Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (gsulawwake)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-24-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
Everytime I take a good fall and a lot of water goes up my nose, I have sinus congestion and a terrible runny nose for the next couple days.
Other than not falling, is there anything that I can do to clear up my sinuses?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-24-2009, 6:20 PM Reply   
Grab a tissue?

I get it a lot from surfing, not so much from wakeboarding I usually end up taking a drink through my nose when I fall on my face behind the boat. Sometimes the water comes out, sometimes it doesn't... I haven't found a way to get it out.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
After surfing in salt water, I used to lower my head like toe touches, it drained away, now with allergies and fresh water I have an allergic reaction and have to deal with it with medications
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
you could try taping your nostrils shut with clear medical tape. i know it sounds lame, but a lot of barefooters do it to keep the green shiz outta there nose when doing deep water starts.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-24-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
I pretty much can't smell anything for the entire season of riding. It's quite enjoyable when I can smell again by late October.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Try rinsing your sinus cavity out with saline nasil spray after you ride. It'll help get the dirty stuff out and the salt solution is mildly antiseptic.
Old     (jfisher03)      Join Date: May 2008       06-24-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
i use afrin....greatest stuff ever. only problem is its has a rebound effect if you use it too often
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
I just relax and let the water drain. Kind of gross though...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
I take a combo of pills.

The stuff (phsudeofedrine?sp?) you need to get from a pharmacy (whatever is used to make meth) works awesome for decongestion.

Then I take another general allergy pill for the sneezing/itching etc etc
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
Neti-Pots!

They're a bit weird to use at first but they work amazingly. I have really bad allergies/Hay fever and they make my life a misery. I tried so many things, pills, nasal sprays, steam mask thingy's. None of it worked but now I use a Neti pot once or twice a day and all my problems are gone.

Try is out for a few weeks it may be just what you need to get rid of the conjestion and runny nose.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Afrin is a miracle drug, def use it to clear up the sinuses after a day of riding
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-24-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-25-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
one of my riding crew wears a nose clip.. helps a ton..
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-25-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Afrin will work but your nose can become an Afrin junkie after about 5 days. Sudafed works the same way as Afrin, but oral.

A saline sinus douche may help. Zyrtec and other antihistamines will help with allergies.

If you where a helmet you can get something like these that kayakers where all the time. Other plugs available to.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=20501
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-25-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I'll Second the Neti-Pot... I do it first and last every day.. somewhat refreshing too.. Now I only get runny noses when im hungover!
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-25-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Afrin, fur sure!! I only get to ride on the weekends, so I never need it for more than a day or two.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-25-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Nice one Steve

I use vicks vapourub, put it in a bowl with steaming hot water, put a towel over my head and breathe the vapours for a few minutes. Old school but it does the trick.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
I def. have this problem, I started taking Zytec this year and havent had near as many issues as I usually do. I've heard Flonase is a great option too.