Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
is it as easy as it sounds? can it be done? would this save thousands of dollars?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
For it to be of any value you would need to remove the existing axle and then mount two new ones. If you tried to mount a new one ahead or behind the existing one it would for sure be in the wrong location to help share the load.

Note that you would also need to remove the fender and install a new one.

The extra axle will add a couple hundred pounds of weight to the overall rig, so if you were just barely under the weight limit for needing brakes before you may need them now to be legal.

Now a question back to you: How good are your welding skills, especially in the inverted position?

Rod
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
I want to say that my axles are held on by U bolts.. not welded.. so I figured I would move th e current axle back a couple of inches and mount the same axle just slightly in front. Was thinking of getting the exact same axle as the current one... Im really not sure exactly how it all works, so I was hoping to get some insite on this type of project
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
You need new spring hangers welded on, the axles attach to the springs with u-bolts. Post up why you want/need to do this and I'm more guys can help figure out the best/safest/least expensive way to accomplish it.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-31-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
Brian, the biggest reason is the fear of a blowout on the freeway in 1 tire.. so much damage can happen to the axle, trailer and boat. 3 wheels on the ground is better than 1.

2. I like the way it looks

3. double axle trailers tow alot nicer
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-31-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
If it were me, I would pull the boat off the trailer, measure where the new parts were going to be installed to keep the weight balanced with proper tongue weight (Of course the trailer manufacturer might be able to offer up measurements, or copy a similar trailer), cut the old brackets and fenders off, then flip the trailer over. Weld new mounts on, put the axles back under it, and fabricate the new fender corners etc. needed. Paint is a whole other story. As mentioned above you will need brakes if you trailer does not already have them (Could require cutting the tongue off and replacing it).

Do you have the tools and skills needed is a better question?? You will need a good welder, some type of cutting tools (Plasma/die grinder etc.), 4-5" grinder, and other assorted items. A broken weld can send your boat into other vehicles, with serious implications.

Sure sounds easier and cheaper to sell yours and buy another trailer or carry a spare and deal with what you own.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
great post Peter.. I will contact Karavan to see what they think of the idea and see what advice they can offer as well

Thanks