Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
** Venting **
Left New Melones Res. Sunday evening after a wonderful weekend, driving north on 49 into Jackson, CA looking for a gas station and going 40 mph in a 45.
CHP officer traveling in opposite direction flips around behind me, pull's me over, questions me at length about how much I've drank that day so far as to smell my breath, looks over my trailer connections, into all windows, and ensured I had a front license plate. Goes back to his cruiser...I figured since I was going slow, had seatbelt on, sober as can be, had all required paperwork, and was totally polite and professional, I had nothing to worry about and would be on my way in a minute...But!

This is what I got after all his trouble:

Upload

Are they still protecting and serving? Or does anybody else think this a case of harass the tourist? Anybody know what this will cost? I heard $100 - $150
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-14-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
And they wonder why people spit in their food?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-14-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
I would check into it more by reading the vehicle code sections. CVC #27315 states you must be wearing one and be properly restrained but does not however specify what proper restraint is. I've beat many tickets for this type of thing including the California Motorcycle Helmet law for these very reasons, if it's not specified it's questionable and many times a judge will throw it out. Check the code here; http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27315.htm. Subsections may contain more so look into them although he didn't specify any subsections in the ticket.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-14-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Oh yeah the fine according to CVC 27315, section H, is listed below;

(h) Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 42001, any violation of subdivision (d), (e), or (f) is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense, and a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense. In lieu of the fine and any penalty assessment or court costs, the court, pursuant to Section 42005, may order that a person convicted of a first offense attend a school for traffic violators or any other court-approved program in which the proper use of safety belts is demonstrated

Section 42001 refers to traffic school if you interested.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just read that too after checking out the link. But I'm sure you can imagine, it's not the money...It's the most B-S ticket you've ever heard of, and a warning to those of you around Melones, Don Pedro, Comanche, etc. on the weekends to beware your already suspected of D.U.I. for towing a shiny boat with a lifted truck.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
I do not see anything in there that states how the seatbelt is to be worn.. just that one must be worn..

i would call BS and fight... there new system is like a appeal.. you fill out a form... you send it in with your statement.. the cop has to fill one out too.. a judge looks over it.. and then makes judgement.. if you disagree then you can set a date in court.. you do not have to even go in to court.. below is the info

Vehicle Code section 40902 allows a defendant to contest citations in writing, without having to make a personal court appearance. This procedure is called a "trial by declaration." Trials by written declaration are available in cases involving infraction violations of the Vehicle Code or of local ordinances adopted under the Vehicle Code.

The following must be met in order to qualify for a Trial by Written Declaration:

* Full bail must be paid.
* Violation(s) must be vehicle code infractions only.
* No accident involved.
* No failure to appear or failure to pay fine on the case.

Instructions and forms for a Trial by Written Declaration may be obtained by contacting the court through the mail, in person, or by selecting the following link:

Written TBD Instructions and Forms.

Submit the Trial by Written Declaration forms along with the full bail and any facts or evidence you wish to have considered. A written statement will be requested from the citing agency. A judicial officer will review your case, and you will be notified by mail of the decision.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-14-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
Thats some bull!!!!! id fight it, absolutley ridiculous.
I got pulled over a few weeks ago around 1am, police was going the opposite way, did a u-turn in the middle of the road and followed me like a mile then proceeded to pull me over, give me some moral story about speeding, even tho I wasnt speeding. and that pissed me off, I cant imagine how angry u must be.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-14-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
I second the trial by written declaration suggestion by Leo.
Don't waste your time in court. TBD has worked well for me.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-14-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
Is it me, or do all cops have the same handwriting?
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-15-2007, 12:13 AM Reply   
I'm sure a cop is going to respond to this thread and tell me what a moron I am, but things like this reinforce my stereotype of cops that stereotype. Cops seem to have a thing for pulling over and giving the third degree to anyone who is

a) a male under 30
b) a male with skin darker than an iced latte
c) a male driving a nicer vehicle than the cop can afford
d) if all three of the above, be prepared for cavity search

I'm sure that by posting this I'm guaranteed to get the cavity search. But that will just further reinforce the stereotype.
Old    alanp            08-15-2007, 3:02 AM Reply   
the fine is $20 plus court costs. i would fight this tho. the officer probably wont show up for court if you do. the subsection he is citing is (d) and it only states that the seatbelt should be properly worn. what makes him an expert in seatbelts? i doubt they go over proper utilization of a seatbelt in the academy.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 5:12 AM Reply   
Hey JPK, I'm not going to say you're a moron, just remember that there are jerks in every profession. You usually only hear about the cops who are jerks, not the ones who do their job the way it should be done, which is most of us. By the way, I haven't written a seatbelt in my 16 year career. If you wanna die, that's your business. Kids not in car seats is another matter...
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-15-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
JPK, so true...so true.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-15-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Not trying to thread jack but I pulled over one night to help a young lady who had lost control of her car. The vehical had rolled over substaining alot of damage, and the area was in the middle of no where so I stopped to help and put my care provider skills to good use. One other vehical had stopped and the lady was already out of her vehical. I got her off the road and to a place where I could get her to be still so a bystander could manage c-spine. I checked her injuries and told her what I thought was going on and calmed her down. I gave her some insight on what was going to happen at the hospital and just made small talk till the ambulance arrived. What got under my skin the most was during the time I got her off the road and was examing her a PD officer was on scene wanting to see my driver's licence, proof of insurance, and was writting down my tag number. Next he then started questing the lady the same. I still do not understand this young man's reasoning till this day.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Jordan... Send in a picture to the judge as to why the seatbelt was under your left arm... BE HONEST... I bet it was because you had a hottie sitting on the drivers seat and you were straddling her with your back facing the steering wheel.. so no wonder why the seat belt had to be under your left arm!!! Good on ya!!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-15-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
It was under your left arm after you stopped because you had to reach over and get your documentation per the officer's request. What time of day was it. The officer has to prove that he saw the seatbelt under your arm as you were driving 40 mph past him, which would seem a little difficult. Also, I dont know what the law is in CA, but here in FL officer's have to have probable cause to stop you. Of course they can make stuff up...
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-15-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
I'll get this Brian....JPK, you're a moron....

First, this is a CHP ticket, which means the copper job about 90% traffic related....That's what they do, and it's easy to see. Jordan prolly got pulled over for the seatbelt violation because its good PC for a stop, and the cop snooped around like he's supposed to.....

Cheesy ticket? I would vote yes as well......but it'll stand if you fight it. And as an added bonus, the cop will get time and a half, baby!!!!

hhhmmmmmm.....maybe I should write seatbelt tickets so I can supplement my boat gas fund with the o.t......Of course I'll only write the MC, CC, and BU owners cuz they have lots of money to spend on toys! (Buzz, Jonny, Bobby, Ryan and Chuck excluded of course!).....Well, maybe not Buzz.....

(Message edited by clubjoe on August 15, 2007)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
"a) a male under 30
b) a male with skin darker than an iced latte
c) a male driving a nicer vehicle than the cop can afford
d) if all three of the above, be prepared for cavity search"

Wow, great(clapping heard in the background for effect)stereotyping. Please tell the rest of the class about people with colored skin, those who are tattooed, and the homeless.
Mocking the law, like their perfect, is mindless. What about the good, is that somehow list, because someone got a $20 ticket? Since we have a few Cops in the house, maybe they can relay to the common Joe, how many lives they have saved, how many drunks taken off the road, how many guns they have confiscated, METH removed from your neighborhood, how many accidents they have witnessed, how many deaths they've ENJOYED-because of stupidity. If your going to paint the picture, please use all the colors.
FYI-Good luck to the ticket guy, but it's called a "Shoulder" restraint for a reason. I have never seen an "Underarm" restraint-sorry.
Not perfect, but not pretending to be either.
Old    stillstandin            08-15-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Most cops dont consider CHP officers cops. Just a FYI
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-15-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Chris ....maybe that CHP officer should stop writing idiotic tickets and go get some bad guys! (like you mentioned)
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-15-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think the Jackson CHP office is especially hard on Seatbelt use. My 68 year old mom lives in Jackson and has received two seat belt tickets driving her 74 TR6. (her excuse is that the car has crappy belts that are a pain to use) Supposedly its one or two particular officers who really are on the lookout for seatbelts every day,
Chris..........Well said!
Old    K.B.C.            08-15-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
what a joke, I'd be f'ing pissed
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-15-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
why would you wear your seatbelt like that anyway? seems like it would be a tad bit uncomfortable
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-15-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
I wear my seatbelt under my arm as I have a plate on my left collarbone. Between the surgery scar and the bone buildup around the plate anything touching it feels freaky. I have been pulled over and warned a few times about it.........
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong, buuuuuut if you had the shoulder strap under your left arm how would the cop be able to see you had it on at all as he passed by?

Seems as though when he pulled you over you weren't wearing the seat belt correctly, you got cited, and now your angry???

Don't know about your local tv stations, but up here they've been playing commercials over, and over warning folks they'll ticket you first offense if your not wearing one.

By chosing to wear your belt in a half assed manner you ran the risk of getting a ticket (best case scenario) or being severely injured if you had gotten in an accident (worst case scenario). I'm gonna guess the ticket served it's purpose, and you'll be wearing belt correctly from now on regardless of the outcome
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
I would just say that you pulled it under your arm to make easier access to the glove box to get your insurance and registration papers.

In the end, I didn't read this entire thread.....and it has been VERY well documented on this thread and others that I am VERY, VERY pro police officer, but I will agree this is ridiculous.

In the end though, if I didn't live there to fight it, I would send in the fine with a letter to the court explaining what happened, hopefully catching a break.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
I am just glad I live in a state where there are no Seatbelt or Helmet Laws.

Personal Choice rules.

Sean
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
I knew I'd get some good perspective from my WW friends.
Rick- Thanks for the info.
Leo- "Properly" might mess up my appeal, but I like the TbWD idea.
JPK- I thought I grew out of it but I guess not.
Brian- Keep up the good work.
Clubjoe- maybe he'll buy a boat with his time and a half and mellow out.
Chris & Cliff- You don't see any harassment in my situation?
Old    murrayair            08-15-2007, 11:56 PM Reply   
Like SCA said, most Police officers and Sheriffs deputies I know (and I know quite a few) don't consider CHP legitimate cops. I know that most of them are probably nice guys and all, but the organization as a whole is a little BS. Most Police and Sheriffs are actually arresting bona fide criminals, whereas most of the people stopped by CHP are otherwise safe motorists who happened to make one small mistake.
Old    alanp            08-16-2007, 12:35 AM Reply   
clubjoe, use the stop as pc to get into the car. once there is no other violation write a warning and move on. this guy was just being an ass
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
Jordan,

I highly doubt the officer was influenced by your vehicle or your boat. You drove by him without your belt over your shoulder and he pulled you over.

This incident has nothing to do with who you are, what you do for a living, or how much your worth.

You ran the risk of getting a ticket by not wearing your seat belt correctly, and you got caught. I don't understand why it's so difficult for you to take accountability for your action?

I suppose you can fight your little slap on the hand ticket, and maybe you'll get off. Depends on how much your time is worth to you. I'd just step up and pay the ticket then move on with the more important things in my life.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-16-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
IMO, actively looking for some little technicality as PC to pull people over is an abuse of power, probably really profiling 90% of the time (in this case you were profiled because of the boat and time of day), and hopefully some kind of violation of privacy rights.

Hey cops, I have a question; when you're out in front of a church on Sunday, is the church paying your time and use of taxpayers' equipment, or are we paying for that?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
How was he not influenced by the boat? The way the story was told, there was no indication of "I pulled you over because of your seatbelt" it was all an accusation of drinking. Then proceeded to try and get him on technicalities regarding the vehicle and boat. Sounds like he had to get him for something since he radio'd it in. The story does sound like it is missing a, Well when the cop turned around I put my seatbelt on, but it doesn't, so that's just an assumption. If the seatbelt was the reason, how was that not brought up first thing? It was all about drinking, and where would you be drinking? Yea, that boat behind ya.

Similar story I have, although I was going "45" in 30 ("" because I have trouble believing they can accurately clock you while moving at a similar speed in the opposite direction), but all the questions were about drinking since I was leaving the lake. Ended in a friendly convo about wakeboarding, and no ticket. They are trying to keep drunks off the roads, which I applaud, but profiling still shouldn't be allowed. Those fishermen drink too!
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Alan--

I agree 100% with the exception of the officer -automatically- being an ass, just because he wrote it (but you may be right )

The vehicle code is a great tool, but I hardly even write warnings, if I break out my book at all. I like it when people do that kind of stuff. I have the -option- of stopping them whenever I want, and no cite means I'll prolly have the option again ....but I'm not in the traffic business...

I'm by no means defending the cite, and roll my eyes whenever I hear about em, even though there's nothing "wrong" with it. It's more annoying to me when I read about how the -cops- are the problem everytime somebody gets caught with their boardshorts down, and the "field attorneys" start coming out of the woodwork...

BTW--I don't stop vehicles with toys, cuz they got places to go, and I don't want to be the one holdin em up! If I'm following you don't worry....I'm prolly just checking out yer ride!
Old    deltahoosier            08-16-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
I think Joe had the attitude. Could not be better said in my opinion. I can understand using the code to get a look. We complain all the time on here about drunks on the water. Well that is what the guy did. He profiled someone who may have been drinking (large percentage of boaters) and usually drunk people forget little things like seatbelts or turning on lights and things like that. Of course, I would agree with Joe that it makes your eyes roll when they go ahead a write you up for something that most people would say is ticky tack. I agree with both sides on it. Of course, maybe to the cop a $20-$50 ticket is letting you go easy?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
I'm all for keeping the roads safe, and yeah I get large percentage of boaters drink and all that. But at what point did it become possible to just pull someone over, check them out, check their car out, and never say why they were doing it, let alone why they got pulled over. Thats where I feel this is unfair. Vehicle code was not broken (outside), he really had no reason to pull him over. To me this is an abuse of power and justice, you can't just pull people over rolling the dice that you'll get something on them.
Old    deltahoosier            08-16-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
You can see seatbelts doing 40 mph. Heck, people hit 100 mph baseballs release less than 60 ft from them. So, you can see them and the cop was correct. He did not have it on. I see where you are coming from though. It can be considered an abuse. I thought at one time they could not pull you over for a seat belt only and then the law changed to where they could? Also in California this summer I have been hearing those click it or tickey commercials all over the place so they are advertising that the are going to stop you and give you a seat belt ticket.

What I find stupid (Kind of change the subject) is the stupid car seat laws. I know women and a 12 year old boy that technically meet the requirements for having to use a booster seat.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Rod,

From my understanding, the age will allow them to not have to use a booster seat. It says if you are 60 lbs or 6+ years of age do not have to use a booster seat.

I'm not entire sure on that but I do have a 6 year old that the school said that he didn't need to be in a booster seat....
Old    deltahoosier            08-16-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
I thought they put through another bill to raise it to 90 lbs? Could be wrong since no one in my family is young or small enough. I may have to look it up for sure. I just may be repeating and spreading half truths and gossip.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-16-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yup, looks like I'm right about the booster seat.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/boosterseats.html
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
Read this web site for a few days, and you will see how $$$ is corrupting our system. Cities changing laws just to produce revenue. Shorting the time on a yellow light to make the camera tame a picture. Crazy stuff.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-16-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
sucks to hear that the man is keeping you down.

I won't boat in CA anymore because of all the drunks on the water. It is probably good that they are profiling.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
OK, so you called me on the moronic post. Sheesh, I'm crushed and wasn't expecting that.

But whatever happened to "Do you know why I stopped you?" and "Here's a warning, please drive safely." This guy didn't say, "Hey, I noticed your seatbelt was on but under your arm. I'm going to have to write you a ticket for that and have you go on your way." He just stopped him, tried to find anything in the book to cite, and then racked up a little cash for the county coffers for a shiny new BMW cop cycle.

I get pulled over all the dang time and can only remember two cops with the decency to be polite and explain right away why they stopped me. They were also the only two times I was actually aware I was doing something wrong and they let me off with warnings.

Every other time it's "Give me your license and registration, then put your hands on the wheel and be quiet." Then they proceed to call in to try to find a violation they can throw on me. (Is the car stolen? Does this guy have any priors? Can I apply the cavity search now or back at the station?)

Sorry, but guys like this give cops the negative stereotype that some of us have. I'm actually a pretty ultra convservative guy. I have nothing but respect for the armed services, firemen, FBI, DEA, ATF, or others who serve and protect. But traffic cops don't seem to serve or protect me at all. Go spend time stopping the car thieves and the drunks rather than wasting all afternoon ringing up extra revenue.
Old    alanp            08-16-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
fwiw. fbi, dea, ice, atf etc use traffic cops all the time to pull people over to id them or wall off an investigation in order to not compromise a large investigation.

cops dont have to tell you why you were pulled over btw. its really not to their advantage. why get into a verbal pissing match with driver when you can just cite them and send them on their way. no im not a cop btw.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-16-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
If the cop was in fact "profiling", it is only because it is the sad reality that a pretty good percentage of wakeboats pulling out of a popular waterway on a saturday or sunday afternoon are GOING to have some drunks involved.

I hate profiling, but I hate drunk drivers even more.

Tough call, but I still say the write was a little bit ticky-tack.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-16-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
JPK;

I was gonna stay out of this, but what the heck..LOL. First disclamer: I was a California Peace Officer, working for a sheriff's office, for 25 years. Retired as a Sergeant. Worked patrol, homicide, narcotics, SWAT, etc.
There are good and not so good cops out there, they tend to represent a cross-section of the community they come from, and we ain't all perfect.
CHP has primary responsibility for vehicle code enforcement on county roads and State Highways. Until a few years ago, their badges said "State Traffic Officer" on them. "Traffic" is their bread and butter, not general law enforcement.
They can see if seat belts are being worn, it isn't difficult.
It is probable cause for a traffic stop, as is any other obvious moving or equipment violation. Cheezy, maybe.
"He looked in all your windows" perhaps looking for an open container, perhaps looking for guns or other threats. Remember, cops get killed on traffic stops all the time. All bad guys don't look the same. (I was fired on by a suspect who not only had his kids in the back seat, but they were holding his crank lab in a box.)
He went back to his cruiser to run your DL and plate fromt he relative safety of his car, safety from any threat he percieved, and safety from all the other folks on the road. Ya ain't lived until you've had to jump into a ditch to avoid some drunk who is homing in on your lights like a moth to a bug light..
CHP don't work for the county. Not one dime of your fine will go to the county fund. It'll go to the state and the courts. Believe it or not, it is not legal for fine revenue to go back directly into the "coffers" of the local cop-shop, no matter who wrote the ticket. Sheriff's offices and P.D.'s are primarliy general fund revenue drains, if the bean counters could get ahold of that fine money, they'd have done it a long time ago. CHP is funded by license plate fees. Fines and court penalty assesments are primarly directed by legislation to dui education, traffic school, etc. Our elected reps in Sacto dream them up on our behalf.
Most CHP offices and some P.D.'s have programs where they are in zero-tolerance mode for some violations on various roads throughout the various jurisdictions. (I'm sure you've seen the clickit or ticket signs, etc.)sometimes, based on a safety grant or other program on a particularly bloody stretch of road, they'll put more manpower on the road to engage in enforcement action during a given period of time.
"calling in" to see if they can find a violation to throw at you isn't really accurate. They are checking to see if your license is suspended, if a warrant is out, etc. Since the state legislature changed licensing laws to allow for suspension of licenses for failure to pay child support, you'd be amazed at the number of people out there driving without a license...and, hence, without insurance. A bad thing if they happen to run into your rig, or worse.
Cavity searches, in general, cannot be performed wthout a special search warrant, they are tough to get.
Believe it or not, many people the cops interact with lie to them on a regular basis. Checking your hookup, ie the hitch, wiring etc;, can be a quick indication if your boat actually belongs on your truck. Boat theft types generally don't hook up the lights, or safety chain, or breakaways when they are stealing trailered boats.
"Car thieves" don't generally wear a sign. Many are caught in simple traffic stops.it does sound to me like the guy had zero personality that day.
You stated you, "get pulled over all the damn time" ( why is that?) so you do have some experience judging "roadside manner"
I didn't tell everybody I pulled over why they were being stopped, right away, either. Sometimes people blurt out the strangest things when they start guessing.
While traffic cops may not seem like they are protecting and serving you, they are out there for a reason. Nobody likes getting tickets. you came on here and let everybody know what was up on that stretch of road. if somebody slows down a bit and doesn't cause or otherwise get into a grinder, or wears a belt and survives a grinder, then the service is done. If it hadn't been you in that truck, and it had been your boat being boosted, things would be different. If you had been DUI, and the cop had hooked up up, we would all have been safer. I think the "harrassment" word gets tossed around pretty freely. Believe me, if a cop gets a couple of legit complaints for "harrassment", his sergeant is going to be climbing up his arse with a microscope. As a supervisor,I didn't need idiots working for me and took every citizen complaint seriously. My troops knew it, and slackers didn't work for me. When I ran the training program for the dept., they didn't make it to the street solo.
I'd encourage anyone who really feels like they have been harrassed, mistreated, or otherwise met with unprofessional behavior from a law enforcement professional to go with the flow during the contact, then research the matter, consider the facts, and then, if appropriate, file a complaint.
This guy you dealt with probably won't win any personality awards, and perhaps he wasn't Officer Friendly, but in all candor, if you are getting stopped alot and have only had two cops treat you in a manner you consider to be nice, then maybe you need to consider that there is something else going on, maybe how you project yourself to them is contributing to the mix a bit.
There is alot of misinformation, rumors, and unscientific wild-ass guessing out there about the who/what/why and how the cops do their jobs. Some of it cracks me up, some makes me mad, and some is just plain silly. If we werre slick enough to pull off some of the conspiracies we are frequently accused of, we sure as heck wouldn't be in this business.
I'll be the first in line to slam the door on the bad ones, those of us trying to to the job in a professional manner are the ones most impacted by the occassional jerk that gets through the vetting process involved in hiring.
Old     (sharkyvonmarks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
f!@!#$#$ a pig!!!!!!
Old    swass            08-16-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
Go Army!
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-16-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
2 questions: So who would you complain to if you did have a complaint? What's the best way to beat a ticket even if you are in the wrong?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-16-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
Paul, you guys were in the were in the wrong. I would of took your passes for two weeks.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Cliff- You can't be serious! Of course I'll pay my little infraction and move on but did you see at the top, this is MY vent about a B-S ticket, and I hardly think you would have your same hard nose opinion if you had been in my shoes.
Alan- With that opinion, cops will keep their reputation, and you won't see me defending any anytime soon.
Army- You got bad intel, I never said I got pulled over all the time, in fact I haven't been pulled over in about 9 years until Sunday.

I actually thought he was going to tell me something was wrong with my trailer or something, I should have known none of them on the hill were looking to help anybody after seeing another CHP sitting at the bottom of a steep hill on Saturday morning while towing to the lake.
Cops- Is it that hard to pull over a legit traffic stop? I saw plenty of tweekers just screamin "Stuff in my car"! make missing teeth your P.C.

A hardworking, law-abiding, "accountable" guy like myself would have responded better with a warning than the ticket.

Thanks to all for your comments!
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
If you fight the ticket, the Judge will interpret what the word "properly" is intended to mean in the statute. My guess is that he will interpret "properly" to mean wearing the seatbelt as it was designed or intended to be worn. Since you weren't wearing the seatbelt as it was designed or intended to be worn, IMO, the Judge will find that you violated the statute and you will lose.

JPK, I got pulled over eight years ago for not wearing my seatbelt when I was driving an 8 year old Honda. And I am as white as they come. Never been pulled over towing my shiny VLX.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
Great words, Army Dad.

I think it is obvious that there is a zero tolerance for improper wearing of the seat belt. It is not worth the $20 to fight it.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-16-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
Jordan, it wasn't intel; I'm a long way from there and retired, LOL. I was trying to respond to JPK and cover your situation as well. Sorry.
"legit" traffic stops are, obviously, determined by the cop at the time. While I understand your frustration, whenever two people experience something there will always be at least two different opinions about how/what went down.
I was always a big believer in warnings, however, if that CHP area Office is working under a zero tolerance order, that cop wasn't in a position to do warnings.
In my post I was just trying to give some perspective of what things are like on the other sde of the badge.
Paul if you feel you have a complaint against a peace officer, the place to start is with his supervisor at the duscussion level. All agencies have written policy on citizen complaints, and the supervisior will know that procedure frontwards and backwards.
Beating a ticket if your wrong? Well, that requires talking to an attorney, giving them your money, and hoping for the best, while also hoping the cop didn't get the paperwork right.
Old    alanp            08-16-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
not sure if this will suffice for an improper ticket but he didnt complete the citation. the ticket should have read 27315 (d) (1). judges will throw out a tickets if they are improperly written. i would show up to court tell the judge you want to fight the case but dont know which subsection the officer was referring to since there are three for (d). worth a shot.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-17-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
Good plan on fight a $20 ticket. It'll probably cost you $25 in gas to drive there.....somethings are better just to move on.

I think $20 traffic ticket is the cheapest I've ever heard of.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-17-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
You gotta be careful when you're anywhere around Jackson, CA. The cops out there are just looking for any reason to pull you over. If you ever watch the speed limit signs they go from 45 to 40 to 35 back to 45 back down, It all just seems like they are trying to get you to do something wrong. Me and my friends call Jackson "Speed Trap USA" because well in our experience it is.
Old    alanp            08-17-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
20 dollar fine plus court costs which are probably about 80 bucks. id fight it on principle
Old     (twobills)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-20-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Just heard on the radio that seat belt tickets are $80-91.
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-03-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Two words my dad taught me: cause = effect