Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I'm a nautique owner and this thread is running about the same course as the first thread on the FCT 3 tower.

It looks fine.

Now, where to put the mirror ?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-29-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
I heard from our local Malibu dealer about this tower on Saturday.... It sounded like one of the goals was to make it fold flat enough to go into a 7' door without removing that rear hoop like you have to on the Illusion XS. I'm not sure if this happened or not. It would be very nice though to just have 2 pins to pull, and flop it forward, and back it in! My Titan 2 is very easy to fold down, but does get a little heavy with speakers and racks.

that would be nice.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-29-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Damn, you guys would blame anything on Tige, Get a life! c
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Truth hurts dude, can't blame them for wanting to copy Malibu though. It's really Metcraft's fault but Tige was on the receiving end of the rip off.

Don't have to believe me ask Bob why Malibu is no longer a customer of his.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on June 29, 2009)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-29-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Guess it does, that's why you replied huh?

I could careless what happened between Bu and Metcraft and Tige.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Oh now you could care less? Wonder what Tige will do when they won't be able to get their new tower anymore when Metcraft goes under.
Old     (skiheaven)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like many of you do not like the new Malibu tower. I would have to say that I agree with all of you! I know people over at Malibu and at Metcraft and to let you all know, Malibu screwed the Metcraft company. Malibu has "removed" many of the original employees and has attempted to make their own tower in order to cut costs. Of course, all companies are doing that now a days...understandable! But, they did it behind Metcraft's back and did not tell them any of their plans. They have tried to copy the exclusive designs of Metcraft with their tower and the lift system. Too bad for Malibu...they are shooting themselves in the foot (or other body parts!) But, don't you all worry...I know that the designer of the original Illusion X and XS towers will have something for all you Malibu owners soon!!!
Old    mendo247            06-29-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I love the new tower!! I'm suprised by all the negativity....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
You're full of it Derek. One post spammer. Your facts are backwards dude.
Old     (skiheaven)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
Really nu bu...and what makes your facts true???
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Who do you work for Derek metcraft?
Old     (skiheaven)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Actually...no...I told you, if you read my first post, I know people from both companies.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-29-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
I'm sure they will sell just fine.....
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-29-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
I get it.... Metcraft can build an Illusion Knock Off tower for everyone else, but it is Malibu who screwed Metcraft... WOW
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Those Professional photos definately look good, kinda dark though, my photos were with my cell phone. I think like some of you have said they will grow on us. It is this kind of cutting edge designing that has made malibu what it is today, probably the biggest wakeboat company there is. to bad about metcraft I hope tige can help them stay afloat, cause they do look sweet on them tiges'.
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
So quick to judge. Just like the Axis, new Natique towers, etc., everyone bashes them but once more photos/videos/info comes out, people start saying "Ehh, It's starting to grow on me. I guess it's not as bad as I thought".
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-29-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Dave, maybe they're the same springs as your tower. Sounds good either way and to my knowledge, haven't seen that on any other boat...

From their FB page:
"From the solid foundation of billet aluminum bases to the billet tower support wings backing the 3” stainless steel hoop the Illusion G3 is unshakeable. The Illusion G3 features dual gas spring shocks to assist in creating the feature of weightless fold down. This new feature now enables you to fold down the tower in minutes, even by yurself. The new tower design incredibly blends the best of form and function in creating the most advanced tower on the market today. The G3 is also accessories-rich featuring a set of two Titan spinner/slide-off wakeboard racks standard."
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
Yes Derek I can read. Not making much sense, especially given your first post on here. You don't think Metcraft going behind Malibu's back and making a deal with Tige on an obvious knock off illusion tower had anything to do with the relationship going south? How would Malibu have anything to do with Metcraft losing employees? The only reason Malibu would have anything to do with Metcraft losing employees is the fact they stopped buying from them after they F'd up the deal they had and they couldn't pay all the employees they had. They don't own Metcraft or have any control over what they do obviously. They only made metcraft a bunch of money.

You think the tooling and R&D involved saved them any money on getting this new tower out there, seriously.

At the end of the day you have your opinion based on the information that was given to you, and I have mine based on the information given to me. They obviously differ greatly.

Nacho it's a little embarassing they can't spell "yurself" .

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on June 29, 2009)
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-29-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff... is it me or does the new tower look very similar to the tower on your Malibu.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
From what I've heard, Metcraft also had trouble keeping up with orders from Malibu, especially the custom color towers, which is part of the reason Malibu started building them themselves. If a supplier can't take care of you, why keep them around as a supplier?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
^^^^ that has been happening all along. There was a big falling out when Metcraft and Tige got together but Malibu producing their own tower has been in the works for some time now.
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Yea Travis, I think they copied me, j/k. I actually just wanted to build my own tower for the old sunsetter, and with the illusion for inspiration and what I had for equipment thats what I came up with. I even had a machine shop make me some billet bases with the malibu logo on it. It looks better now with a custom bimini on it.
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
It is growing on me especially with the better pics. I will need to see it in person.
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
It is growing on me especially with the better pics. I will need to see it in person.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-29-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
I like the tower overall, but I think what makes it look horrible is the combination of the chrome tubing along with the black cast.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-29-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
I guess in time it will grown on everyone, and we will like it... Look at the very first Illusion tower... show stopper... and many negative reviews and remarks.. but now its the number one tower on the market, that now one could beat in stability... Malibu makes the best quality boats so im sure they have done there homework and this tower is just as strong... Had anyone seen it with a bimini?
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-29-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
So is the Illusion XS tower gone for 2010 or is this new tower just going to be an option or on certain boats?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
Illusion X and XS are history in 2010.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-30-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
Does Malibu own Titan wake?

That's a Titan tower.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
I agree with David Williams' post earlier... I think that Malibu really has missed a great marketing opportunity with the fact that their towers fold down so easily and quickly for anyone that does it regularly. I know that was a major selling feature that I knew about that no one really pushed when I was shopping for a new boat. Now I do have an '08 VLX with the illusion X but, I can raise or lower my tower in less than a minute by myself without tools and get it into a garage with a 7' door (now I do have to remove my Titan spinners and that requires an allen wrench and removing one bolt on each side and adds a couple of minutes to the opperation) But, to me this was an important selling feature. I like that look of the Supras and there is a dealer in my town as well, but with their bimini I was told that it is at least a 2 person job and there is no where to put the bimini when the tower is down but lay it on the bow. I will have to wait and see the new tower in person before I make a final judgement, but it will probably be at least another 8-10 years before I am in the market again and there will surely be something newer by then.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Looks a lot more like a wakecraft tower to me with it not following the contour of the window. Looks functionally better especially for taller guys like me. To me with the bim on it will look better I think the current illusion tower is the same way. Don't like the look much with out the bim with the bim it sweetens it up.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hey Derek where you at??? Guess your buddies over at metcraft didn't give you the full story.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/711596.html?1246380268
Old    K.B.C.            06-30-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
is that thing a transformer? seriously why do they put that ugly piece of metal on the windshield? I dont mind the tower so much but the logo on the side, geesh.

I'm a CC guy and thought the Bu's from a few years back were the best looking boats on the market. Now they are starting to look like those overaccessorized vehicles driving around. Do they have metal flashing trim on the wheel wells to match the windshield? How bout fake vents and curb feelers? haha
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yes scott and it's more than meets the eye.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
I think the new tower looks dope. I'm really amazed it is getting so many negative comments. Plus the gas shocks are a great idea. If you can powdercoat that tubing to match the gelcoat it is going to look sick. Love the cast with textured finish.

Still don't like the metal trim at the corners of the windshield though...
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-01-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Got a little more info on the tower.... It will clear an 8' door with that rear hoop left on the tower, but to clear a 7' door you'll need to pull the hoop. It will supposedly clear a 6'10" door with the rear hoop removed. Rear hoop removal will be easier than than the Illusion XS, it will be 2 short allen head bolts, and they're not sunk way down into the tower like the XS.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
damn....I knew I should have gotten a Titan tower on my 0823LSV......
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Am I the only one who is not fond of boat hulls with significant shaping for fashion purposes?

Any idea why BU decided to do this to the VLX?
Old    sandvign            07-01-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
^^^ I assume you are talking about the indents on the side of the new VLX hull? I wasnt sure how I felt about the look of them at first either. They serve no purpose other than pure aesthetics. I must say though that after seeing them in person and riding the new VLX hull that I am now a fan. They fit with the aggressive look of the VLX and the new wake is sick. Huge improvement over the previous VLX hull.

As far as the tower goes Im gonna hold my opinion until I see one in person and feel how rugged it is. I'm sure it looks better than it does in some of the pictures (I think it looks crazy tall), but if its a beefy tower that doesn't shake all over, I dig it.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
> "the new wake is sick. Huge improvement over the previous VLX hull"

I was very disappointed with the 2009 VLX stock wake. I thought it was paltry with max ballast and wedge. A lot of people are telling me that it is inferior to the previous wake.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-01-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
That tower looks like it belongs on a WakeCraft from the pictures, I bet it looks better in person.
Old    sandvign            07-01-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
The '09 I rode had 3000+ lbs in it and power wedge. I really liked how it was super clean with long transition, minimal trough, and the power wedge adjusted right gave a little lip. Maybe its my limited experience with a fully weighted pre '09 but the new wake just hit me the right way. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
The wider beam is definitely going to change it up compared to what people are used to. It's similar to how the Nautique 210 changed from 06 to 07....mellowed out the wake, wider, less trough, less vert....

I have an 08 23LSV, and they widened the beam that year on my boat. Some people have a difficult time with the wider wake, and I feel that you have to add more weight to it to make the proportions right. Personally....I like it that way....allows me to take wake2wake tricks bigger...more floaty.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-01-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I'm curious why wakes are moving toward more mellow than peaky? Do you think we will ever see a new model boat throw a wake as peaky as the old SAN or the 205V hull? I really don't...
Old    K.B.C.            07-01-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
^^^Epic 23V, although its the only one. The industry trend seems to be bigger and rampier which is a direct result of making bigger, roomier boats. Hopefully at some point we'll start to see some of the smaller boats with the steeper wakes come back, I like them A LOT and think its a shame that they've been phased out.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
the SAN wake change was a good one. I hope the new VLX wake doesn't get any rampier than the previous generation.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-01-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
We have a 2010 LSV at the shop, the new tower looks much better in person then in any of the pics posted. The slope is less then the illusion, but does not look odd in person. The tower is very, very solid no sway when towing or when hanging off it like a monkey. Fit and finish are next perfect. Illusion was never a very well build tower, but has proven to be very functional. This tower combines the fit and finish with great functionality.
Old    sandvign            07-01-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
You got any snapshots of that there 2010 for our viewing pleasure?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
johnny, do you know if the option to order it fully powder coated will be available, and color matched?

UHH FINE, its growing on me, i give a little but not sold yet.......
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2009, 10:48 PM Reply   
I agree.

The new SAN wake is better for my taste. They went from too steep to very nice (less abrupt but not too rampy).

The new BU wake going more rampy is a mistake in my opinion. It seemed even more rampy than my 2000 VLX which leaves me wanting a better wake.

There is definitely a sweet spot between steep and rampy and everyone's ideal is a little different.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I rode a stock ballast '09 VLX and it was by far better than the '08 and prior
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-02-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Nick, I was not able to get shots last night becuase it rolled in after dark and my camera flash is not working. I'll have it for a couple more days so I'll get some picks and post them up.
Bryan, not sure the options for color. Regardless it looks to be easier to remove from the boat then the Illusion was, a couple bolts on each side and she's off to a powder coater for a color change if needed. When I had my tower done it was $450 to powder coat it, plus about 2 hours of time to remove/install the tower.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Johnny-who did your powder coating, if you don't mind? I have been thinking about doing mine white.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-02-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Nu Bu, you scared Derek off I think.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-02-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Nick, your boat would look clean with a white tower. I had mine done by Farben Finishes, but he has since retired. There are lots of shops in the bay area that will powdercoat, it is not rocket science by any means. You should be able to find a place in Salinas or Gilroy. I ran a quick search on Google "powder coating in Salinas" it came back with 6 shops in Salinas.

Here are a few names I recognize.
Crosslink Powder Coating Salinas
Hy-Tech Powder Coating, Inc
Custom Coaters
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
Johnny-thanks for the info. I searched for powder coaters a few months ago and found some of the same shops you mentioned. However, I hadn't heard of any of them before. I'm just trying to get a feel for the total cost including the removal and replacement of the tower. I think I need to talk to you about my stereo too.
Old     (adam)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-02-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
Nick, I have a buddy that powdercoats in Turlock.... His name is Alex, cool ass guy...

http://www.calhotcoating.com/
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
AP-thanks for the referral. Unless his price is right, it would probably be a bit easier to use somebody closer to Salinas.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-02-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I think I kind of like that tower. I'd like to see one in person, but the later pictures look the best.

When that Tige tower came out I figured Metcraft may of screwed the pooch. Guess they did...
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Not sure that did it to be honest look at the economy look at how many companies are going out of business how few boats are being made with the costs of going up just building towers may not be sustainable. Not sure but maybe Metcraft saw the writing on the wall that BU was getting ready to come out with their own tower and said we need to get someone to sell a tower too. CC is getting their towers elsewhere, so is MC and BU working on their own that leaves Tige who they had a relationship in the past. Just a thought if you have the resources typically in the US its cheaper to manufacture something yourself. Not the same if your outsourcing it to China. Metcraft filing is sad people will be losing jobs because of it.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-03-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
"I rode a stock ballast '09 VLX and it was by far better than the '08 and prior"

How do you improve on what was and still is the best wake in the industry- the "05-"08 VLX. Far better??? I don't think so.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
^ the 09' was awful!!!!!! What are you talking about.

Old wakesetters weren't to bad, but this last year, wowza.... something went crazy and it was pitiful.

Remember the 2/3 people who demoed a few boats, all of them said something along the lines of, "Wow, this years wakesetter was a total let down..." .... because it was.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-03-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
My point exactly Nick.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
I don't think the wakeboard wake is any better, but the surf wave is way way better on the 09'.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-04-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Nick (ndavis03), drop me a line I have a shop in Modesto that I totaly forgot about. We can remove and replace the tower at the shop and send it out for coating. look us up on our website or 411.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-04-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
i swear i just saw the above white and teal boat coming down hwy 17? was driving home over the hill this am and was noticing a bunch of boats going the other way. then in the distance i notice a bu, i do a double take and i see holes in the tower with a chrome tube going up the outside. well, whoever you are that has that boat, go have some fun with it today and be careful gonna be crazy out there.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Sorry Peter T! .... didn't see the quotes, thought you were claimin the 09 was better.... which as we both know is totally not the case.

Maybe malibu should just give up and make surf boats.... all those extra board racks you can hang a lot of weight off of
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
With the power wedge you can bump it up a few clicks and make the wake much steeper for those that prefer steepness to a rampy wake.