Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (w_e)      Join Date: May 2009       08-25-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
So... I've never owned a boat until this year. I bought a used boat at the beginning of the summer (May).
Since then, I have had to (not by choice):
Replace 3 tires (after one blew on the freeway and the other two had slow leaks)
Re-wire the electrical connections on the trailer
Replace 2 lights on the trailer
Replace the broken/non-working safety chains
Replace the ENGINE
Replace 2 leaking water pumps
Replace a leaking fuel pump
Fix a guide pole on the trailer
Replace 2 bolts on the tower
Repair/replace bolts that were not adequately holding interior seats and sides in place
Repair the prop (this one was caused by my wife)

I also didn't fully appreciate my towing vehicle choice (2004 Toyota 4Runner), which was only rated at 5,000 lbs., so I had to upgrade to a Suburban.

Almost ready to throw my hands up in frustration! People often say that boats are money pits, but this is almost a black hole!!!

I was originally planning on buying a bimini and a backup prop, but after all this happened, I've had to move those to a "next year" purchase.

Now for the CURRENT issue:

I just recently noticed that I can't turn as hard to my right as I can to my left (still working on the boat jargon). Any ideas that won't involve a second mortgage on my house?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       08-25-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Umm... did you notice any of that when you bought the boat? Sounds like doing a restoration, which would have been obvious before you bought it...

Why was the engine replaced??? /The rest of that stuff is maintenance that was due. But the engine shouldn't need to be replaced... I understand your frustration, but weren't most of the repairs obvious when you bought?

I would guess steering cable not mounted in the right spot on your rudder. Could be as easy as moving the cable on the rudder arm to a different spot, or could mean replacing the cable for (go ahead and sit down for this) $300.

AT this point, unless the boat won't run in a straight line, i'd put some hours on the boat and try enjoy the rest of the summer. Bump the steering issue to a winter job as well.
Old     (w_e)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
When I bought the boat, I had no idea that the engine had been rebuilt. Apparently, the company that did the rebuild did not do a very good job, and there was not enough clearance for the pistons to get the right amount of oil, so some bearings wore out earlier than they should have, and I threw a rod. When the engine blew, it caused most of the other problems, as well (according to the place that repaired most of that stuff). Without a full engine tear-down, there is no way I could have known about the engine problem.

The tires looked okay when I bought it, but I imagined that I might need to replace them at the beginning (or possibly the end) of next season.

The safety chains (they were the steel cable kind) looked adequate when I bought it, but one day I gave them a good tug, I ended up with it in my hand... they had rusted at the bolt point inside the tongue of the trailer (where, stupid me, I had not looked previously; as I said, this is my first boat).
Old     (w_e)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
To clarify... my boat does run in a straight line.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
The engine problems are about the only one you described that I'd be upset with. Clearly thats a problem with the company. Everything else is older boat issues.

As I recall the Maristars had that steering issue from the factory. Obviously I haven't driven your boat (recently) so I can't tell you what is normal & what is not. But I believe the other Maristars I drove were stiffer going one way than the other. Had to do with the position of the rudder & how much prop wash was hitting each side of it in a turn.

That said there are typically zerts you can grease under the dash in the steering rack, and back by the rudder.
Old     (w_e)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a zert, how do I find one, and how would I go about greasing it? From what I understand, it is a friction point of some sort?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004       08-26-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Grease zerk - looks like a little nipple with a tiny steel ball in the center. Look at your wheel hubs, they might have buddy bearings. If you see a nipple in the center of the hub, thats a grease zerk. Def a couple back by the rudder, on the inside of the boat, under the engine.

Fill 'em with a "grease gun". Go to Napa/local auto parts and buy a grease gun and grease.
Old     (w_e)      Join Date: May 2009       08-26-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for your help! I'll give it the good 'ol college try.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
Sorry, I've heard'em called zerts & zerks.... either way, like Nacho said, it's a grease fitting like on a Bearing Buddy or your truck's steering or driveline. Ask one of the guys at your local Napa.

Upload