Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
After being on a Recoil since 07' I'm going to give Hyperlite a go again, any input on which board in the Hyerlite / Byerly lineup would probably work well for me?... Its been so long since I've looked at anything but SS I'm out of the loop.

I really like the flex of the slingshot, the pop of the recoil and the speed good too - not to fast, not to slow.

When I'm in Wisconsin I'll be on a old SANTE and now that I'm in MN probably a lot of riding behind an Epic, so mostly straight-up, straight-down type wakes.

My favorite boards ever for suggestion sake:
SS Recoil
Ronix Ibex
Hyperlite Byerly (2003) DNA core

Thanks!
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-09-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
I went through a similar process. I was on an 08 Response then a 10 response and at first thought I'd never ride anything else. Decided to give traditional boards a go again for whatever reason and went to hyperlite. Rode the 10 & 11 b-side. Really like that board. Also tried out the 12 franchise and just didn't really get along with it. This season, I got the itch to try out a board from Slingshot's ballistic line. Picked up a 12 Kine about two months ago, and for me, it's the best board I've ever ridden. Felt at home right away. Not trying to sway you from your decision to try out HL or Byerly boards, but have you tried, or thought of trying anything from SL's ballistic line?

Last edited by thescott; 05-09-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Can't spell...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
From the Hyperlite/Byerly line my two favorite boards are the Franchise and the AR1. They ride differently but are both good at what they do. I really like the Franchise on a steep wake because it has plenty of rocker but doesn't get overly bucky. It has a nice smooth release from the wake and carries its speed through landings.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-09-2013, 11:55 AM Reply   
My current recoil is about dead and can get a fantastic deal on Hyperlite / Byerly.... the Mrs. is being quite stingy with "our" money because of the wedding coming up in a few months... so trying to pitch new setup at normal price might tough.

... and its been 6 years on recoils, might be time to switch things up

Quote:
really like the Franchise on a steep wake
That is what 90% of my riding will be on, that is good to know.

... still can't get over the name, I liked Big Heavy much more.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 05-09-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-09-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Take a look at the Hyperlite Webb or Byerly Jib if youre trying not to go completely back to a traditional board.

I just ordered a Webb after breaking my Slingshot Reflex due to its hybrid capabilities.

I do love the Franchise though since its fast and has really consistent pop but i was looking for a board that suited the boat and cable.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-10-2013, 4:56 AM Reply   
I would go with the webb but I think you are making a mistake going away from slingshot
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-10-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
The Byerly Blunt is also a board to look at since you like the 03 Byerly.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-10-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
Another vote for the Franchise, its legit of any wake Ive ridden (which is almost every one). Has enough rocker to scoop really steep wakes without punching through. Like Stephan said, its got super smooth release too. Just a super fun board to ride all around. I felt at home on it after one set, and havent looked back.

If you like the 3stage and flex from the slingy, I would also check out the Webb, on paper it should be right up your alley since its a hybrid flex core and subtle 3stage, but since Ive never ridden it I cant say for sure.

Hope this helps.