Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-15-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
We were riding 3.5 wks ago on a Thusday and I took a nasty fall. Knocked a little silly with a minor concussion but aside from being extra tired for the next couple days, I felt alright. Then, rode on Sunday and I had major pain in my ribs. Ended up in the hospital at about 5 am Monday morning as they really hurt and I couldn't sleep. No fractures on xray but doc warned that they would get worse before better. They didn't so I assume the damage was actually done on the hard crash on Thursday but I didn't even notice with my head taking the more noticeable hit. For the record, only minor blotted bruising showed through on the outside for 2-3 days.

Throughout the days now I feel mostly normal just the odd thing will tweak them a bit and cause soreness but not lasting soreness. Sleeping on the other hand is where I feel it. Still wake up multiple times through the night and they are sore in the morning until I get mobile...then they feel alright again.

Has anyone here had experience with rib injuries? After the majority of the pain is gone (it no longer hurts when i laugh or breathe...a little when I sneeze...day to day is ok but night hurts) have you ridden without ill effects? I want to let this heal properly but by the sounds of it the night pain and little nuances hang around for well over our whole northern season.

Thinking of at least getting behind the boat and feeling it out tomorrow. Three weeks ago when I rode it hurt even just riding out in the flats and getting up. If that persists I'll stop immediately but I also fear a more abrupt landing from xxxx might put me back at square one.

any experience with this??
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
Rib injuries will last a long time. After awhile.. you just deal with it. Then, one day its gone.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-15-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
by 'you just deal with it' do you mean you just ride? I do feel I have given them a very good break as I've been off work and haven't ridden for 3 weeks. They hurt at times but they are feeling way better.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-15-2010, 11:50 PM Reply   
What vest were you wearing? Was is a comp or a CGA?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-16-2010, 1:39 AM Reply   
I can relate. Last Tuesday evening we went out for a session and caught an edge when I landed a wake to wake and got slammed. I landed chest/head first (slightly more so on my left side) and got my bell rung. When I hit the water with my chest I saw my heels come over my head so I basically got folded over the way my spine was not meant to go. Got the wind partially knocked out of me and I saw bright spots in my vision for maybe 5-10 seconds. I was done for the day. That night was pretty uncomfortable but 2 days later was much worse. I broke two ribs two years ago and that didn't hurt this much. Have to sleep on my back and in the morning it's worse as things probably tighten up at night. Got 4 xrays done this past Thursday and nothing broken. Doctore said I probably hyper extended/pulled some muscles along my ribs. I did not have any skin discoloration relating to any bruising. Doctor also prescribed my Naproxyn 500mg and it helps. I was wearing a Jet Pilot CG approved vest, no helmet.
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       05-16-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
I just got out of the ER last night due to this. Nothing broken either but severe bruising. They had to give me a CT Scan because they were worried about internal injuries. I am in a lot of pain, basically can't move. I was wearing a wetsuit and a Jet Pilot OG NCGA vest.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-16-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
didn't have a vest, npx lucifer drysuit.

In terms of internal injuries I have had a scare but the hospital seems to think it is a coincidence. Since the crash, I've had 3 NASTY attacks. Gall stones are common in my family and speaking with my dad, he says it sounds exactly like his attacks before he had his gallbladder removed. If it is stones, I'm sure the crash didn't cause them but the timing is just weird. Contrary to popular belief, a shot of morphine in each hip is not all that much fun.
Old     (epicwinnipeg)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-16-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Well, I pulled the trigger on it today. I rode. It felt pretty good and didn't notice any movement restrictions while riding. Took a bail on a bs 180... wasn't leaning against line enough, caught tail, and slammed my whole right side (bruised rib side) into the water. Probably almost the worst thing that could have happened but it didn't seem like it hurt anymore than that fall would have with 100% ribs. Feel great now and glad I got out there.

Godspeed to the rest of you with recent rib injuries. Or all injuries for that matter!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I think separated ribs are a pretty common injury. I did it a few years back in a tournament with crap water. Hurt bad for a month and to this day my ribs sticks out funny, know plenty of riders with one funky rib.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
I had similar symptoms about a month ago. I spent the whole set learning a raley and didn't take any noticable hard crashes. I probably did 15 wakeskate raley's before strapping the board on and landing one. Two days later it hurt to take a deep breath, cough, and sneezing was horrible. It probably lasted about 3 weeks and now isn't bothering me anymore.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
It is pretty common to injure the intercostal muscles in wakeboard crashes. I have had a lot of issues with muscles in my ribs just going into spasm and tightening up.

If it hurts from your back bone out to the sides of your rib cage lay flat on the ground with a rolled up towel underneath you parallel with your spine. This helps the muscle relax and gently stretches your back/ribs.