Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       12-29-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
I live in Central CA and it's been a little colder than usual later. I USED to have my boat in a garage and now it's outside under a canopy.

Anything I can do to keep the block from freezing (I didn't winterize due to being garaged). Just want to make sure I don't run into any issues, or should I just go get it winterized?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-29-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
I think you would be ok just draining the water out of the engine and heater if you have one.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Short term cure; drop a shop light with a 60 watt bulb, under the engine cover. Throw a couple of old blankets around the motor as well.

Not foolproof, but should be good enough for California valley climate. You'd need a couple of nights at somewhere under 20 degrees to beat it.
Old     (cwfletch)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-29-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
I'm not familiar with Centurion's but the Nautique runs a closed cooling system with a raw water pump. I use a 5 gallon bucket, mix 1 gallon of anti-freeze with 3 gallons water and a 1" barbed connector w/ clear 1" tubing (home depot/lowes) connected to my pick up hose. Start the boat, run the engine until the bucket is empty and you are winterized. Remember to flush it out before hitting the lake. I never worry about the hard tanks, plenty of room for expansion.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-29-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Yep. pick one those three and you should be good to go.

Christmas lights will also work for the engine bay since you pry have a few of those layin around...
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-30-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
there are things called golden rods, the light bulb is not 100% safe

drain the block and manifolds

email me for the service manuals on how to drain properly!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-31-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
Go with JUST IN TIMEs recommendation if there is any chance of freezing. You borderline guys have this problem. Us in the north always fully winterize. When in doubt drain it out.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-31-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
When you drain, replace the plugs with quick removal tabs or petcocks.

My boat is on the list all winter long and it take me all of 10 minutes to winterize. Uncrew the two drains. Uncouple the raw water hose (has a quick disconnect) Remove the two tranny drains and for safe measure, remove the intake from the water pump.