. I had one, but never towed our 24V with it. I was told that extended braking would be tough on the little GX. Good luck.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Yup GX is based of the 4 Runner not the Tundra. The Sequoia is the truck frame. Like others have mentioned. If yuo plan on making more than a couple trips a year it is time to upgrade for sure to a bigger tow vehicle. The tow rating isn't just the boat and trailer. It includes all the bodies in the truck, all the luggage, all the gas in both the vehicle and the boat, and whatever other gear IE wakeboards bilkes, tents, food. You are def pushing the limits if you break out a calculator and go to town and start adding up the little things.

Also the Lexus gearings and engines aren't exaclt geared for towing. They are more performance driven. That also adds to the lack of pure umfff. Their tranny's won't compete against a good solid tow vehicle on a regular basis. The LX470 would also be pushing the limits. I have towed with one on a regular basis for a while. Doesn't even come close to my Yukon.

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-12-2010 at 4:52 PM.