Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-23-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
where in the cable corner's do you get the momentum to do air tricks? I'm left foot forward and the cable runs counter clockwise (wake nation) so i don't get the same pull as a right foot forward rider would in the corners. I'm not sure if iam explain my self right but any input would help.

also if anybody lives around the Cincinnati area or goes to wake nation im looking for some people to ride with...
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-23-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
The best place for you to do an air trick will be right off the dock. As soon as you come off the dock start a progressive edge and build up as much tension as you can. When you pass under the cable flick your lower body behind you, releasing off the tail of the board. Make sure you do not try to ollie. Once you figure it out this way, you will feel more comfortable coming around a corner wide and then setting the edge in. Good luck!
Old     (wakenation)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-23-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Hey Jordon, next time you are at Wake Nation, talk to one of our employees about doing air tricks. Any of our guys would be happy to give you a play by play on what to do. See you there.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-24-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
You can do airticks to the inside( island side) as well, so you can cut out on your heels.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-25-2010, 4:36 AM Reply   
sounds like tampa
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-25-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
If you're going to try an air trick right off the dock make sure the ball sets into the carrier or you'll get ejected.

You're at an advantage being left foot forward. Air tricks are harder to do to the inside than the outside, so once you start trying switch air tricks it will be to the outside and easier to learn.

Also, I think with the right technique you can go just as big to the inside as you can to the outside.
Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-26-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
How long/much tension do you need in the line before scoping my foot under me. these post are helpful keep them coming.

Andrew - i understand what your saying..i can carve in and almost be on my back going under the line, but i can never really feel "Im guessing" the tension where you let the cable pick you up...does that make any sense lol.

Peter - i asked the operator one time on advice but i really didn't get a chance to really try, due to weekend popularity haha..the operator was helpful tho.

Jeff - im just use to seeing switch riders going right foot forward and doing them in the corners or (away from the island).

Ben - hahah yea i tried a dock start railey once and learn my lesson, but i can stand up dock start, just not a big air trick off it. I will work on my technique next summer when i get back on the cable.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-26-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
I'm no pro at air tricks, but this is how I thought about them. You can do an air trick anywhere, but people do them near the corners because the cable is tighter there (and it won't sway the cable as much). I try to drop into an edge as quickly as possible and load most of the weight on my front foot and then when I feel I've almost stopped myself and I can't edge any harder, I release the weight out the tail and let my edge continue into the air. Also, if you can keep the line close to your waist, you'll go bigger. I learned raleys first, but a lot of people will also learn backrolls and roll to reverts first.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-26-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Yea that does make sense, I remember having the same feeling while learning... It is kinda of a blind faith type of thing, it almost doesn't seem possible until you actually do it. I recommend throwing it off of a wake skate to get past that initial fear. You will want to use the same technique that I described above and focus on shooting the skate out behind you and to the left. At the top of the raley, push down on the handle and make sure you land with your feet together- so you don't get racked. Once you do 2 or 3 off of the skate you will feel much more confident with the board on. Always commit to it 100%, edge hard and flick hard!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-27-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
havent trotted this out for a while, its for right foot forward but you can still apply the same principles.

Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-27-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
In some of the ones on that video, you can see the rider kinda dips the nose before releasing the edge. They start out with a normal edge and then dip the nose holding that same edge and release it. Also since your regular, you'll make a C-path instead of the S-path.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-28-2010, 12:36 AM Reply   
yeh inside cable, it will be a c type path, swing wide around the corner then set your edge progressively, make sure you edge pretty far inside the cable if its for a raley. The easier option I think is to learn the inside roll 2 revert first, crashes are way less painful and you will get to learn the scoop motion which you can then transition into the raley when you are comfortable
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-28-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle25 View Post
How long/much tension do you need in the line before scoping my foot under me. these post are helpful keep them coming.

Andrew - i understand what your saying..i can carve in and almost be on my back going under the line, but i can never really feel "Im guessing" the tension where you let the cable pick you up...does that make any sense lol.
Lot of good advice in here and stuff I didn't know. I've been doing roll and rolls 2 revert on the cable for years now. Been mental blocked against trying a raley.

But to answer your question, you don't actually need hardly any tension on the cable before throwing a roll. And you don't need to feel any tension building up. You aren't going to throw any big trick that way but you can throw a roll or r2r with very little tension before initiating the trick.

That's because you can create the tension while throwing the trick instead of building it up in the cut. It's hard to initially judge the tension while edging because the faster you go the harder it is to keep an edge. So you end up not knowing when to throw it.

With a roll you can edge out gently then lay into it with all your weight while hooking the board away from the cable. The water will grab the board, pull tension on the cable, then the board will be thrown into the air. It's like going from 50% to 110% in an instant motion. This is not good technique, but it allows you to throw the trick without having to use much judgement.

Looking over your shoulder, just like any roll will create the motion and the trick will throw itself. The most important thing to keep in mind when you first throw this trick is concentrate on a death grip on the handle. When the cable yanks you out of the water you will likely lose a hand on the handle and get laid out sideways if you don't.
Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-29-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
I thinking im getting what i need to do now...i guess in the end its just like any other trick, just gotta keep at it until it happens..thanks for the info tho WW.