Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mc30)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-25-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
I have a friend that is looking for an older v drive. He has found a couple of nautique excels. Is it possible to get a nice wake out of these boats? If so, how do they compare to the newer boats? Also with the engine being a carb, can he expect issues with ethanol fuel?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-25-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
it has a great wake. it needs weight to compete with todays wakeboard boats.the carb isn't a problem if you are going to store for 6 months or longer.you just add the marine blue stabilizer to your last tank of gas , shut off the fuel valve on the filter and run it out of gas on the trailer. then what gas is left in the carb will be treated and the tank will be full. no extra air in the tank then so no moisture to absorb.the next spring add some alcohol based water absorber and you'll be good to go.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-27-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have been looking at one recently. My research has led me to these conclusions.

It can produce a good wake (height) but lacks the solid nature of the supersport/sante signature wake. Weight needs to be added to the front just as much as it needs to be added to the rear. Too much rear weight will have a negative effect.

Very very hard to dial in a surf wake, especially if your normal foot.

Be sure to go 93 or newer, Nautique moved away from wood stringers and floors to full fiberglass construction in 1993. The excel is a good boat for wakeboarding, especially if you ride in choppy water. The carb on the one I am looking at is one of the sticking points, I'm done messing with those things.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Matt you need to buy that Excel of Tim's in Tennessee It is the absolute worst time ever for me to make the 30 hour trip down to get it or I would be.

new interior, perfect pass, rebuilt carb, v drive, open bow, 8 grand..... I don't think you can go wrong.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-28-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Matt- great info. I was considering these as an option but w/ your conclusions and robert's info from a previous thread, these take too much effort to make into a good wake boat. And with some of the asking prices I've seen, sellers think that vdrive alone gives it a premium value...though 8k for what Dwight listed sounds like a steal.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-28-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
Matt you need to buy that Excel of Tim's in Tennessee It is the absolute worst time ever for me to make the 30 hour trip down to get it or I would be.

new interior, perfect pass, rebuilt carb, v drive, open bow, 8 grand..... I don't think you can go wrong.
It's a great deal for the right buyer. I'm still weighing my options, but here's my thoughts. The carb needs some adjusting since the secondaries dont kick in, and I hate hate hate messing with carbs. The carpet needs to be replaced, and that over-sized trailer concerns me. That, plus the fact I would need to add a tower, ballast bags, and travel over 11 hours to get it all factor in. Plus I am really starting to get into surfIng (easier on the body), and I have read a lot of threads about issues creating a regular footed surf wake with the Excel.

It's a nice boat, and Tim is a great guy, but it might not be my best bet with my current schedule. (I struggle to find time on the water, nevermind doing extensive work on a boat)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
I am almost sure that in the 2001s Nautique went away from wooden stringers in 89. I would guess that they probably did that in the excels then too.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-30-2010, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon4pres View Post
I am almost sure that in the 2001s Nautique went away from wooden stringers in 89. I would guess that they probably did that in the excels then too.
I am completely sure Correct Craft (Nautique) continued wood construction for floors & stringers until 1993. For clarification:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/refer...ex.asp?page=04

Click on new for '93 (1)

There might be a few promo boats from 1992 that CC tested the fiberglass stringer system with still floating around, but thats it. If its before 1993, its got wood stringers and floors.