Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (adelzee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
good people of Wakeworld,

I've got an 18 ft fourwinns with a 4.3 engine and need bigger wake! I know with this types of boats if add a bit of weight to the back, it’ll be impossible to level the boat when towing (cause once I had 3 guys sitting in the back and I had that issue, ‘till I asked them to sit in the bow). Also, not sure if it makes a big difference, but I got a pylon and the base is about a foot from the engine.
what are the limitations for this size engine? What should the proportions of weight in the back and front? What are the best places to keep the weight? (considering that normally I’ve got 3-5 people on the boat). What are the best bang for the buck as far weight bladders ?
Any other tips/ things I should consider before doing something like this?

Thanks a bunch,
Adel
Old    leggester            08-31-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
basically, you want to change the planing hull to more of a displacement hull.

I'd say a good start is 150lbs in front and 100lbs on each side right behind the driver and passenger in the cockpit.

Work from there.

(Message edited by leggester on August 31, 2004)
Old    grampawakerider            08-31-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
I run an 18 1/2 ft Bayliner w/ 4.3. When I put 300lbs in the front I plane out faster and get a steep wake. If I take that same 300 and put it in the back it takes me forever to plane out, but when I do my perfect pass takes over and does a great job. The wake is alot rampier that way. I normally run w two in the boat and a rider. w/ 3-5 on the boat I'd put the weight where the peeps aren't. You can make your weight movable by getting the Launch Pad 85lb sacs. I carry four of those and a 350 sac too for when I feel really pesky. Good luck.
Old     (openwydr)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
We have a Cobalt 226 with a 6.2. Where should we place the wieght to get a better wake? We have just bought a sack for the ski locker ans 2 fat buddy sacs. Should we put the fat buddies up front and the locker sac in the locker? We could do as much as 1100 lbs is that to much?

Thanks for the info

JJ
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-31-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
with the right prop JJ no the 1100 would not be too much for your 6.2, depending on how many peeps ride with you. Ive run 1600 plus 4-5 peeps a couple times and the wake was large to say the least but my puny 5.0 was struggling even with the merc high 5, 19" prop and PP.
Old    leggester            09-01-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
With an 8 banger 22', you may not need any.

A friend of mine has a 22' 5.7 - his wake is good without any additives. It's a bitch skiing though. Like hitting a brick wall. Youi really learn fast to stay on edge through/over it.
Old     (cooze)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
I have a 18 foot bayliner w/ 4.3 . I put a phat buudy(approx. 250#) on each side of the engine and a fat boy (600#)in the bow or ski locker depending on how many people we have on the boat. takes a little to plane(20 sec. or more) but just depends on how bad you want a nice wake.
Old    svfara            09-01-2004, 7:47 AM Reply   
I had a 19ft I/O w/4.3L EFI
With the right prop the engine should handle pretty much anything. (5-blade stainless will do wonders!)
I've run with up to 2500lbs in the boat no problem.

You'll want the majority of the weight in the front. This worked good for me:
900 up front (sand & tube sac)
400 in ski locker
550 in front or rear bench seat (which was actually close to the mid point of the boat)
Add a few people and you're good to go!

My pylon was in the center though...

Stingray 190LX
Old    tribal            09-01-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine just got the exact same boat.I haven't been out too many times with him yet and we haven't plaid with it that much but it seem's to me you can take some weight in the back no problem.That and a fair bit of trim once you're planing.This definatly steepens and makes the wake a little larger.The bow sit's pretty high when driving and it can be hard to see but haven't had any planing issues.
Old     (adelzee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
thanks guys, appreciate the info.