Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-17-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
They early released the first episode of Wake Brothers on MTV.com today.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/wakebrothe...playlist.jhtml
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-17-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Damn it...my fios isnt hooked up until Saturday!!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
After watching 10 minutes, I think this show will accomplish something no one was asking for; make wakeboarding more popular with idiots while driving current older boarders away.

Entertaining, but get ready for more stupidity on the water when you boat.

Last edited by MattieK27; 07-17-2012 at 2:45 PM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-17-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
well, i dont know what I was hoping for.....but I dont think this was it. I guess I wanted to see way more wakeboarding and way less filler, but then again its wakeboarding MTV style so.....

That Said, that rail was beefy! Major Demo Factor!

Last edited by andy_nintzel; 07-17-2012 at 3:44 PM.
Old    9Drozd            07-17-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
The rail at the end was pretty gnarly.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
I thought they showed a good amount of wakeboarding! For a show where people are not looking to watch them ride I thought they had more than enough. BTW harley clifford is frikin hilarious
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-17-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
That was a solid shot Adam E took to the chest.

Overall It was entertaining. Bob was..... well, Bob.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-17-2012, 4:34 PM Reply   
Insert random MTV reality show + wakeboarding and this is it. Their different "character types" were a little over done, but oh well.

Riding was cool. I'd like to see more P.I.G. It would be cool to see more "day in the life" storyline
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-17-2012, 4:35 PM Reply   
I love living in Canada so I can get access to all the shows on MTV and Netflix!!!!!!!!! But honestly, after the NBC coverage of the Wake Open this weekend, including any wakeboarding at all in the show will be great. If two hours of television dedicated to a single event manages to show so little of the actual event, a single wakeboarding trick on Wake Brothers will be a win in my books.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-17-2012, 4:55 PM Reply   
I liked the episode a lot, actually a pretty entertaining show that will eventually get better and better through out the season. I feel like any TV show like this, the first episode is usually the worst
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-17-2012, 7:04 PM Reply   

There it is for anyone who hasn't been able to see it. It's like the B-Roll of Bob from Slick City times 100.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-17-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
Dude you're killing me, that video doesnt work in Canada either.
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-17-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
Apparently the Soven house is the place to be. Anyone notice the whose who of pros around there?

Rusty, Palma, Harley, Adam, Dallas, Parks, Dean
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-17-2012, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Dude you're killing me, that video doesnt work in Canada either.
Arghhh same here!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-17-2012, 11:09 PM Reply   
Regardless of what my expectations were going into it, I was entertained and I will watch episode 2.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2012, 11:58 PM Reply   
If girls start to watch this show they are going to expect a lot more from us while watching us ride from the boat.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-18-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
what a tough life all of those guys have....
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-18-2012, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9645glazier View Post
Apparently the Soven house is the place to be. Anyone notice the whose who of pros around there?

Rusty, Palma, Harley, Adam, Dallas, Parks, Dean
Did you think they were going to miss out on the camera time? Everything on "reality" tv is fake. Regardless of whether or not they are all friends and hang out together regularly, I can almost guarantee that was all arranged ahead of time.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschall View Post
if girls start to watch this show they are going to expect a lot more from us while watching us ride from the boat.
agreed
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
The show is retarded... but Bob can be funny. I love the line when they are talking about Dallas: "Should i just like share her with her boyfriend?" lol
Old     (STLBlues4)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-18-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
If Bob is anything like the character he plays in the show, I don't think I could handle being around him for more than about 5 minutes
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-18-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
that rail was insane!!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-18-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
Pretty entertaining with a fair amount of riding. You can tell that Phil isn't the most popular with the rest of the pro's, with the heated freeride discussion with Adam E toward the first of the show. Phil is a very good rider, but very arrogant and always wants to win. Of course all the pros are going to come out of the woodwork to hang out at the Soven's house when they know MTV is filming. With no wake in X-Games, this was probably their best chance of getting face time on National TV. Bob is hilarious. I met Bob when he, Parks and Dean Smith came out to the boat line at the Acworth Pro Tour stop a coupe of years ago and he was just as wild and spontaneous then too. I think he is just wired to be a nut.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
I love Phil's line: "Whatever you call 'free-riding' that's what I call 'practicing at home.'" lol. He's so serious.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
I will watch this show.
Phil comes off as a douche
Bob comes off as a goofy likeable guy (I don't actually believe he is a virgin)
Harley seems cool.
Dallas is still hot.
I don't think Dallas likes Bob Soven sexually.
I'm intrigued. I always liked the lifestyle parts of wake videos so this seems like an orgasmic lifestyle asplosion all over my tv.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
I actually enjoyed it more than I think I should have.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
Oh, and Dallas is definitely hot in my book.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-18-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
Oh, and Dallas is definitely hot in my book.
Have u guys seen her in person?? Just wondering lol

Other assumptions of Phil & Bob are pretty dead on from my exp
Old     (jhuff79)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
The Pilot Episode is free on Itunes now.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Almost asked the same question lol
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Good to see that no one here is judgmental.

Love the show. I can't wait to see more.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-18-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
It's all going to be fake and set-ups like most other "reality" shows but I'm glad it's on TV and I can't wait to add it to my series recordings (at least for one season).
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-18-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
Yes and she smokes. OH NO.

Tell me you wouldn't meet a girl that pretty who rides that well, and not be attracted to her. Brother please.

Also hot: Leslie Kent. She's on my Celeb-Exception list since 1998 ish.

I have heard bad things about Phil Soven. Nothing to smear around here but it is interesting to see him bicker with his brother and go... "yeah I can see how he probably did that at a tour stop or two"

Is this all shot in and around Bore'lando?

Phil is really socially awkaward tending toward autism or Asperger's. I remember reading something about how he suffered a head injury some years back. I am glad he's overcome all of that and I am wondering if they'll cover that during the run of this show.
Pretty sure it was Bob who had the head injury.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Sorry yes that's right it's Bob. My apologies
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-18-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post

Tell me you wouldn't meet a girl that pretty who rides that well, and not be attracted to her. Brother please.

I have heard bad things about Phil Soven. Nothing to smear around here but it is interesting to see him bicker with his brother and go... "yeah I can see how he probably did that at a tour stop or two"

Bob is really socially awkaward tending toward autism or Asperger's. I remember reading something about how he suffered a head injury some years back. I am glad he's overcome all of that and I am wondering if they'll cover that during the run of this show.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-18-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
I hope to enjoy this series.

Im not going to sit here and bash her. I have my reasons.
Old    sperbet            07-18-2012, 1:40 PM Reply   
Pleasantly surprised. That was pretty damn funny.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-18-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post

Bob is really socially awkaward tending toward autism or Asperger's. I remember reading something about how he suffered a head injury some years back. I am glad he's overcome all of that and I am wondering if they'll cover that during the run of this show.
When I was a teenager I was all about Leslie Kent, Sarah Cline, and Sam Owens... Sarah Cline in that gstring!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-18-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
I think its time for Pics....
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-18-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Just watched this... I thought it was pretty good!! Seem like normal wakeboard dudes getting into shennanigans!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-19-2012, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
When I was a teenager I was all about Leslie Kent, Sarah Cline, and Sam Owens... Sarah Cline in that gstring!
Yup. This. Good call.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-19-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Watched. Was Entertained. Will Watch Again.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-19-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
This is exactly the reception I thought this show would have on here. Some people are too core and worried about how it portrays the sport, others are stoked to see the behind the scenes of our favorite pros and others are just happy to be entertained with some riding and tom foolery.

It's MTV, for as bad as they could have made this show, it turned out fine. It was modestly entertaining and its our sport getting good coverage. I hope it stays on the air as I'm curious where they take it and if they can keep it moving forward (not that any other reality show actually does that). To follow the fellas around away from home would be pretty entertaining, whether it be a team trip or just a pro stop. Imagine the BroStock episode...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
MTV was following The Ginger Crusader around for the Wakegames filming. And from my exp, hes exactly like that in person
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-19-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
Hilarious!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-19-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbo View Post
agreed
I guess we're in trouble
Old     (wkbddad)      Join Date: May 2005       07-19-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
First episode was just the pilot. For the rest of the episodes, at Phil and Bob's request, the production company hired Sean Kilgus to shoot all the wakeboarding and he used the red camera to shoot.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 1:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbddad View Post
First episode was just the pilot. For the rest of the episodes, at Phil and Bob's request, the production company hired Sean Kilgus to shoot all the wakeboarding and he used the red camera to shoot.
Thank god... Hopefully they hired him to edit it too. You could tell whoever edited the riding in the pilot has no idea about wakeboarding tricks. The one promo they keep showing of Phil doing a nose 180 in some straight up saltwater chop, he lands right in the trough and looks like he's in some pain. Anyone else notice this?
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-20-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
I guess we're in trouble
LOL, indeed we are man!
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-20-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbddad View Post
yeah, thats great news for sure. i kept seeing updates from Kilgus on Twitter while he was filming
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2012, 6:35 AM Reply   
phil is too serious. I grew up with friends that were bros and they raced mx and the older one was serious like phil. we always joked with him and called him dad cause he was such a boner all the time.